Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom
What do you get from Aikido that you didn't get from a previous art.

Hi all,

Firstly, I am new to this forum so go easy please folks. I am a beginner in terms of Aikido, but my personal life intervened after only a few lessons. Having previously trained in Tae Kwon Do I found Aikido refreshing but frustrating. I am looking to get back into martial arts again, but have managed to bring doubt into whether Aikido is right for me.

I am not after martial art A is better than B because.........

However, I would be grateful for the insight into what individuals feel they do get out of Aikido that they personally didn't find in previous arts.

Thanks in advance for the replies (says he in hope),

Rich
Old 04-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Tennessee Mike
United_States
Re: What do you get from Aikido that you didn't get from a previous art.

I can think of four reasons.
1) In karate, I never felt easy about getting close to my opponent sparring always seemed as a bunch of long range attacks. Aikido gave me a different perspective and technique set.
2) Aikido gives a sense of community that I didnt see in karate. I see a more social atmosphere.
3) I have more options to dealing with threats. I dont have to devastate my opponent to win.
4) I have never met an sensei that didnt feel comfortable allowing their students to explore other martial arts. Aikido is like a path and it is the student that devotes their time and effort to move advancing and personalizing it.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
DonMagee
United_States

Hmm,

1) A chance to try things that I wouldn't try in sparing because I would get laughed at if it failed. I can work out the details with a very willing partner in aikido who conciders it quite normal.

2) Ukemi practice, I don't get enough practice falling, in judo we mostly throw on a crash mat, so besides randori in judo I usually don't fall down.

3) An outside viewpoint. When I show what I know to people in my aikido class, they usually have a what if or a why don't you to bring up. Sometimes I find it silly, sometimes I find it useful, but it helps me evaluate what I learned and look at it with fresh eyes.

4) A chance to look cool. Nothing makes you feel cooler then sending some guy flying through the air like he is in some kind of kungfu movie.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
mwible
Dojo: Aikido of Suenaka-Ha in Greater Richmond
United_States

hey, i also did TKD for a while before starting aikido(i still study it). and i found it very good practice for balance and hip movement. because aikido is all about your hips, you start and end all techniques from your hips. also you learn how to enter an attack rather than meet it head on. how to let and attacker follow his course get around him and then BAM! do anything u want. you can do some TKD or you can do any aikido move that u want, really. becaue aikido is also infinitly changeable. everything has room for improvement and change. and the amount of techniques is almost limitless, with the combination that u choose for any response. so, i find aikido a great asset for sparring, TKD poomses, and just general technique. any other questions from a fellow taekwondoka?
-morgan
Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom

Thanks for the responses folks.

I suppose the biggest issue I have is that I don't fully understand what I am looking for in a martial art. However, the comments about never feeling comfortable close in in karate strike a very familiar chord to my previous long range sparring experiences.

In essence, whilst I very much enjoyed Tae Kwon Do, the further along it's path I got, the less I was convinced about it being something I would devote so much time and effort to. As a result, although I may return to it, at this time I know I need a change.

May be a bit of a simple question from a newbie but, in what way is Aikido "infinitely changeable"?

Many thanks,
Rich
Old 04-20-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
dps

Quote:
Richard Toshney wrote: View Post
Hi all,

Firstly, I am new to this forum so go easy please folks. I am a beginner in terms of Aikido, but my personal life intervened after only a few lessons. Having previously trained in Tae Kwon Do I found Aikido refreshing but frustrating. I am looking to get back into martial arts again, but have managed to bring doubt into whether Aikido is right for me.

I am not after martial art A is better than B because.........

However, I would be grateful for the insight into what individuals feel they do get out of Aikido that they personally didn't find in previous arts.

Thanks in advance for the replies (says he in hope),

Rich
The one big difference I found between Tae Kwon Do and Aikido was in Tae Kwon Do the only time you practiced with a partner was as adversaries and in Aikido it is partners helping each other.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Dieter Haffner

Dojo: Tai Wa Lokeren, Budokai Mechelen
Belgium

Quote:
A nice hot shower and a few beers afterwards.

