Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Re: Sensei is a nutball and I had enough.

I've experienced the "no- touch" throw. Frequently.... Having someone closeline you during a "freight-train" iriminage is not something you'd care to repeat. Was that "ki" I felt, as I took ukemi rather than the envisioned trachiotomy, or just body-memory? I can tell you it sure isn't a pre-concieved reaction to the technique. But he didn't touch me - and I flew.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Joe Hodges
Dojo: Aikido of Longwood
United_States

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
I've experienced the "no- touch" throw. Frequently.... Having someone closeline you during a "freight-train" iriminage is not something you'd care to repeat. Was that "ki" I felt, as I took ukemi rather than the envisioned trachiotomy, or just body-memory? I can tell you it sure isn't a pre-concieved reaction to the technique. But he didn't touch me - and I flew.
Precisely!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
David_francis

Dojo: St Ives Aikidojo
United Kingdom

By any chance did your sensei shout kamehameha! when he threw a ki blast at you?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
Errr, no! He didn't throw you!

You attacked and he wasn't there. You fell over!

Osu!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:39 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I saw a really nice no touch throw on a sandan test once. The uke was nage's big brother who practices the AAA version of aikido. When nage's open palm came flying into uke's face the ki projection was so strong that it shot uke straight down into the ground. Or, uke was really convinced that his younger brother was gonna plow him one and did what he could to avoid getting a broken nose...which was fall.

Same same in my book.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Long distance ki

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
Was that "ki" I felt, as I took ukemi rather than the envisioned trachiotomy, or just body-memory?
Yes.

That's the real problem with the idea of a long-distance ki blast. Ki doesn't exist in a vacuum and, IMO, involves nearly as much psychology as it does energy or physics.

The psychology of someone keying on you from across the room is very different from the psychology of someone throwing a hand in your face as you come barrelling toward them at top speed. You can "feel" both in an almost tangible way, but your reaction is bound to be different.

Mind you, the "keying" thing should be taken seriously. Try keying on a rottweiller if you don't believe me. On second thought, don't. You may not believe it works, but the dog will and I don't want to hear about it when said dog attacks you. Maybe try it on a toy poodle.

All this being said, there is a story that Koichi Tohei Sensei told about one of his students and a soda can that is a classic illustration of why ki is not magic. I actually heard him tell the story and it's one of the stories he told that stuck with me. Every time I get tempted to think of ki as magic, I just remember the story.

Last edited by mriehle : 12-08-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
lwoodcock
Dojo: River City Aikikai
United_States
Re: Long distance ki

Quote:
Michael Riehle wrote:
All this being said, there is a story that Koichi Tohei Sensei told about one of his students and a soda can that is a classic illustration of why ki is not magic.
Oh you can't just leave it like that. Tell the story!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Yes, please do.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #9
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Tohei Sensei's Soda Can Story

Oh fine, I'll tell the story. But I really believe it's out there on the web somewhere already. And it was thirty years ago when I heard it, so it's likely I'll get some details wrong. That being said:

Tohei Sensei was traveling by train with some students. I gather the trip got a little tedious and people were looking for things to do. Tohei Sensei walked in on one enterprising student who was sitting quietly at a table staring at a soda can.

He sat there, staring intently and every now and again he'd jerk his head to one side. He continued this for a while apparently unaware that Tohei Sensei was watching him.

Finally, Tohei Sensei asked him what he was doing.

"I'm trying to move the can with my ki", came the reply.

Tohei responded that it was very easy to do so and offered to demonstrate. The young man got up from his chair, Tohei Sensei sat down and began staring at the soda can. After a few minutes he reached out with one hand, picked up the can and moved it to one side.

"But I was trying to move it with my ki!", the student protested.

"The ki does not exist without the body. My hand moved because of my ki and moved the can.", replied Tohei and walked away.

Now, I have to tell you that when Tohei Sensei told this story he was quite animated in the telling. He was clearly amused by the incident.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
rachel
Dojo: Aikikai Foundation Hombu Dojo, Aikido of Hilo
Japan

You people are silly, and you watch way too much Dragonball Z.

As for the no touch throws, I've definately experienced them. It's definately not a long distance thing. You fall to avoid being hit, pretty simple. I remember doing iriminage with my sister not long ago, (she's ikkyu.) It was fantastic! She just did the motion of the technique and her ki (and movement, me being scared...) made me fall, hard.

For ANON- You should investigate the other dojos and instructors in the area. If there is a legitimate Sensei nearby who is currently not offering classes, speak to him/her, maybe you can start some, or get private lessons. As for your current dojo, I recommend leaving politely, even if you do think the Sensei is a total nut job.

