Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Doka of the day 10 December 2010

The Pine, the Bamboo, and the Plum.
The make up of Ki that we are training to purify
From where do they arise?
The Water and Fire of the change in the self.

Morihei Ueshiba

I like this doka. The reference to the elements of fire and water echoes Miyamoto Musashi in the Book of Five Rings. I talked about these elements in in a blog post on Takeda Shingen's motto: wind forest fire mountain http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/moon-in...mountain-3961/

I wondered about the significance of the pine, the bamboo and the plum and Carina Reinhardt kindly sent me a quote from O Sensei and an interesting link to a Shaolin Kempo page.

Study the teachings of the pine tree, the bamboo, and the plum blossom. The pine is evergreen, firmly rooted, and venerable. The bamboo is strong, resilient, unbreakable. The plum blossom is hardy, fragrant, and elegant.
O Sensei, The Art of Peace

Sho (Matsuda): Pine
Evergreens live long, young, and healthy lives. The pine symbolizes faithful friendship which resists all trials. The pine represents the religion of Taoism. The Japanese people use pine needles for ornaments on Christmas and New Year.
Chiku (Take): Bamboo
Bamboo represents Honesty. When you cut into bamboo, you find emptiness inside. Nothing evil is hidden within. Also, Kosho Ryu practitioners remain ever empty, and open to additional knowledge, never becoming full of themselves and their accomplishments. The bamboo is the symbol of the application of discipline and the man who remains loyal in all events. Bamboo represents the Japanese religion of Buddhism.
Bai (Baika): Plum Flower
The Japanese plum flower stands for beauty, nobility, and courage. This is because the plum flower puts forth blossoms while the snow is still on the ground. The plum tree flowers before all the others. The Japanese people love the plum fruit. They especially eat plums when they are sick. Plum represents the Japanese religion of Shintoism

Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu (Hawaiian Shaolin Kempo) http://www.bagnas.com/goldenleopard/mon.html

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
guest1234567
Spain
Re: Doka of the day 10 December 2010

Thanks Niall, your new avatar looks great Your" wind forest fire mountain" post is also excellent, I like everything about the elements very much and also the pine and the bamboo, But here I'd like to share something my yoga teacher told me once about the plum, better I say umeboshi, when you are getting X-rays it is good to suck one to repel them.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
guest1234567
Spain

(continued)Umeboshi (Japanese: 梅干; literally "dried ume") are pickled ume fruits common in Japan. Ume (Prunus mume) is a species of fruit-bearing tree in the genus Prunus, which is often called a plum but is actually more closely related to the apricot. Umeboshi are a popular kind of tsukemono (pickles) and are extremely sour and salty. They are usually served as side dishes for rice or stuffed inside of rice balls (sometimes without removing their seeds inside) for breakfast and lunch. They are occasionally served boiled or seasoned for dinner.

Pickled ume which are not dried are called umezuke (梅漬け).
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi
Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
The Pine, the Bamboo, and the Plum.
The make up of Ki that we are training to purify
From where do they arise?
The Water and Fire of the change in the self.

Morihei Ueshiba
He's talking about sake, wasn't he?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
niall

Japan

I didn't think of that but you could be right!

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
guest1234567
Spain

About the pine: a few years ago there was a great fire in the pine forest here in Gran Canaria, it reached even a few towns and it was necessary to evacuate persons. Yesterday I made a walk in that pine forest, I still saw the black trunks of the pines, but there were green leaves everywhere. So the pine is also a symbol of recovery also.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
niall

Japan

I just wrote a blog post on some of these points related to the end of the year/new year as Jim mentioned:

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/moon-in...er-green-4092/

w b yeats