Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #26
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: thoughts while on line at dunkin donuts for coffee

No sugar... So you take your coffee black, or just with cream? And decaffeinated? Are you right or left handed?

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 09-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #27
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
There were two men ahead of me in line...the one right ahead of me was slight and much shorter that I am...I thought a forearm choke from behind would be nice for him....the other was bulky and slightly taller, though not as tall as I am. His pony tail would provide a good place to grab as a kokyu nage redirected his head.
Do you guys ever think like this in public?
Mary
Yes. It is part of training. Training isn't left behind in the dojo when class is over.

I personally imagine on coming people in a mall as if they are about to attack me and run the scenarios in my mind.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #28
dps

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
There were two men ahead of me in line...the one right ahead of me was slight and much shorter that I am...I thought a forearm choke from behind would be nice for him....the other was bulky and slightly taller, though not as tall as I am. His pony tail would provide a good place to grab as a kokyu nage redirected his head.
Do you guys ever think like this in public?
Mary
Was you after thier donuts and coffee or thier place in line?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

it's dangerous to think while waiting for donuts and coffee. I have seen a dozen of jelly-filled and cream-filled donuts sneak up on a man along with their buddy the espresso. it was horrible. the carnage and destruction were total and absolute. the scene gave me nightmare for weeks. one should always be mindful and ever vigilant against such fiends. I have not found a martial arts that proves any affect against such incredible aiki and internal power of chocolate cream-filled donuts with sugar coating
Old 09-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #30
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 09-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #31
Cynrod
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
it's dangerous to think while waiting for donuts and coffee. I have seen a dozen of jelly-filled and cream-filled donuts sneak up on a man along with their buddy the espresso. it was horrible. the carnage and destruction were total and absolute. the scene gave me nightmare for weeks. one should always be mindful and ever vigilant against such fiends. I have not found a martial arts that proves any affect against such incredible aiki and internal power of chocolate cream-filled donuts with sugar coating
Don't forget about the POWDERED SUGAR that may blind you temporarily when it get in your eyes and that's a proven fact

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #32
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Rod Lansangan wrote: View Post
Don't forget about the POWDERED SUGAR that may blind you temporarily when it get in your eyes and that's a proven fact
And that is just what could happen at the doughnut shop. Can you imagine if you actually did any thinking at work or at school? There you are trying to solve some problem and POW your enemies take complete advantage of your inability to be 100% present in the moment every second of your life. What is the last thing you to cross your mind before they slit your throat? If only I had been more like the "masters!"
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #33
phitruong
United_States

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
What is the last thing you to cross your mind before they slit your throat? If only I had been more like the "masters!"
you meant "stuff your throat", right? we are talking about killer donuts, right? if you travel in the orient, you will notice some sort of deep fried flower thing similar to donuts. those are the great great great grand daddy of donuts which, according to legend (based on phi's made up stuffs), have in ages past, defeated many masters and grand-masters in martial arts. if you noticed that many grand-masters tends to be a bit round in the middle. yup! 'em donuts left their marks.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #34
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Aikido people seem to be especially susceptible to the mark of the doughnut!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #35
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
... we are talking about killer donuts, right? ,... , according to legend (based on phi's made up stuffs), have in ages past, defeated many masters and grand-masters in martial arts.
"The whole of reality is in the Center of Goodness. The Center is the Void -- but all Goodness surrounds and defines the Center of Emptiness. The Void is the Fullness and the Center of all Goodness --- but without the Goodness that surrounds, the Void is empty and without Form. As the emptiness in the belly is at last filled with Goodness -- so too shall the Goodness be consumed and at last become the Void -- joining the Goodness and Void as ONE -- at the Center."

[The next lesson shall dwell on the impermanence of Being and the transience of crumbs ...]

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #36
lbb
United_States

Ah, but what kind of a donut shop was it? It makes a difference, you see. If it was a modern chain donut shop, those are weak flabby donuts, totally unsuitable as either a bludgeon or as a projectile. You could leave them sitting on the shelf for a couple of weeks and they'll be totally unchanged, they're so full of preservatives. In contrast, if you take a good old-fashioned preservative-free donut and let it sit out for 24 hours, you'll have something like a hockey puck. So, unless you're in a good old-fashioned donut shop, and unless they have a day-old shelf, I'm afraid this is all just paranoia.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #37
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
And that is just what could happen at the doughnut shop. Can you imagine if you actually did any thinking at work or at school? There you are trying to solve some problem and POW your enemies take complete advantage of your inability to be 100% present in the moment every second of your life. What is the last thing you to cross your mind before they slit your throat? If only I had been more like the "masters!"
Virginia Tech
Columbine

Funny, Benjamin.

Sometimes people see things that aren't there.
Sometimes people don't see things that are there.
How might things change if people saw clearly?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #38
MikeLogan

United_States

Just to throw in my 2 cents.
Joe, I like your aim here, it is off beat from what everyone else is considering.

When you are buying donuts, buy donuts. Don't let the destruction of potential enemies distract you from your purpose, which is to buy donuts. That is the death mentioned in Joe's 2nd post.

Quote:
Takuan Soho, to Yagyu Munenori wrote:
Whether by the strike of the enemy or your own thrust, whether by the man who strikes or the sword that strikes, whether by position or rhythm, if your mind is diverted in any way, your actions will falter, and this can mean that you will be cut down.
Now in the case of purchasing donuts, alternatively the above would suggest that you will be cut in front of in line whilst considering just how much this person's neck might actually sound like celery snapping.