If you can't find a suitable dojo, pick up and move!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
siwilson
England

They are not throws!!!!! You fall over or flip yourself, but to throw someone requires you to move them, not them move themself!!!!!

No touch throws don't exist!!!!!

The only way you can make me change my mind is for me to stand still and do nothing and for you to,ahem, throw me, without touching me!!!!!!

Osu!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
No touch throws don't exist!!!!!

The only way you can make me change my mind is for me to stand still and do nothing and for you to,ahem, throw me, without touching me!!!!!!
Bet I can do it (as he picks up a good sized rock from the ground). Watch how you word things. Hee hee hee.
Rock
Old 12-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
They are not throws!!!!! You fall over or flip yourself, but to throw someone requires you to move them, not them move themself!!!!!
That's just semantics. If it looks, walks and quacks like a duck, I have no problem in calling it a duck.

I've taken ukemi early to avoid a disastrous fall from a very fast attack, but I don't consider that a no-touch throw. But this is the sort I've experienced:
Quote:
mriehle wrote:
...someone throwing a hand in your face as you come barrelling toward them at top speed...
You're bracing yourself in reaction to the hand, so you're leaning forward to compensate; then all of a sudden the hand is removed fast without making contact and you fall forward just as you would have if uke had reversed hands and clocked you from behind. My balance is taken absolutely and I wind up on the floor just as if I'd been thrown by one of uke's arms on the reversal.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
Bronson

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
But they fell because of something nage did. So nage's action was required to create the situation where uke falls.

It's like me saying that if you flick your fingers at my eyes and I flinch, that because you didn't actually touch me you didn't really make me move....I did it myself.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #15
siwilson
England

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
But they fell because of something nage did. So nage's action was required to create the situation where uke falls.

It's like me saying that if you flick your fingers at my eyes and I flinch, that because you didn't actually touch me you didn't really make me move....I did it myself.

Bronson
You said it mate - "they fell"!

Osu!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #16
Bronson

But would they fall without the presence of nage's action?

Bronson

Old 12-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
siwilson
England

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
But would they fall without the presence of nage's action?

Bronson
Would they fall if they did different Aikido (or didn't do any Aikido)?

Osu!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Hey this is neat. It is starting to sound like a Zen koan.

What is the nature of the ukemi before a person is thrown? What is the intent of the uke if that person falls without without nage making a motion?

Hee hee hee
Rock
Old 12-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #19
siwilson
England

OK, to the woolly Ki/No touch throw people out there!!!! Can you pick up a pencil without touching it?

Osu!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #20
cguzik
Re: No Touch Throws

I can pick up a pen by letting go of it. By causing potential energy to build inside the spring, when I let go of it (at which point I am no longer touching it) it throws itself.

Whether you say I threw it or caused it to throw itself doesn't matter.

Because the pen is an inanimate object, you do have to touch it to build the potential energy in the spring. Since your partner has intention and is animate, you can facilitate that same effect without actually touching them.

I have to say that the best aikido I've ever felt is when I cannot quite say whether it was me or my partner that caused the throw to happen. Does it matter who did it?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #21
akiy

Fodder:

Do you think "no touch" throws in aikido are fake? - 11/17/2001
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=86

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #22
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
OK, to the woolly Ki/No touch throw people out there!!!! Can you pick up a pencil without touching it?

For the "no touch pencil pickup", that would be the Force you're using, not ki.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #23
ryujin

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:
Hey this is neat. It is starting to sound like a Zen koan.
So if a person is thrown in the woods and there was no one around to throw him was it a no touch throw?

Carl Bilodeau
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō
Renshinkan

"Yield to temptation — it may not pass your way again." - Robert Heinlein
Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #24
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Tongue Re: Sensei is a nutball and I had enough.

Quote:
Carl Bilodeau wrote:
So if a person is thrown in the woods and there was no one around to throw him was it a no touch throw?

lol you know Si's gonna jump all over that one... :-)

Stu (advocate of the Big Touch Throw(TM))
Old 12-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #25
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

I was watching some old film from Aiki News. It showed the founder in his 80's. About 30-45% of the throws he was doing were no touch throws. He had this one technique where he would go down a line of seiza sitting students. As they rose to grab him as he walked by, he would do a no touch throw on them. He would walk down the whole line like this.

If all this is on film from the founder, why do people still deny the existence of a no touch technique? I just don't get it.
confused

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You