But I must admit that I only took a few judo starters lessons and I was only 6 at the time.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Maryellen Doak
Dojo: The Aikido Dojo
United_States

This is the koan of my life now - having studied karate previously I find my aikido training extremely challenging because I get reminded of my aggressive, defensive tendencies every time I get on the mat (and off the mat...yikes it's everywhere!). Not that karate created those parts of my being - they were already there. So in aikido as in previous martial arts training - I work to refine technique and self. A very difficult and lifelong endeavor.

You question is very good - thank you, I will be thinking alot about this now. From aikido I get and enjoy the endless ways in which we can blend with our partner and the endless ways we are challenged to do so.

Maryellen
Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
I suppose the biggest issue I have is that I don't fully understand what I am looking for in a martial art.
That's the best place to begin, by honestly asking that very question...and believe me, you're not alone! Most of the famous and legendary figures in martial arts history (including O'Sensei himself) spent literally decades of their lives doing exactly what you've now doing. Even us ordinary, rank-and-file practitioners spend several months to years of our lives wrestling with this very question.

The important thing is to be totally honest with yourself, do the necessary research, make the contacts, and then proceed with a clarity of mind & spirit. Until you identify & articulate for yourself what you want out of the martial arts...you're just going to chase your own tail.

Example: some folks love to compete in public venues and wish to win awards and acclaim. As such, they chose those martial arts/sports that will allow them to achieve this. Some folks like to fight, so they chose those martial arts/sports that allow them to do this in a legal manner. Some folks are very concerned about self-defense matters, so they chose those martial arts that will give them the requisite skills to protect themselves. You get my point...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Dan Reynolds
Dojo: Kyuskinkan
United_States

What I found that I get out of Aikido is the "Art of Peace" aspect of it. Other styles seemed to focus on the disabling of an opponent or pounding them in to submission. Leaving lasting damage to the body and some cases there soul. I like the idea that I can if needed, defend life but cause no harm or lasting damage to the one that is out of control. And hopefully can enlighten them in the process, like when O'Sensi would best an opponent and instead of killing them like the custom was in some cases, to teach them a new way. It is very easy for me to wage war I have been doing it my whole life.. Waging Peace is whole new thing for me..

So like you have said it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

"May be a bit of a simple question from a newbie but, in what way is Aikido "infinitely changeable"?"

O'Snesi in his teachings always encourged his students to "make Aikido there own" and also since most Aikido study includes the study and use of "KI". These two factors alone make Aikido infinitely changing. As Ki develops your waza will change also. As you make it your own it will change again. As you change and grow your waza will change also. O'Sensi said once that all waza's are unique and can never be reproduced. The basics maybe the same, but Aikido is infinitely changeable because you are infinitely changing

Last edited by Dan Reynolds : 04-20-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

A great black skirt.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

1) A true martial art

2) A budo that is pratical for self defense

3) A better understanding of the human body

4) A sense of peace

5) An alternative to conflict

I never had those feelings when I studied Kung Fu.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom

Thanks very much for the responses.

It seems that there are 2 distinct areas highlighted. The first being the physical skill set with the clear emphasis on self defence. I'm guessing that is one of the attractions for many ie. the means to seek the most peaceful resolution to a situation/conflict.

In summary, the second area is very much focused on the practitioners mind set. I can't really comment greatly on that side of things as I don't know that many aikidoka. Likewise I have previously studied an art with a definite sporting slant, so the Budo side of things is slightly alien.

You guys have given me a little more to think about, so I feel I need to start over with Aikido with an open mind. I don't know if it is the art for me, but then maybe my confusion comes from trying to compare dissimilar martial arts. You never know it could be the first step of a very long path. What is interesting is the different mindset. Most practitioners of martial arts talk about belts and years to gain a black belt etc. I find the most fascinating comments on this forum are from aikido practitioners saying they have only just started their journey after x number of years.

Thanks again folks,

Rich
Old 04-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

The ability to be nice.