Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Aikido3D

Recently while at the New York Aikikai's 40th aniversery summer camp, me and many other people got to watch a presentation about a new software package known as "aikido3D"

The software basicly acts as a database of techniques. You can search the database by the attack type, technique type, or testing requirements (USAF / Aikikai)

Once you've selected the technique and attack. You can watch a 3D nage and uke perform it. You can speed up, slow down, rotate and pan around, and even pause the video.

If you watch it in slow motion you can add a commentary that describes what's happening in the demonstration.

You can check out their website at http://www.aikido3d.com

There is not alot of information there. I kinda wish they would put up a video of what we got to see at the demonstration.

Anyway. Thought I should just bring this to the attention of the community.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 08-11-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Troy

Dojo: Yellow Springs Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido3D

I will defiantly be checking this out when it comes out!

"The Art of Peace is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions."
-Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-11-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Gareth Hinds
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston

Huh. That's a rather large and demanding animation task. Or a long and technically difficult mocap session. I assume they will be using some more-or-less-generally-accepted "standard" aikido such as what doshu demonstrates?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Even if 'non-standard', it should be interesting. I do have to admit I'd like to see a yosh. varient though...kudos to them for the work involved. Have you emailed them about putting up a demo?

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Matt Lih

Quote:
Gareth Hinds wrote:
Huh. That's a rather large and demanding animation task. Or a long and technically difficult mocap session. I assume they will be using some more-or-less-generally-accepted "standard" aikido such as what doshu demonstrates?
Maybe they use the same technique that's been used for NFL broadcasts. Multiple cameras record the action from several angles and the computers figure out how to generate the correct image for a given point of view. No animation or motion sensors needed.

Matt
Old 08-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela

From the description , it definitively had to be based on a 3D engine of some kind (because of the choice to rotate , zoom and pan) so i guess they must be using a motion capture system to produce the skeletals animations.

That would provide some interesting options like isolating certain movements , or maybe pick from a choice of actors the ones you want to see performing the techs?

I would love to see some weapons katas on this software too , a lots of nice things could be achieved certainly , good luck for those people.

Sadly the page doesnt host a lot of info , some videos and a demo as Ron suggested would be nice!

Yours respectfully

Otto

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 08-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

hmmm. The actual quality of the graphics is going to make for an interesting case study. I hope it works out. I think it has great potential...
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 PM   #8
p00kiethebear

United_States

Quote:
To answer some of these questions.

I got to talk with the head of the project.

The animation was first done with a few weeks of motion capture. However some of the more complicated animation (fingers for example) were done frame by frame.

The animation package used was Maya (4.5 ?)
The animation was then exprted into a format read by an engine that was built in shockwave 3d.

From what the guy said, all you would need to run it is an 8 meg open GL video card, so it should be available to the majority of the computer community.

I asked him what the price range is and he said anywhere from 40 - 50$. (about the price of a video game when first released)

I also brought up the idea of having other arts in it. He said they were thinking about releasing an expansion that also had sword kata.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
shaig
United_States

Hi Guys,

My name is Shai Golan, and I am the creator of Aikido3D.

I am glad you guys are interested and happy to tell you we will be putting up a new web site very soon. The new site will have lots of information about Aikido3D, screen shots etc.

Aikido3D will soon be available for purchase as well.

Feel free to email me at info@aikido3d.com with any questions.

Shai
Old 02-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
akiy

Aikido3D

Looks interesting:

"Aikido3D is a unique, interactive 3D Aikido training aid, designed to offer innovative ways to explore Aikido techniques and form."

http://www.aikido3d.com/

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #11
p00kiethebear

United_States

Geeze Jun

Whatever happened to looking up old threads before posting new ones.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Hrvoje

Tsk, in my day we had to go to the dojo and learn from our Sensei You youngins and your fancy virtual shiho nages ar eno match for true ki and dedicated study in an actual environment!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #13
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

I saw it at the USAF-East summer camp. They had Donovan Waite Shihan and, I think, one of the NY Aikikai deshi put on motion capture suits. They performed the techniques and the suits allowed their motions to be inputed into 3D software.

