Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2000, 02:57 PM   #1
BC
Ai symbol

Many of us feel that aikido isn't viewed by non-practitioners as being as interesting or beautiful to watch as say tai chi, wu shu, aiido, etc. But those of us who do practice aikido know differently, right?

So, with that in mind, what do you believe is the most aesthetically beautiful aikido technique to watch? I'm not thinking stricly in terms of nage, but also the technique in consideration of both nage and uke, and the "interplay" between them.

One of my favorites is iriminage with uke executing a breakfall at the end instead of an ushiro ukemi, and with a nice zanshin by uke. Ahhhh...nothing quite like it!

-BC
Old 09-21-2000, 03:49 PM   #2
lt-rentaroo
BC,

I believe the different variations (munetsuki, katatetori) of kaitenage are aesthetically pleasing to observe. I agree with the iriminage as well. Actually, I think many Aikido techniques are very interesting to watch. If uke and nage work together (as they should), then all Aikido technique is beautiful to watch. That's my opinion at least.

"shuchu roku" - Focus all your energy to one point

- Louis
Old 09-21-2000, 03:51 PM   #3
marcus
Dojo: Iyasaka Aikido Dojo
I think a well performed kotegaeshi (ura) is extremely beautiful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that it is often considered a bit simple and sort of brutal, but I don't agree with that at all. I think it's very dynamic and the michibiki moment in the ura is great. And as you said BC, a gracefully executed breakfall in the end adds that little extra...

marcus
Old 09-21-2000, 04:21 PM   #4
akiy

I prefer to see a spontaneous technique borne out of something like jiyuwaza, one which neither uke nor nage had planned on doing but happens quite naturally.

-- Jun

PS: "Roku" means "six." "Ryoku" means "power."

[Edited by akiy on September 21, 2000 at 04:23pm]

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-21-2000, 11:29 PM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Quote:
akiy wrote:
I prefer to see a spontaneous technique borne out of something like jiyuwaza, one which neither uke nor nage had planned on doing but happens quite naturally.

-- Jun

I agree with Jun. Breathtaking stuff!

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 09-22-2000, 06:50 AM   #6
chillzATL
United_States
anything very dynamic really. When you see nage throw uke and there is little force or contact but uke really goes flying. Some of my favorite examples of this that I have witnessed are irimi-nage, kata-otoshi and various kokyu-nage. You can just tell by the look on ukes face that they aren't really sure what happened, great stuff.
Old 09-22-2000, 08:13 AM   #7
lt-rentaroo
akiy,

Thank you for the observation. I understand that "roku" means six and that "ryoku" means power, however the statement was a quote made by sensei Gozo Shioda, the founder of the Yoshinkan style of Aikido. The quote was found on the Chudokan Aikido dojo website located at http://www.mnsi.net/~chudo/ Please excuse this post for not focusing on the original question, my desire was to explain why I quoted what I read, not what I understood. Again, thank you for the observation.

Louis
Old 09-22-2000, 09:44 AM   #8
AndrewS
"AndrewS"
IP Hash: 1af36c03
Dojo: British Aikido Fellowship, B'Ham UK
Anonymous User
Smile Beauty

To watch a beginner, for the first time, execute a clean, well-balanced technique of any flavour is a marvel to behold.

However my particular favourite is multiple attack scenarios. To see a high grade execute techniques one after the other; flowing one technique into another is quite breath taking.

I am, but nothing else, a traveller; someone seeking …. something he can't quite see or feel …. Yet
Old 09-22-2000, 09:58 AM   #9
BC
OK Jun, now you've made me change my mind. You just reminded me of a throw one of my sempai did recently during jiyuwaza - he did one of the coolest kokyunage's I have ever seen. Uke went flying, landed like a feather, with a look of wonder on his face, and nage's zanshin looked like he was about to start doing a Mexican Hat Dance.

-BC
Old 09-27-2000, 03:19 PM   #10
chrisinbrasil
Dojo: Lenwakan
Thumbs down Beautiful...

I´ve always enjoyed the beauty of transitions. First apply kotegaeshi, uke lands and rolls out to escape and stand up. Still holding uke, a nikkyo is applied lowering uke to the ground. From nikkyo move into sankyo and a forward throw. Simple, fluent, and extremely impressive. 1...2...3...throw!
I wish I could demonstrate since I didn´t quite paint the picture but oh well.
At your service,
Christopher

At your service,
Christopher Wilson
Hito no tachiba wo kanga eru.
Old 09-28-2000, 06:23 AM   #11
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
I think that one of the most amazing to watch is a perfectly flowing sankyo- nothing flashy, but if done correctly(ie, by someone much more highly ranked than myself) it is a single complete movement that doesn't stop until the pin. I suppose the same could be said for the other --kyo techniques, but I like the circular movements of sankyo.

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi
Old 09-28-2000, 08:21 AM   #12
Yozzer
Dojo: Chester (Ryusuikan)
Talking

So many techniques to choose from. One that springs to mind as a personal favourite is something simple and flowing, for preference performed by higher ranked students. This being tenkan sumiotoshi from tsuki or shomen, with good attacks and smooth breakfalls.

Just an afterthought, I think that hakama improve the visual impact of all such flowing techniques.

Paul