Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Mike Routen
United_States
Questions on Yoshokai Aikido

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to Aikido. In fact I'm scheduled to start training in a few days! While I am very excited to start training, I do have some questions I hope you good folks can help me out with.

My son was in an Aikikai dojo a few years ago, so I got to observe quite a few lessons and techniques while he was in training and when I could I would stay after his class to observe the adult class.

I really enjoyed the smooth, flowing style of what I saw there.

The class that I am currently enrolled in is a Yoshokai dojo. Honestly it is the only dojo that I can currently afford. After watching a class at this dojo, I'm concerned that the style seems very robotic and not very smooth. I'm also concerned that they do a lot more high-falls and I'm not sure my back can take very much of that.

Can anyone here tell me if the Yoshokai style smooths out as one progresses? Or does it continue to have the stop-and-go type of movements? I truly do not mean to be disrespectful, just curious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Questions on Yoshokai Aikido

Looks much like Yoshinkan to me:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23452091361458

and this is why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Kushida

Last edited by sorokod : 09-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

I'm not sure about Yoshinkai but I'll talk about Yoshinkan for a minute.

I've never done Yoshinkan but from what I've seen and heard, they work from the theory that in order to develop 'aiki' and free flowing movements, you need to get all the basic movements absolutely correct first. That means a lot of starting and stopping and doing techniques to a count. It seems like a good way to do it if you are patient and have a logical and ordered mind, but if you are like me and want to jump ahead to the good stuff, you might find it a bit frustrating. When you get to a very high level, it tends to look quite similar to some Aikikai aikido, but it will take many years to get to that stage. In the mean time you will most likely be doing techniques to a count.

They also seem to require very good ukemi, but the upside of this is that they will most likely teach you how to do it, and it is a valuable skill to have.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Mike Routen wrote: View Post
...Can anyone here tell me if the Yoshokai style smooths out as one progresses? Or does it continue to have the stop-and-go type of movements?
Hi Mike,

Yoshokai is an off-shoot of Yoshinkan Aikido.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshokai
The founder, Takashi Kushida shihan, together with Kyoichi Inoue shihan were formulators of the present Yoshinkan syllables. According to Inoue shihan (in his interview with Aikido Journal), when the sllyables were first formulated, it was expected that the waza should smooth out when one reaches 1st Kyu but present expectation is 3rd dan.

Yoshinkan practitioners please correct me if I am wrong.

David Y
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Mike Routen
United_States

Thank you everyone for your information.

My son and I are looking forward to our first class tomorrow.

Mike
Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Adam Huss

United_States

Kushida Sensei is an excellent teacher. In the upper kyu ranks you will likely encounter specific sets of movement designed to develop fluidity based on the solid basics practiced over the previous several years.

I can not speak for the atmosphere of the specific dojo you are looking into, though, but hopefully it works out for you.

High falls should be taught well in that organization and, if done correctly, create little impact on the body. Ukemi, in general, is focused on quite a bit.

If I was traveling through that area and saw a Yoshokai dojo nearby I would go well out of my way to train there.

Hope it works out for you!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Mike Routen
United_States

Thank you everyone for your input!

My son and I finished our first set of classes and we both tested and passed our first tests!

I have started my second set of classes and am planning on taking my pre-7th Kyu test in a few weeks.

The fears that I had regarding the high falls have been needless at this point. The instructors are very good at teaching ukemi and everything is going very well.

Thanks again,

Mike