The resulting virtual uke moves like Donovan. The style is fairly standard Aikikai.

The software allows you to speed up, slow down, zoom in and view from any angle the basic techniques of Aikido. It's supposed to be a sort of textbook to supplement, not replace, training in the dojo.

The optional spiral attached to the virtual nage's center is a bit dorky.

The virtual Donovan has a removable hakama, so you can see the footwork. At the premiere, it was suggested, by someone who will remain nameless and who is not necessarily me, that the authors might be able to make more money if the hakama removal option was expanded to other items of clothing.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 02-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
akiy

There's also this:

http://www.adaptiveperception.com/

-- Jun

PS: I'd pay extra for an option to allow a selectable palette of different kinds of clothing for nage/uke...

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Brehan Crawford

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
PS: I'd pay extra for an option to allow a selectable palette of different kinds of clothing for nage/uke...
that's a fantastic idea. I've been wondering how I'd do shihonage wearing a top-hat or sombrero.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #16
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

I am sure it will be cool when it EVER actually is available.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #17
shaig
United_States

Hey guys,

Indeed it took us a little longer than expected to finish Aikido3D
but we wanted to support Mac users as well, etc...

Anyway, we are in Early Beta and should release soon. (no Sombreros though :-) )

Thanks for your continuing interest!

Shai Golan
Aikido3D Team
Old 06-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #18
SMART2o
Canada
Aikido3D

Hey all,

I found a nice little training aid. Check out www.Aikido3d.com. It uses motion capture technology so that you can watch a technique as slow or fast as you would like. You also get to modify the angles you see it from. Very useful for kyu ranks because you can view all the 5th thru 1st kyu requirements. It features the aikido of Donovan Waite Shihan. I feel it is worth a look, especially for those who may be taking a kyu test.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #19
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

That sounds awesome , i will definitely check it out
Old 06-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #20
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Quote:
Mark Chalmers wrote:
Hey all,

I found a nice little training aid. Check out www.Aikido3d.com. It uses motion capture technology so that you can watch a technique as slow or fast as you would like. You also get to modify the angles you see it from. Very useful for kyu ranks because you can view all the 5th thru 1st kyu requirements. It features the aikido of Donovan Waite Shihan. I feel it is worth a look, especially for those who may be taking a kyu test.
Hey, I've heard something about this before....but I can't put my finger on it....

Bryce
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #21
darin

I just checked out the site. The animation looks good. Maybe they should post the url on CGTalk. I have done a bit of 3D modelling and animation with LightWave and Maya and have always wanted to do something like this as a challenge.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:11 AM   #22
stephenadams
Dojo: Hertfordshire
United Kingdom
Great Aikido website

Hi,

I saw this site today, it has amazing 3D movies of Aikido, worth having a look. The address is:

http://www.aikido3d.com/

Old 07-19-2005, 04:20 AM   #23
intersimi
Dojo: Shinwakai
United Kingdom
Aikido3D - Has anyone used this?

Take a look at this website: www.aikido3d.com

It has a product on there much like an instructional DVD, but in 3D graphics. The website states that you can view the technique from any angle and zoom in etc.

My question is, is it any good? Things like finger placement for kotegaeshi etc could be an issue in my mind. I would like to know from someone who:

A. Owns the product
B. Does not work for the company/producres

regards

Intersimi
http://www.martialforum.com
Old 07-19-2005, 07:12 AM   #24
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Aikido3D - Has anyone used this?

Hopefully these links will help you:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...light=Aikido3D

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...light=Aikido3D

The first link is more "review oriented" and the second is more about the use of motion capture.

There were some pretty good honest reviews on Aikido-L, but I don't know the links for those. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm sure I'll be please as I'm rather partial to Donovan Waite and the association he's a member of. I don't remember people mentioned exact hand placement as you can't control the exact angles you view the technique from.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 07-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #25
intersimi
Dojo: Shinwakai
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido3D - Has anyone used this?

Thanks Giriasis,

I will take a look at those posts (I should have searched). I did notice an article in the reviews section, but was just an advert really

regards

Intersimi
http://www.martialforum.com