Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2001, 12:57 AM   #26
DiNalt
Re: Vodka

Quote:
Erik wrote:
Quote:
DiNalt wrote:
Yes I pour vodka on my garlic plants to help them grow.
Actually, smart guy, I've spent time in Mother Russia. This particular combination (excluding the plants) was consumed semi-regularly while I was there and I actually thought it was fairly decent. It seemed to take the edge off the vodka. I've never seen it done here though.
Here's an analogy for you, Erik.

Suppose that aliens traveled from another galaxy and landed on Earth.

Particularly, they landed in a small American town which is full of redneck drunks.

Then they flew back to their home planet.

Imagine what they'll tell their superiors about Earth.
Old 02-28-2001, 10:25 AM   #27
Erik
Re: Re: Vodka

Quote:
DiNalt wrote:
Here's an analogy for you, Erik.

Suppose that aliens traveled from another galaxy and landed on Earth.

Particularly, they landed in a small American town which is full of redneck drunks.

Then they flew back to their home planet.

Imagine what they'll tell their superiors about Earth.
Actually, if they could fly all the way here, one would expect aliens to be smart enough to notice that there are people all over this planet and to conduct a more dispassionate study. Then again, the differences are probably a lot smaller than we typically imagine.

Obviously, you think I'm implying that all the people in the former Soviet Union sat around all day drinking vodka and nothing else. This would be wrong, I also saw the consumption of lots of other kinds of alcohol while I was there.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one and it was a cheap shot.

PS: I did genuinely enjoy that drink.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:02 PM   #28
DiNalt
Re: Re: Re: Vodka

Quote:
Erik wrote:

Actually, if they could fly all the way here, one would expect aliens to be smart enough to notice that there are people all over this planet and to conduct a more dispassionate study. Then again, the differences are probably a lot smaller than we typically imagine.

Obviously, you think I'm implying that all the people in the former Soviet Union sat around all day drinking vodka and nothing else. This would be wrong, I also saw the consumption of lots of other kinds of alcohol while I was there.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one and it was a cheap shot.

PS: I did genuinely enjoy that drink.

[/b]
They ran out of fuel, but thankfully they were able to make just enough to get back home by robbing drunks in that redneck town and recycling the alcohol.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:50 PM   #29
Erik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Vodka

Quote:
DiNalt wrote:
They ran out of fuel, but thankfully they were able to make just enough to get back home by robbing drunks in that redneck town and recycling the alcohol.
What I'm really wondering is if the prez ordered them to carpet bomb Pluto on their way home. I've heard rumours that Pluto is an Iraqui no-fly zone but the government will neither confirm nor deny this one. I believe it's all a government coverup.

[Edited by Erik on February 28, 2001 at 01:54pm]
Old 02-28-2001, 05:44 PM   #30
Mike Collins
United_States
Aikidoka make better lovers???!!??

I've been married for 20 years!

If I trained as often as I make love, I'd have a new teacher every class, cause the old ones would keep retiring.

Course then again, my wife and my teacher both give me the same look of disappointment and disapproval after a performance, so maybe you're on to something.

And I do fall better than I throw. Maybe I'm concentrating on the wrong part of the art.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:46 AM   #31
Mabuse
Dojo: Cambridge
If there's one thing I've learned, it's never to make jokes about sex in an international forum. You never know who's culture you're dealing with.

That said, here's some British humour on the subject < http://www.reberhardt.freeserve.co.u.../10reasons.htm>.

Richard
Old 03-01-2001, 08:19 AM   #32
akiy

Quote:
Mikey wrote:
And I do fall better than I throw. Maybe I'm concentrating on the wrong part of the art.
Not in my mind...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-01-2001, 09:23 AM   #33
BC
Good one Mikey! LOL!

I'm sure glad I don't get tested on making love. I'm afraid to think what the rank requirements might be!

P.S. - Maybe this thread should be moved to the Humor section to avoid any misunderstandings by some folks?

Robert Cronin
Old 03-01-2001, 11:34 AM   #34
jxa127
Smile Of course!

FWIW, I think good Aikido and good lovemaking share a lot of the same principles: sensitivity to your partner, a good sense of where both bodies are in space and in relation to each other, the ability to find ...um...openings (couldn't resist that one).

Aikido can make for some good play time -- even when fully clothed. There was one time when I was over at her apartment and she decided to attack me. I was on my hands and knees on her bed -- I think I was trying to get something that had slipped down between the bed and the wall. Anyway, my fiancee jumped on my back, but before all of her weight had settled on me, I took her wrist, popped up my hips, and gently took her over my shoulder and onto her bed. The whole throw only lasted a split second.

The look on her face after she suddenly found herself on her back and looking up at me instead of on my back and looking down at me was priceless.

-Drew Ames
Old 03-01-2001, 01:54 PM   #35
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
The Physicist Speaks

To keep this fun, and yet out of the humor section...
This question is not easy to answer. Can a corrilation be shown between sexual performance and aikido practice (normalized for basic, natural sexual prowess)? If there is a relationship, is it causal or just corrilative? Perhaps, aikido doesn't make one a better lover, but better lovers are drawn to practicing aikido. Both factors could be mixing in the system. Experiments on people are so hard to do scientifically and ethically. My sensei doesn't think that other apes can do aikido and I'm to busy/lazy to prove him wrong there. Once again the problem is proving whether chimps can/can't do aikido or Jim can/can't teach chimps aikido. If weekly practice were any indication, some biologist out there should miss the whole point and start argueing with me about whether humans and chimps are technically "apes".

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 03-01-2001, 04:54 PM   #36
chrisinbrasil
Dojo: Lenwakan
Unhappy

Oh shame shame, I´ve never been very good at either...

Practice, practice, practice...

At your service,
Christopher Wilson
Hito no tachiba wo kanga eru.
Old 03-03-2001, 04:17 PM   #37
paul spawforth
Dojo: wakefield tomiki aikido club
Smile

I'm not sure if studying aikido will make us better lovers, if it did i dont think my girlfriend would complain as much as she does about me going to aikido all the time!!!!
Old 03-03-2001, 04:20 PM   #38
paul spawforth
Dojo: wakefield tomiki aikido club
sorry for not signing the last reply!!!

Paul
yorkshire
ENGLAND
Old 03-03-2001, 05:36 PM   #39
Jim23
Grapplers do it better.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false