Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #26
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Help buying Katana

In budo, it should always be:

Training first, tools later.

Otherwise:

Tools first, well, tool later.

cg

Old 03-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #27
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

The phrase I like to use is: "All the gear and no idea"

It happens oh so often that someone takes up a new hobby and spends large sums of money on equipment:

Takes up mountain biking spends £500 (about 1000 USD for those who don't know the current exchange rate) on a new bike. Quits biking a few months later, it's 'boring'. Sells bike on E-Bay.

Takes up hiking and spends £250 on boots and clothing etc. Decides hiking is not for them after a few months, it's 'not for me and none of my friends want to come hiking'. Can't sell stuff on E-Bay so gives it to a friend.

Takes up Kendo, buys £500 bogu and swords, quits kendo after 6 months because 'it's a sport not a martial art, I want the real deal'.

Takes up iaido, spends £750 on a half decent shinken (knows a bit about swords after doing kendo), quits iaido after maybe 9 months due to 'knee trouble'.

Takes up shooting, buys rifle, has accident involving safety catch and loses a few toes. Quits shooting as it's 'too dangerous'.

It might appear that the above person is flighty or never finishes something they start doing. But. In fact they do have one dedicated and sincere hobby which they are very good at: Shopping for expensive and exotic sports equipment....

"All the gear and no idea" has stopped me buying a Fender telecaster on a number of occasions

Regards

Mike Haft

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

By the way I should add for the benefit of the original poster that, joking aside, please consider that those who have responded to you really and genuinely are just looking out for you. Try reading this thread on the kendo-world forums:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sho...iaido+accident

It's three pages long and discusses accidents that experienced practitioners have had with sharp swords....

Regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 03-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #29
Talon

Dojo: Aikido Zenshin Dojo
Canada

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote: View Post
Sounds like you need to do a LOT more research. There is no such thing as a real sword for $300. The cheapest legit japanese-style swords I know of are from Bugei Trading Company, are over $1000 each, and have no "blood groove". The cheapest legit sword with the groove will be closer to twice that. Something with any antique value or renowned craftsmanship will be much more expensive still. For $300 you can get a basic aluminum Iaito, or two or three stamped-out, fake decorative swords, but nothing that is even remotely a real katana.
It appears that depending on what you consider real, there may be real possibilities in obtaining a functional razor sharp hi carbon steel Katana that can be flexed to 45 degrees and return to true center for udner $200 or so. check out this review:

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/hand-made-swords.html

Now, I'm not what you consider "real sword" so I can't comment further but this katana looks definitelly "real" enough to me.

Paul