Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #1
Uke4life
Back in the game

Hello all, and I am very pleased to be back. I have been gone for sometime now, due to lack of dojos to work at, but now moved to college and found a great one. I will be going to a seminar in a couple of weeks, and being my first seminar, and am actually kind of nervous. I did aikido in my home town for about 2 yrs, yet at my current dojo they do things quite differently. Now that this seminar is approaching I am afraid to get there and make a fool of myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. NOTE: The style of aikido I now do is called Jiyushinkai. If you know anything of this too plz add that, Thanks, and safe training to all.

It is not the destination, but the journey.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Back in the game

Quote:
Arno Stemmer (Uke4life) wrote:
NOTE: The style of aikido I now do is called Jiyushinkai. If you know anything of this too plz add that, Thanks, and safe training to all.
Hi, Arno. I have never trained at a Jiyushinkai dojo but have had the pleasure of attending seminar at which Chuck Clark taught. The teaching methodology is different than in many other styles, but from what I can tell the focus is on an initial grounding in solid basics that lead to effective fluid and soft aikido. Clark Sensei sometimes pops up here, so he can better address your questions, but what I would say is this:

GO TO A SEMINAR! I attended my own organization's summer camp as an unranked newbie and found that by and large folks were happy to slow down, work with me, and generally make me feel welcome. Others have had similar experiences in their own organizations too.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-18-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Uke4life
Yeah, I agree, I have heard great things about Clark Sensei. I am looking for to it, yet at the same time can't help but feel slightly nervous. However, I hope I have the time of my life. Thanks for the reply. More info would be greatly appreciated!!! Train safe!!!

Old 09-18-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Mr. Stemmer,

I don't know which of our dojo that you've joined, but depending on which one it is... we hide the bodies in different places in each one, you see.

I can't really tell you what there is to be "nervous" about because we have some real characters in all of them. As many will tell you my main catch phrase is, "Don't worry nuthin's gonna be alright."

I have no idea what your expectations are, but rest assured that most likely your experience won't match those expectations.

I'm sure you'll have an interesting time and be well taken care of as you take part in our system.

Gambatte!

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 09-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #5
Uke4life
Clark Sensei, I can't believe you actually wrote on my thread. LOL, I am actually writing this with a smile on my face. For you to have written on my thread makes my day. I have recently started at our little club at Texas A&M with Justin Burns and Rodrigo(spelling ?). I am definately enjoying every practice. The reason for my apprehension was at my last dojo, I never went to anything like the seminar I am going to in a couple of weeks. Please don't get me wrong, I am extremely pumped about going. It's all I talk about. Anyways, thank you for the reply...Train Safely to everyone!!!