Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Nippon Disaster

It is informative and inspiring to read about efforts both large and small of people reaching out to help.

I hope we continue to hear from more people as both the realization of the magnitude of the problem in Japan and the need for help sinks in, and as various groups have time to pull things together.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 03-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
lrtomoleoni
United_States

We have arranged a benefit event-
April 16, 2011 10:00 am- 5:30 pm

Benefit Seminar at Aikido Shimboku Dojo, IL
All proceeds of this seminar will go toward disaster relief for the people of Japan.
Instruction by Marsha Turner Sensei, 5 dan, Chicago Aikikai, ASU and Lisa Tomoleoni Sensei, 5 dan, Aikikai
Please join us!
www.aikidoshimbokudojo.com
(847) 458-9309
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #28
Allen Beebe
United_States

Oooooo! A mix'n of the organizations . . . nothing good could ever come of THAT!

On the other hand, Earth quakes, Tsunamis and Radiation aren't known for being particularly exclusive are they! I'll bet that the people in need will be indiscriminately grateful for relief and help.

The ladies from Illinois may have something with their radically open minded, harmonious ways . . .

So we're inviting our BJJ, Kendo, Judo, etc. friends as well here in stump-town! I know, I know! But that's just how we roll out here, living life on the edge (of a shared major fault line. )

Which makes me think that we should be hearing from our fellow cliff hangers soon, no? CA? WA? (Good karma and all that! )

~ Allen Beebe
Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #29
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote: View Post
Hello,

I have been trying to contact Ryuji Shirakawa from Aikido Sinburenseijuku which I believe is in Sendai. Ryuji and his father were both at our 30th Anniversary seminar here in Calgary last August. Ryuji is the Acting Dojo Cho at this dojo.

If anyone has had contact or knows how we might reach him please let us know. We have emailed both to the dojo and his email contact but received no word at this time.( aikishinbu@yahoo.co.jp and aiki-shinbu_juku@sand.ocn.ne.jp )

Thanking you in advance
Andrew Barron
Technical Committee
Calgary Aikikai
Heard that they are all OK. Ryuji emailed me last night. It seems they only got seismic activity and avoided the flood.

Andrew Barron
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote: View Post
Heard that they are all OK. Ryuji emailed me last night. It seems they only got seismic activity and avoided the flood.
That is good news Andrew. I'm thankful for both them and you!

It is good to hear good news when most of what we hear is sadness.

Tragedy often produces unexpected heros. Over time I'm sure we will hear of dramatic instances of selfless acts of kindness and compassion.

Of course the number of unsung heros we will never know.

I have heard from friends in other arts of their efforts to raise money and send relief. It is a good thing.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #31
Michael Neal

I wish people would take warnings seriously, there was plenty of notice that a tsunami was coming and I saw people driving cars and walking right next to the shore when it hit. I am sure that most of those people in the video did not make it, it is a horrible thing to watch.

It is good to know that the warnings did save lots of lives, the previous big quake in Japan killed 150,000 people in 1923.

I hope for a fast recovery and that they find most of the missing people alive and well.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #32
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote: View Post
I wish people would take warnings seriously, there was plenty of notice that a tsunami was coming and I saw people driving cars and walking right next to the shore when it hit. I am sure that most of those people in the video did not make it, it is a horrible thing to watch.
I thought that there was only a 15-30 minute warning in Japan.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #33
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States

If anyone would like to donate to help those dojo that were damaged by the recent earthquakes in Japan and NZ but you don't know how to do it directly, we have set up http://www.dojoearthquakerelief.org to help transmit funds.

If you identify the dojo that you would like to benefit you can use paypal to make a donation.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #34
Michael Neal

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I thought that there was only a 15-30 minute warning in Japan.
People were driving cars right next to the coast and walking down the street with the alarms going off everywhere. I am sure it was difficult to evacuate but to just stay there is inconceivable. A 15 or 30 minute head start could be all the difference.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #35
Allen Beebe
United_States

Miracles DO happen!! I just received word that my nephew found my brother-inlaw in a hospital. He is ALIVE!!