If it was chado, or kyudo, or iado, we would see this immediately. You are there to perform the task of making tea, letting fly the arrow, or drawing the sword. It's an exercise in presence.

The funny part here is that, well, I'm just buying a donut, no need to focus. If what you're doing is not deserving of your full presence, then why do it?

*Disclaimer* I love donuts, and I get distracted from my purpose plenty, nor do I do nearly all the worthwhile stuff I should be doing. But then 'worthwhile' as a qualifier is another thread entirely.

As for what everyone else is discussing, the first thing I look for in environments when I get less than perfectly comfortable is obstacles, primarily what can I situate between myself and them, such as tables, pillars, unlucky passersby (kidding...). Then I size 'em up.

Quote:
"The whole of reality is in the Center of Goodness. The Center is the Void -- but all Goodness surrounds and defines the Center of Emptiness. The Void is the Fullness and the Center of all Goodness --- but without the Goodness that surrounds, the Void is empty and without Form. As the emptiness in the belly is at last filled with Goodness -- so too shall the Goodness be consumed and at last become the Void -- joining the Goodness and Void as ONE -- at the Center."
The zen of donuts and their holes. incredible ... : )

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #39
phitruong
United_States

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
Just to throw in my 2 cents.
Joe, I like your aim here, it is off beat from what everyone else is considering.

When you are buying donuts, buy donuts. Don't let the destruction of potential enemies distract you from your purpose, which is to buy donuts. That is the death mentioned in Joe's 2nd post.

michael.
taking your 2 cents and raise you a nickel.

would you think the probability of physical harm, from eating and/or drinking something versus being attack by someone, higher or lower? how often you eat and drink something versus a confrontation with another human being?

now, as far as donuts holes go, they are, perhaps, the most underrated aiki-jujutsu practitioners. however, one must not discount of their effectiveness. you reach out for them and they disappear on you. they blend with your energy and use it against you and you can't resist with just one. their aiki is very affective. if that doesn't work, they will fall back on the jujutsu, which can lock your internal up tight and choke out your heart. you would not know what hit you until it was all over, but a down wash of bitter, desperately dark coffee. they have defeated my known and unknown masters. many are more known than unknown; some are unknown more than known; then others just rather not known, thus, remain unknown.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #40
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

"On the one hand you feel this. On the other you feel that. That's why when making a decision we wring our hands together." -A Taxi Driver

no big deal.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #41
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Wait, just one more...

Quote:
Andrew Smallacombe wrote: View Post
Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Just cuz you're paranoid Donut mean their not out to get ya.hahahahahaha. I crack myself up.

Next guru, please.

Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 09-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #42
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Mary:

Had you considered getting people together to start a class action law suit against Dunkin Doughnuts? Obviously the unhealthiness of fast food has led to an unacceptable increase in violent thoughts.

Marc Abrams
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #43
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
"On the one hand you feel this. On the other you feel that. That's why when making a decision we wring our hands together." -A Taxi Driver

no big deal.
Traveled far from home to hail a taxi, no?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #44
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Mary:

Had you considered getting people together to start a class action law suit against Dunkin Doughnuts? Obviously the unhealthiness of fast food has led to an unacceptable increase in violent thoughts.

Marc Abrams
Yeah or start an Ai-Ki-Donut class. It begins with a circle.............

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #45
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Talking Re: thoughts while on line at dunkin donuts for coffee

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Mary:

Marc Abrams
There are Dunkin shops here in the Philippines. Good thing I got wind of this. Will do by best to avoid the place...better go hungry than get choked and kokyud...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #46
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
Traveled far from home to hail a taxi, no?
Mountain came to Muhammad on this one.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #47
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Mountain came to Muhammad on this one.
Ah---then, of the two hands, the one without intention grabbed you first.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #48
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Ah---then, of the two hands, the one without intention grabbed you first.
Hi Joe,
It's intention, if any, was in-rokyu. But mostly, I didn't give a damn.I was just making my way working a day job and listening to authentic people.

So please,enough of this baby talk. My teachers have been talking about, but more importantly, doing this for years. And they have taught me the same.
If anyone want's to dialog with me like we are on the same page, let's go on.

Personally, I'm not lookin' for a new guru to teach me the same ol' tricks, So let's just talk straight.
'Scuze my bluntness, but we're all on borrowed time.

Thanks,
Jen

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 10-01-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #49
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Hi Joe,
It's intention, if any, was in-rokyu. But mostly, I didn't give a damn.I was just making my way working a day job and listening to authentic people.

So please,enough of this baby talk. My teachers have been talking about, but more importantly, doing this for years. And they have taught me the same.
If anyone want's to dialog with me like we are on the same page, let's go on.

Personally, I'm not lookin' for a new guru to teach me the same ol' tricks, So let's just talk straight.
'Scuze my bluntness, but we're all on borrowed time.

Thanks,
Jen
Jen, you jumped in late on a sub-discussion within the thread between Alex and me that had withered in favor of the donut holes and such. I welcome anyone's input, of course---especially yours, since I've enjoyed your manner of diffusing tension with humor.

Anyway, I'm not a guru and I didn't offer myself as one, so why spend your borrowed time reacting to what or how I say or don't say? Spend it instead authentically discussing Ai-Ki-Donut class!

Or, better yet, address Alex's original statement. I won't judge you on the form of how you chose to do it.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #50
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Jen, you jumped in late on a sub-discussion within the thread between Alex and me that had withered in favor of the donut holes and such. I welcome anyone's input, of course---especially yours, since I've enjoyed your manner of diffusing tension with humor.
Thanks

jen

Jennifer Paige Smith