Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
Misogi-no-Gyo
Downloading Private message function

Hi Jun,

I wasn't sure of where to post this, so please feel free to move it to the appropriate area as you see fit.

I recently became aware that the function to save private messages (download them via XML, CSV or Text) does not seem to be working.

I am sure that there is no secret technique that I need to know, or some chant that goes along with pressing the save button. However, should there be please let me know what seminar I need to attend to learn of such things and I will be glad to attend.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, of course at your convenience.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Downloading Private message function

Hi Shaun,

I'll take a look at it...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Misogi-no-Gyo

Jun,

Thank you.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Shaun,

I just tried downloading my private messages in all three formats (XML, CSV, and text) and had no problems. All three files contained my private messages and their format looked OK to me.

I don't know which browser you're using, but you may want to be sure you're downloading and saving the files onto your local drive.

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Old 08-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Misogi-no-Gyo

Hi Jun,

Thanks for checking into it. FYI - I am using the latest version of IE (patched and secure). I never have any issues downloading anything. Perhaps we can see if anyone else who may be listening can or can not download them. When I try downloading them, I select one, or several by putting a check in the box at the far right, select Download as XML, text, or CSV, and then click on the Go button to the right of the drop-down list. I then get a message asking me if I want to save or open it, and when selecting save, I get an error message that says Internet Explorer cannot download private.php from www.aikiweb.com.

Can anyone else verify this one way or the other. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Shaun,

Works for me, I saved it as a .csv file then opened in excel. Didn't even notice you could do that! So...you helped me, but I don't think I've just helped you...

Sorry,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Misogi-no-Gyo

Incidentally, I am using McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise Version 8.0.0 that has many web-related security features enabled. I disabled all of them (not recommended given the potential risks) but alas, I still have the same issue.

I did try this in an alternate viewer (Mozilla's Firefox) and it does seem to work. Interesting...

Can anyone else verify their ability or inability to download and save their private messages?

Old 08-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
akiy

Hi Shaun,

I just tried what you outlined above (in message #5) using IE 6 on Windows XP. I selected a few messages, select "Download as CSV", and then hit the "go" button. The browser then asked me where I wanted to save the .csv, and I selected my Desktop. I was then able to open up the file in Excel to view it. I was able to the same for XML and text formats as well.

-- Jun

Old 08-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Hi Shaun,

Works for me, I saved it as a .csv file then opened in excel. Didn't even notice you could do that! So...you helped me, but I don't think I've just helped you...

Sorry,
Ron

Thanks Ron!

It is a nice feature, indeed. Since I am able to use an alternate web browser, all is not lost. However, I thought it was important to bring it up in case it was a system-wide issue so Jun would be aware that there may be a problem.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Shaun,

I just tried what you outlined above (in message #5) using IE 6 on Windows XP. I selected a few messages, select "Download as CSV", and then hit the "go" button. The browser then asked me where I wanted to save the .csv, and I selected my Desktop. I was then able to open up the file in Excel to view it. I was able to the same for XML and text formats as well.

-- Jun
Thanks Jun!

I, too am on XP-Pro, but for whatever reason am having this issue only with the AikiWeb web site. I was able to get what I needed with FireFox, but I wanted to note the issue in case others have similar problems. Perhaps we could track it down, perhaps not.

This is a GREAT feature, so in any case the thread will highlight it for those who didn't know they could download and save their private messages.