Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Murashige, Thielemans & Smith research

Apologies for the brief title but the characters were limited.

I'm in the process of lineage research for our club and am looking for information on Aritoshi Murashige, Tony Thielemans of Belgium and Mike Smith of England.

I've done some considerable googling around the web, but only found small snippets of info, i.e. Murashige was a student of O Sensei, he started Aikido in Malaysia before he went to Belgium in the early 60's. Unfortunately he was killed in a car crash shortly after in 1963. Tony Thielemans studied under Murashige. but it was for a short period, I''d like to find out who he subsequently studied with and who conferred any grades. Tony formed the Yama Arashi. Mike Smith studied with Tony for a while (I don't know exactly how long), and was conferred 2nd dan by Tony Thielemans. He eventually split from Yama Arashi and formed the Kai Shin Kai. He was conferred 6th Dan by Nariyama sensei of the Shodokan.

If anyone has any further information that can fill in any gaps, or expand upon what I've already uncovered, I'd be most interested to hear from you and grateful to receive it.

Many thanks

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 02-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Re: Murashige, Thielemans & Smith research

Hi Bryan. You could try John Burn via this site or on the Phoenix site. He should be able to give you an answer.
Jim.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Bryan,

I've managed to dig a little further into Thielemans Aikido history... What I've so far found is below.

Thielemans wrote a book on aikido and the kendo in 1967 which was one of the first works written in French language on these subjects. He was a former pupil of the Naessens sensei, being in the first group of students to train with him in Belgium. He has trained under at various times with the following sensei - Tadashi Abe, Noro, Akiyama, Mochizuki, Nocquet, Tamura and of course Murashige who he accompanied in Paris and served as uke for the courses he taught there. He made two trips to Japan, one in 1970 and the other in 1974. During these trips he trained with / at the Aïkikai, Kodokan, Budokai, Yoshinkan and with Sei-Kan (the dojo of the imperial palace). He was introduced to these dojo's by Nakakura sensei who was a 10th dan in Kendo.

Hope this is of some help... If I find out more, I'll let you know.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 09-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
batemanb

Thanks for getting back to me with te additional info John.

I actually managed to get a copy of the book recently, and despite my limited French abilities, can surprisingly understand a fair bit of what he's written .

Say hi to Rick for me next time you see him.

Kind Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
kimevans
United Kingdom

Hello Bryan

I am Mike Smith's daughter. I just happened to be searching the web to see if he came up on Google!

My dad is fine - living quite close to your club.

I actually remember going to Brussels with him for one of his gradings (I was only 4 or 5 at the time) - I think it may have been for his 1st Dan but I can check that with him. Growing up, I remember attending numerous demonstrations and championships with him.

He is still involved in Aikido although not as much as he was - if fact he was at Bisham Abbey at the weekend at the BAA (?)championships.

If you would like me to pass on your details to him, I can - and he may contact you himself.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
batemanb

Hi Kim,

I'd appreciate that very much. I have met and studied with your dad many years ago (he won't remember me) when he used to come and teach at our club before we left the Kaishinkai. I'm just interested in researching more of our club lineage. I'll PM you with my details.

Many thanks
Bryan

Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Hi Kim,

I've had the pleasure of training in seminars with your father a few times on his visits to Ireland. I found his aikido excellent and he was a great teacher: very clear and good on the basics. His sankyo is like being trapped in a vice! Great stuff. I'm currently in Japan practicing Daito ryu but tell him that I have many fond memories
of his seminars and am glad to hear he is well.(He wouldn't remember me either!)

Oisin Bourke