Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Thomas Osborn
Dojo: Aikido of Northampton
United_States
"dealing With Stuff With Out Hurting"

4/24/10 f [0s, 6 v] I Two new vets. Talked about "mindfulness", focusing on inner self and each specific area being used in a technique. During warm-ups, stressed breathing and relaxing to center during all warm-up moves, focusing on the muscle group being used.

Worked from gyaku hanmi [cross hold]. Started with ikkyo and progressed to nikkyo, omote [front] and ura [behind]. Most people are relaxing and centering much better.

After demonstrating an ura technique, one of the guys didn't want to do it. When I talked to him, he said it looked too dangerous to his partner [uke]. I had him do the technique on me as I talked him through it, stressing being relaxed in his upper body so he could be sensitive to the effect the move was having on me [uke]. He did pretty well, so I had him do it a couple of more times with out help. He said I was just going along and letting him do it [which I was the first two times, but not the last] so I had him do it with his partner, who didn't know how to go along. His comment was,"Oh shit, this stuff really works. I can deal with stuff without hurting anyone!".

This echos what a number of guys have said, they like knowing that they can deal effectively with aggression with out necessarily hurting anyone. If they learn that relaxing and remaining centered is what does this, I will be giving them the most important skill I can in the six weeks I've got.

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada
Re: "dealing With Stuff With Out Hurting"

Relaxing and centering, this is the key. After having read your post I have to agree. When you're relaxed and centered, it seems to me to be conducive to harmonizing, thereby inflicting the least amount of harm. I am always so worried about hurting someone during practice ( though I am getting better), I think that makes it harder for me to relax, not realizing that I could potentially do more harm than not. I feel as if I just had a revelation. Relax and center, it makes a great practice for all concerned

Last edited by Rayleen Dehmke : 04-25-2010 at 07:58 PM.