Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How important is solo training (ie by yourself) in your aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of October 17, 2004:

How important is solo training (ie by yourself) in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Re: Poll: How important is solo training (ie by yourself) in your aikido training?

If you train Yoshinkan Aikido, then you must say critically important, as Kamae and Kihon Dosa are the foundation of everything!

Osu!
Old 10-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #3
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is solo training (ie by yourself) in your aikido training?

I said "very important", since I have been unable to continue practising at a dojo for several months. I use bokken and jo daily and use a tree as resistance. I believe I have continued to improve a sense of center but really miss the fluid dynamics/energy exchange from uke-nage interaction that is so critical...timing, rhythm, ma-ai, I miss terribly.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Since I think that solo training includes "visualization" then I would say very important. