Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Talking Dojo Brawl (TM)

Judo has competition; the Tomiki-ryu people has shiai, BJJ people has their UFC. In line with current trend, YoshinOrge should start something similar e.g., DOJO BRAWL (TM).

How is DOJO BRAWL ver 1.0 (TM) different from the rest?

Well, for starters... this event will consist of one shite/tori against four ukes. Ukes are welcome to attack shite anyway the want, left or right side using standard aikido strikes or grabs.

Shite's job is to effect a technique on these incoming ukes. Points are awarded for a properly executed technique. Ippon points for full clean technique, waza ari for non ippon but still effective technique upon agreement by the judges. After a preset period of time, points are tally, and the players with most points wins some nice shiny medals. Uke's are welcome to feint, change attack midway, resist to simulate real life situation.

What do you think. You think we've got something nice working here? Fellow YoshinOrge, what do you think?

Boon.

P/s I know this is sacrilege; but then I also want pretty shiny medals.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Dojo Brawl (TM)

Hmmm...Sounds fun. But I think we should all get shiny medals and get rid of the judges.

Hmmm...Maybe we should change the rules so that we get to attack the judges...and he that gets the most judges wins

Hmmm...We could also turn out all the lights and try it in a completely dark dojo...he.she who is last standing winneth.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-11-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Sounds like a great initiation rite - The Dojo of Darkness.

I used to do Nippon Kenpo and recall once armoring up and turning off the lights. Bump, pummel, pummel, argghhh!!! Great fun. Of course no one got to see your stellar technique.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-11-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Sounds like a great initiation rite - The Dojo of Darkness.

I used to do Nippon Kenpo and recall once armoring up and turning off the lights. Bump, pummel, pummel, argghhh!!! Great fun. Of course no one got to see your stellar technique.

...ah,must have been before the magic of the low-light/no-light digital video cameras... It would have been nice to see...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Absolutely disgusting, I've never read such an uncompromising trouncing of the traditions and true spirit of aikido - shiny medals indeed, everyone knows you should only compete for my little ponys - shame on you all!!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Hmmm...Maybe we should change the rules so that we get to attack the judges...and he that gets the most judges wins
The only down fall to this idea is if those judges are the likes of Inoue, Takeno, Chida and Ando Sensie's, to name a few. Could make for a really bad experience and no shinny metals.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

!! I was thinking the exact same thing Steven!

uch:

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
United_States

By the way, I believe there IS already 'competition' in YoshinOrc (TM)....the annual All Japan Yoshinkan festival gives awards to best technique and the like, doesn't it?

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
The only down fall to this idea is if those judges are the likes of Inoue, Takeno, Chida and Ando Sensie's, to name a few. Could make for a really bad experience and no shinny metals.
LOL attack any of those guys and get a nice shiny body bag... ;-)
Old 05-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
the annual All Japan Yoshinkan festival

RT
Why is the first image that pops into my head a large muddy field full of hairy metallers-cum-klingons stomping and moshing and generally rioting?

How can this be? I've never seen any Yoshinkan aikido before!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Say Boon,

do you think you can start one unofficially? And sorta open the doors a bit so its not an exclusive yoshinkaners club only? It would be a really cool thing to have. Me and my friends would be the first to join. Maybe its like a 1 month once kinda event...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #12
Michael Neal

I don't know why this is in the humor section, it really is a good idea to be quite honest. You can remove the shiny medals if you want but the rest is great.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #13
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Steven...I'll tell you what. You grab 'em and I'll hit 'em :-)

--Someone who has temporarily usurped Stumpy's computer

Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:

--Someone who has temporarily usurped Stumpy's computer
Now wait a minute... How about YOU try to hold them, then if succesful, I'll hit em!

<-- what you'll look like after trying to hold them.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #15
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Now wait a minute... How about YOU try to hold them, then if succesful, I'll hit em!
What do you mean "If Successful"...Oh yea of little faith

However, I still feel this is your big chance to make a name for yourself...so you hold 'em.

Which reminds me of a senshusei story - go figure - we used to sit down in seiza 5 mins before class. As we were sitting down my friend/partner/uke/shite guy would often say "Okay...when the Sensei comes in and faces the far wall just before the rei...let's rush him."

We always told him that we would be "right behind him"

--Stumpy Computer Usurper (temp)

Old 05-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #16
xuzen

Malaysia

Seeing how things are going... rules must be introduced to make this Dojo Brawl (TM) slightly safe. We want the participant to go back with shiny medals not shiny body bag, OK?

Rule 1.0: -
Judges are judge, they should not be use for target practice. They are exempted from actual participation (maikerus and steven... be nice).

Ian Hurst said:-
Quote:
Absolutely disgusting, I've never read such an uncompromising trouncing of the traditions and true spirit of aikido - shiny medals indeed, everyone knows you should only compete for my little ponys - shame on you all!!
It's OK, Ian. Don't have to be so worked up over this... Those who understand, understand perfectly. You keep the ponies, I want my precioussssssss!

Ron Tisdale said:-
Quote:
By the way, I believe there IS already 'competition' in YoshinOrc (TM)....the annual All Japan Yoshinkan festival gives awards to best technique and the like, doesn't it?
Yeah? Do they give out nice little shiny medals? Well they have the Oscar and they also have the Razzies. How about having one called International YoshiOrge Dojo Brawl (TM) Festival?

Bridget Chung said:-
Quote:
How can this be? I've never seen any Yoshinkan aikido before!
Just follow the trail of blood and sweat.

Abasan said:-
Quote:
do you think you can start one unofficially? And sorta open the doors a bit so its not an exclusive yoshinkaners club only? It would be a really cool thing to have. Me and my friends would be the first to join. Maybe its like a 1 month once kinda event...
OK, the venue has gotta be air-conditioned. You know how high the temperature soars in equatorial Malaysia.

M. Neal said:-
Quote:
I don't know why this is in the humor section, it really is a good idea to be quite honest. You can remove the shiny medals if you want but the rest is great.
Glad we see eye to eye. You judoka people have the Olympics' nice shiny medal too, so why deny ours?

Steven Miranda and Michael Stuempel said:-
Quote:

Steven and Mike, be nice. Please refer to Rule 1.0.

Boon.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #17
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Steven Miranda and Michael Stuempel said:-

Steven and Mike, be nice. Please refer to Rule 1.0.
Oh gee, shucks Boon. You never let us do *anything* fun

--Stumpy Computer Usurper (filling in for Michael Stuempel temporarily)

Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #18
Keith_k
Dojo: Kim's Hapkido
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
This is in the humor section because of the taboo of (gasp) suggesting that aikidoka should compete. Competition is bad! Bad! Bad! Bad! O'Sensei said so!
When going against the accepted social grain it is often good to leave yourself an out, ie "I was just joking," to avoid ostracizing by the mainstream.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #19
Zato Ichi

Boon, you're overcomplicating things. It should be kinda like Thunderdome - five aikidoka enter, one aikidoka leaves. The others leave a little later after they regain concious. Get a steel cage too.

Trust me, rules and referees can only get in the way of a good brawl. Stupid shodohai.

PS If I ever get off my lazy ass, I'll be using this as inspiration for the further Adventures of Shodothug!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #20
xuzen

Malaysia

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
Boon, you're over complicating things. It should be kinda like Thunderdome - five aikidoka enter, one aikidoka leaves. The others leave a little later after they regain conscious. Get a steel cage too.

Trust me, rules and referees can only get in the way of a good brawl. Stupid shodo-hai.

PS If I ever get off my lazy ass, I'll be using this as inspiration for the further Adventures of Shodo thug!
Hello Hori-Thug,

Ever the distinguished Thug you are. This idea also came up from friends who PMed me. Look out for Dojo Brawl (TM) ver 2.0: The Xtreme Challenge.

One contender, 4 shihan (any style). 3 minutes time period, contender remain standing, he/she wins nice shiny medals, advertisement contract whatever, If not, he gets a choice of how he/she would like to be carried out; by stretcher, wheelchair or even wheel barrow.

Boon.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #21
Ron Tisdale
United_States

You guys kill me! Michael and Steven...you've got it all wrong...You need at LEAST two people to hold 'em, and one to do the hitting! I hereby nominate BOTH of you to do the holding! :

Ron (soon to be in a coma anyway...one solid month of shiho is sure to do me in, especially since its getting hot and humid now!)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------