Apparently in the window of time between when my sister-inlaw left to pick up their grand daughters and when the tsunami hit, my brother-inlaws's caretaker, who wasn't supposed to come that day, CAME and took him to a hospital thereby saving his life.

I can't express how happy I am right now . . . but of course there are so many others that don't have good news and there are many, many people that need our help.

Let's help the people who are just clinging to life and let's help those that will need aid re-building their lives.

Living here on the "ring of fire," this tragedy makes me want to be more prepared for disaster, but also makes me aware that, no matter how prepared one may be, we are all vulnerable. I know that I would want help for my family and myself if ground zero were here, so how can I not give help to "them" when I have the luxury of being safe, well, and comfortable. No. I must give help! It is the right thing to do. It is the logical thing to do. It maintains balance. It restores harmony.

So I will channel my joy and relief in the same way I channeled my sorrow and despair. I will take action. I will try to help.

I invite others to do the same. My brother-inlaw's care taker didn't just THINK about doing something . He/She didn't just FEEL He/She should do something. He/She DID something. He/She saved my loved one's life.

Don't just think. Don't just feel. Do!

Let's save some lives!

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
I've heard that my family in Sendai City are without water, electricity, etc. but are all okay there. My family that was near the coast weren't quite as lucky, but over all came out alright. My sister-inlaw, nephew, and his two young daughters are all okay and have gone to stay with the family in Sendai City. My sister-inlaw went to fetch her two grand daughters after the quake leaving my brother-inlaw at their house, planning to return shortly. My brother-inlaw was recently paralyzed from the waist down due to a surgical mishap and was confined to a wheelchair. After my sister-inlaw collected her grand daughters the tsunami came and she was unable to return home but rather directed to a refuge center. Her son caught up with her there. Their house was swept away in the tsunami and she believes that her husband perished along with their house.

My brother-inlaw that appears to have been swept away's name was Akama Norihiro. He was at least a 7th degree black belt in Judo. Until his retirement he was a police officer in the Tohoku region as well as Tokyo serving both in deeply rural regions and in major metropolitan areas. He taught Judo and Taiho Jutsu to police and also taught Judo at local public schools. His specialty in Judo was newaza. He also held yudansha ranks in Karate and Kendo. He and I used to hang out due to our common interests. I remember he would call me and tell me that he was going to come and "rescue" me. It was obvious that he was both loved and respected by his fellow officers, Judo students, and the public he served. He acted as "nakado" or matchmaker on more than one occasion and always felt a responsibility for those relationships. He loved seeing me flounder with Judo, nurtured my martial pursuits, and kept me entertained while keeping me out of trouble like a good big brother. We would get completely pasted and then he would routinely slap me in a good natured way just about knocking me out, grab my crotch and then pass out, it was like clockwork, . . . but then he would be up bright and early the next morning and fulfill whatever duties he might have. I really don't know how he stayed in money because he was endlessly spending it on others. He had a philosophy that one should give gifts that one valued one's self. I had to be careful what I might take interest in at his house because the greater the loss to him it seems the more likely he was to give it away. He would not abide selfishness in himself. Akamasan's favorite saying was a quote from Saigo Takamori, "敬天愛人Kei Ten Ai Jin." "Revere Heaven and Love Man." And he lived these words not in a pious and aloof way, but in a earthy, practical and pragmatic way. If, by some miracle, Akamasan is found to have survived the tsunami, I'm sure he will enjoy his years doting on his grandkids and driving his wife crazy. But if he was swept out to sea, I am equally sure that he would be grateful in the knowledge that his mother, wife, sons and grand children survived. The last time I saw Akamasan he took me to Okachi machi which is a small village in Tohoku famous for suzuri (ink stones) because he knew that I love Shodo (Japanese Calligraphy). He bought several suzuri for me and then special ordered a slate sheet custom carved with an image of Shirata sensei doing one of his favorite techniques and had the phrase "Masa Katsu Aa Katsu" carved on the front. HIs students had had a similar slate sheet carved for him with a depiction of his favorite Judo throw carved into it along with the phrase "Kai Ten Ai Jin." He loved his student's gift and therfore wanted me to have one as well. On the back he had the artist carve, "To Allen Beebe whom I love." I love you too Akamasan!

