Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
"Unkido"
IP Hash: 35098e05
Anonymous User
Being held back...

I should be up for my 2nd Kyu test anytime now. There is another student that started training around the same time that I did. We usually test at the same time. He has some medical issues that make it difficult for him to train at a more physical/rigorous pace. Over the past year or more it seems that it has gotten more difficult for him. Since we are a rural dojo I'm limited on training partners. I feel like its starting to affect my training as well. I haven't brought it up to Sensei. I'm trying to keep the ego out of it and see it for what it is.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

How did you deal with it?

Is it worth discussing with Sensei?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
kewms
Re: Being held back...

Well, you might want to do some thinking about the relative importance of your 2nd kyu test and the other student's health.

But putting that aside, are you the two most senior people in the dojo? Aren't there any yudansha available to train with? If you're a small dojo, aren't you able to get one-on-one time with your instructor?

Katherine
Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Why would you not talk to your Sensei about it?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I'm wondering if there is anyone else with whom you can train? How many other potential partners do you have?

I've personally found that I learn more when the other person is less skilled than when they are more so, as long as I'm being observed by a highly skilled person to keep things going "in the right direction." But, that's just me.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

It happens that, while I have folks senior with me to do test prep with, there is one class a week that is generally Sensei, me, and a young man several ranks and many many years junior to me. He is a fine test prep partner for me because I am aware of slowing down and paying more attention to form....please refer to this thread http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23771

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Your training is up to you. You should train with whomever is available at the time and make the most of that time. If your usual training partner has other commitments, that is fine. Focus on yourself.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I should be up for my 2nd Kyu test anytime now. There is another student that started training around the same time that I did. We usually test at the same time. He has some medical issues that make it difficult for him to train at a more physical/rigorous pace. Over the past year or more it seems that it has gotten more difficult for him. Since we are a rural dojo I'm limited on training partners. I feel like its starting to affect my training as well. I haven't brought it up to Sensei. I'm trying to keep the ego out of it and see it for what it is.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

How did you deal with it?

Is it worth discussing with Sensei?
Many, many, people have this problem. I am from a rural school just outside of a large metro area. The presence, or lack thereof, of one or two students can make a world of difference in the class experience. You should definitely talk with your sensei about it. So few students are willing to sit down and discuss their training, and their training goals with their teacher. I took a page out of my military experience and encourage students to sit for a periodic counseling; where we can discuss things like the students deficiencies and proficiencies, what they need to focus on for upcoming tests, how they see their role in the dojo, things they like or dislike about the dojo atmosphere, etc. I would have a discussion with your teacher about your thoughts and feelings. There's nothing wrong with a student wanting to push themselves. Its not your current partner's fault he's having physical difficulty, but at the same time you should be striving to train at a level to get you ready for your next examination, and help you better yourself.

Its no shocker that you need similar training partners to help each other progress. Its a justifiable concern. Fellow student's are going to get injured, sick, move, etc. It can be frustrating not having someone who can train at a similar level as you. I have a friend who left his aikido dojo and started training in jujitsu because he had no one he could train with that would push him to be better. Instead of being content with stagnant training, he decided to train in another art.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

It's definitely worth discussing with Sensei, but in what way do you think that this other student's absence is affecting your training? Do you think that you're not getting training opportunities because this other student is not there?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Krystal Locke
United_States

Train up your kohai. Make yourself some good ukes. You've been doing it all along and if there isn't anyone else that'll be of value to you as a training partner, you've been doing it wrong.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
He has some medical issues that make it difficult for him to train at a more physical/rigorous pace... I feel like its starting to affect my training as well.
My gut reaction to this is to say, you poor darling. Must be so hard for you to have to suffer being around this guy. He really owes you an apology- the nerve, having medical issues.

Of course I'm not there, so this comment could be off the mark. I only have your words to judge- no tone or facial expressions. So if this sounds rude, ignore it. If it hits home a bit....

I train with a 71 year old Nidan. I'm always thrilled to have any mat time with him. Same with our uncordinated white belts. They are little puzzles waiting to teach me something each time. So general advice is to work on details with the folks that are hard to throw and energy with the younger belts. Works out well.