Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-05-2001, 11:19 PM   #1
Michell Knight
Dojo: Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu
Question Origin of Phrase

I read an interesting phrase on this site a few months ago and never noted the point of origin (literary source or spontaneous insight!). The phrase was Mu shin Mu gamae (No mind no stance). I would appreciate any info, thank you!
Michell

Michell Knight, P.A.-C
Old 12-06-2001, 06:54 AM   #2
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Origin of Phrase

Quote:
Originally posted by Michell Knight
I read an interesting phrase on this site a few months ago and never noted the point of origin (literary source or spontaneous insight!). The phrase was Mu shin Mu gamae (No mind no stance). I would appreciate any info, thank you!
Michell
Hi Michell,

'Mushin mugamae' originates with Kenji Tomiki, it was one of his favourite phrases. A Google search turns up a few bits of information about it online. Paul Wildish mentions it in an article on the JAA-USA website.

Professor Tomiki was a wonderful calligrapher, and there is a large scroll bearing the words 'mushin mugamae' in his own hand on the shomen of the Shodokan honbu dojo in Osaka.

(And a smaller reproduction of it on the wall of the dojo where I train.)

Sean
x
Old 12-06-2001, 07:18 AM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
When I left Shodokan Honbu the first time (after a three year period studying there) I was given a copy of the scroll. The large one is not at the shomen at Shodokan Honbu but to the side - but it is big.

I scanned the scroll and have it displayed on my site. Go to the Aikido site (address below) and then click on the white Shodokan gif.

The phrase means no mind no stance and reflects both the physical and mental distillation of how Kenji Tomiki saw his budo at the highest levels.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-06-2001, 11:55 AM   #4
Michell Knight
Thank You!

Thanks to Peter and Sean for you quick responses! The first time I saw this phrase, it stuck in my mind until eventually it has grown into a significant source of meditation. It has such truth and beauty, as well as inspiration! I think of it each time I step onto the tatami.
Domo Arigato Gozaimashita
Michell

Michell Knight, P.A.-C
Old 12-06-2001, 12:11 PM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Thank You!

It has that effect on me as well. I notice that you describe your study as Daito Ryu. When Kenji Tomiki as a young man studied with Ueshiba M. it was in Daito Ryu and as is pointed about by Stanley Pranin Tomiki placed his art firmly in the context of Japanese historical budo.

Quote:
Originally posted by Michell Knight
Thanks to Peter and Sean for you quick responses! The first time I saw this phrase, it stuck in my mind until eventually it has grown into a significant source of meditation. It has such truth and beauty, as well as inspiration! I think of it each time I step onto the tatami.
Domo Arigato Gozaimashita
Michell

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-06-2001, 12:48 PM   #6
Michell Knight
Daito Ryu

After reading the articles offered in the above posts, I also noted the mention of Daito Ryu. I am constantly humbled by the caliber of people I find linked to Daito Ryu. It reminds me of the awesome responsibility that I owe to the Ryu as well. I am taking my 4th Kyu "any time" (as my Sensei says!). He has added Happo Giri--to "keep me on my toes" (He also says that alot!). My dojo takes study of the budo art quite seriously and history is very much a part of our testing. Every extension or pivot, we are reminded of the heritage of those before us. I have been quite privileged to train and visit with Bernie Lau Sensei, where I can SEE and FEEL the kihon of budo. (Of course it's not hard to feel the art every time you train when your dojo has only hard wooden floors!)
I see you train Shodokan (I enjoyed your site). My sensei has previous Shodokan training and occasiionally adds a bit to our training (extension over the front knee during throws and pins). Other than that, I only know what I see here!
Again, thanks for your response.

Michell Knight, P.A.-C