I could write more stories about my brother-inlaw, some of which are hilarious and quite bawdy! But I guess I'll save those for when I go drinking with my fellow Budo bums.

I wonder how many other wonderful people have perished and how many more are in need of our help right now. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is those that aren't in need that can help those that are. Can you help? If so, won't you help?

~ Allen Beebe
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #36
Janet Rosen

Every life is it's own bit of miracle; I'm so pleased for you and your family...may there be some more unanticipated relief among this horror.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #37
kewms

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote: View Post
People were driving cars right next to the coast and walking down the street with the alarms going off everywhere. I am sure it was difficult to evacuate but to just stay there is inconceivable. A 15 or 30 minute head start could be all the difference.
If you look at the satellite pictures, many of the worst hit areas are pretty flat. Not a lot of high ground to escape to. Also, Sendai is a city of a million people, and had just taken a direct hit from a major earthquake. I doubt evacuating was quite as simple as you seem to believe.

Katherine
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #38
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Hi Francis,

I have both loved ones and friends in the region hardest hit . . . or at least I hope I still do. However, one doesn't need to know someone there to care.

I'm in the process of trying to arrange an event to help and am thankfully already getting buy in. Please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll include you in the loop!

I've encouraged my guys in Europe to consider doing the same.

Doing something, regardless of the size, is better than doing nothing at all. All it takes is one person to start the ball rolling!

I'll post back as I have more concrete information to share about my efforts.

Thanks,
Allen
Allen,
Just got back from the Orlando Bridge seminar. I'd love to help out with an event... don't know if I have any weekends free at the right time though. I think I will donate a good portion of my seminar fee from the seminar at Marc Abrams dojo I am doing next weekend... That may be the best thing I can do... Let me know your plans...
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #39
crbateman

Quote:
Miracles DO happen!! I just received word that my nephew found my brother-inlaw in a hospital. He is ALIVE!!
This is truly great news! A ray of sunshine amid the sadness...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #40
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
That is great

Last edited by akiy : 03-15-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #41
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Nippon Disaster (Japan Earthquake)

Allen, thanks for your post and the subsequent good news!

I mentioned this in another thread but...any chance of AikiWeb creating a Red Cross donation thread as we did with Haiti?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #42
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

The news about Allen's brother in law is great! But I am still worried about Jun, who seems strangely absent from this thread. Akimaya sounds japanese to me. Could it be that he has friends and family among the victims?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #43
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece

I just wish and pray for the nightmare to end...
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #44
Janet Rosen

Jun reports his family is fine.

Janet Rosen
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #45
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Whew! That is good to hear, thanks Janet!
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #46
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Jun reports his family is fine.
Ah, that's good. But I am sure that they are not having a ball. Please Janet, tell Jun to tell them how much we are touched by their plight.
We can just do our little best, either by donating or by praying. In french, we say that gathered crumbs make a cake.
We know something about it where I live.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #47
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
France

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Guillaume

I am just watching this horror on TV, take care my friend.
My thoughts are with the people of Japan.

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Hi Henry

Thanks for your kind words. The situation is nerve breaking but we hang on. Please do keep one of those signed copy of Positive Aikido for me. Would really love to read it calmly once things have settled down

G

Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #48
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I contributed through the Red Cross through my company because they have a matching program. Please check with your employer to see if they will match, I am sure every little bit counts!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #49
Allen Beebe
United_States

Folks here in Portland Oregon are putting together a Budo Benefit for Japan Aid. It will feature at least six different Aikido dojo, BJJ, ECQC, Kendo, Koryu, and Judo all working together to raise funds for disaster aid.

Two Rivers Aikikai has generously agreed to host the event at their dojo. The event will be held Sunday, April 17th, 2011.

I will be posting more details in the near future. Until then, please mark your calendars! There will be lots of diverse input and plenty of opportunity to train in a friendly environment with the sole purpose of helping those in great need. Please join us Sunday, April 17th, 2011 at Two Rivers Aikikai, Portland Oregon!

Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #50
Janet Rosen

Allen, that sounds like a wonderful event!

Janet Rosen