Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
ryback
Searching For The Term...

In most of the dojos i've seen there is a person whose duty is to be close to the sensei,mind the door,bring to the sensei his notes,prepare his Gi,e.t.c...Does anyone know the Japanese term for the person who performs those duties?Thanks in advance...
Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Searching For The Term...

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
In most of the dojos i've seen there is a person whose duty is to be close to the sensei,mind the door,bring to the sensei his notes,prepare his Gi,e.t.c...Does anyone know the Japanese term for the person who performs those duties?Thanks in advance...
You mean "otomo"?

Best,

Chris

Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
ryback

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
You mean "otomo"?

Best,

Chris
I don't know,could be...Thank you very much for your response!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
I don't know,could be...Thank you very much for your response!
Yup, Otomo is the term I have heard most often. "Honorable/great friend", or ukemi and luggage carrying bitch, in the current common vernacular. Hard work, kinda glad my sensei does not expect it from us.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Nothing wrong with being an otomo - good practice, it sharpens the mind. Although it is a much easier task nowadays then in the training days of O Sensei.

Tom
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Nothing wrong with being an otomo - good practice, it sharpens the mind. Although it is a much easier task nowadays then in the training days of O Sensei.

Tom
Very good practice! I never served as much of an otomo, but what little experience I had in a similar capacity was very good for sharpening my attention...I remember surprising my friends a few times with my ability to read their intentions (little things like wanting an item off a shelf or what have you) so quickly they looked at me like I had just read their mind (I simply observed their body language and responded right away). The uchi deshi at our school (usually only one active at a time) have a more intensive experience than I ever did...particularly around New Years, which lasts about 3 days or so. I've often thought how I'd like to experience that, but also at the same time how pleasant it is not to have to always be quite so "on." I think awareness like this is usually more important than proficient technique...not that technical ability isn't also very important, just that I think the ability to read intention/body language is generally more applicable to day to day life.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
ryback

Thank you everybody for your replies,they 've been most helpful!!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Otomo is not really correct unless the question is about the person who accompanies a teacher on a trip. O is an honorific. It does not mean great. Tomo is attendant. Friend is a different word.

Deshi or uchi deshi could be possible as in Matthew's post.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Krystal Locke
United_States

Tomo, tomodachi, I was told that the root kanji was the same. Great, did a little research, indeed different kanji. Guess the information I get from those who should know is not always correct.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Otomo is not really correct unless the question is about the person who accompanies a teacher on a trip. O is an honorific. It does not mean great. Tomo is attendant. Friend is a different word.

Like a medieval squire.

Tom
Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
Adam Huss

United_States

I also always thought otomo was used during traveling, or away trips, but I'm certainly no expert. I think tetsudai is assistant or something...but not sure on the exact context. Uchideshi is something very specific, as is sotodeshi. Could be that, though...all depends on the individual student's role.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post

Thanks, Niall! I did confuse the examples. I was thinking of times when I would travel with Sensei Barrish to Canada for a private training, but then related that experience to what the uchi deshi commonly experience in terms of attending to the needs of the sensei, guests, and the dojo in general. I was just trying to comment on the idea of training the attention; which means I was a little off-topic too, sorry.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 12-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Gambarimashyo!