Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 AM   #26
driri
Dojo: Aikikan Enschede
Netherlands
Re: Aikido at forty

Hi Carl,

I started at 40, two years ago together with my son of 18. I take it a little slower than my son, but I am sure glad I did start!
Sure, it is really exhausting sometimes but always very rewarding.
Finding the right dojo is very important, but when you do I am sure that you will enjou every minute and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Have fun!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #27
David Warden
Dojo: UKUA Hartlepool
United Kingdom

Hi Carl,
I know many people, me included, who started in their 40's. It is not a problem. I have had back problems for years and have found that all the rolling and moving has improved my back flexibility, it is just the rest of the body that is falling apart.
There are dojos from several organisations/styles near Thornaby, check out the dojo search on British Aikido Board website for details.
The group I train with,UKAU, has three dojos within 20 minutes of Thornaby, training Mon,Wed and Fri so you are more than welcome to pop in for a chat to see what we do and I am sure the other groups would be happy to discuss it with you as well.
Aside from all the aches and pains, it is the best thing I have taken up and have just returned from a excellent week long course in Strasbourg.
Good hunting
Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #28
arderljohn
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club
Philippines

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote: View Post
Dear Aikidoists,

I am forty and still thinking of taking up Aikido. Thing is, some of those throws look a bit difficult. Has there ever been on record anyone who has rolled and broken their neck on a first uke?

I don't want to be the first!

I think I can do it, if I take it gently at first. You can only know when you try, I suppose. I don't want to leave it any longer. Aikido may be regarded as 'soft', but some of those throws are fantastic! I don't definitely don't want to leave it until i'm fifty, or even forty five. It's now or never.

I'm not planning on using Ki to make me fly through the air and land on my feet, so no sarcasm, please!
if you wanna try it, just be relax,be yourself, and mostly, streching is most important. everyone can pratice the art of aikido.

Goodluck to you!

Calm down my friend, everything is under control.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #29
Kenn
Dojo: looking for a new one
United_States

Carl,

I just turned forty a few months ago. Although I have studied Aikido and some other arts over the last 10-15 years, I haven't been training for a bit now and will begin Aikido again in the next few weeks.

Get in there and train my friend, you will not regret it. The only thing I regret about my Aikdo training is that I ever stopped in the first place.

Age, although relevant to physically ability to a certain extent should me but a small barrier for you. An anecdote for you: I was at a seminar with Yamada Sensei at USF in Tampa.(at the time I was training with Nobu Arakawa Sensei in Tampa, FL. Hi Sensei if you're reading this.) Well, were doing a form of Nikkyo and apprently I wasn't doing it exactly correctly. so Yamada Sensei comes over, and offers his wrist. I go to grab and before I am even able to grip, I was on the mat with my arm behind me, pinned. Now I'm not sure exactly how old Yamada sensei is, but I know he's over 40.

Carl, go get 'em. Train as hard as you are able. BTW, where areyou located? Perhaps some on here could help you find a compatible dojo in your area.

Peace, Kenn

Kenn

Remember, the only way to be happy always, is to be happy always, without reason.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:36 AM   #30
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote: View Post
Dear Aikidoists,

I am forty and still thinking of taking up Aikido. Thing is, some of those throws look a bit difficult. Has there ever been on record anyone who has rolled and broken their neck on a first uke?
I started Aikido at 40 in 1993. Admittedly, I had a judo background from 72-80, competitive rowing for a few years also. Started Aikido with a very tender lower back, was receiving relatively regular treatment for it. After a few months of Aikido the physio said that my back was stronger, more flexible, and more stable than she'd seen it.
I'm USUALLY ok... Little niggles tend to take longer to heal, but I'm usually fitter with Aikido than without. I've had long gaps with little training, and it has only been after a few weeks back at Aikido after a gap, that I'm fitter, more able to work, more able to move without a stiff hip and back...
If you're 40 and have a sports/fitness background it will take a while to get your Aikido up and running, so to speak, because in a lot of movements, it's a lot like learning to walk over again.
If you're 40 and have a no sports/fitness background, it will take a while, and partly it will take a while to get your fitness up, but as with most new activities, the fitness and the skill rise almost hand in hand...
Cheers
W
Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #31
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

46 now I started my present Aikido practice when I was 31 I echo the comments about stretching. My Sensei is a certified Yoga Instructor too. I have been trying to slide on it but if I don't keep stretching I have a terrible time blending and have to use too much strenght.

We had a guy get his Shodan at 70. His can't move like a man in his 30's or 40's but his Martial Spirit is huge.

William Hazen
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #32
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

This thread reads like a "confessions of a late aikido starter fest". Good on all of us chronologically challenged folk.

My advice, stop reading all the good advice here, and start practicing. In the future encourage all of those who are in the same position as you are now, with your own story of how you were over 40 when you started!

Hope you find a good dojo.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #33
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
We had a guy get his Shodan at 70. His can't move like a man in his 30's or 40's but his Martial Spirit is huge.
This is very inspiring!!!!

Last edited by jennyvanwest : 09-15-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: can't type, obviously.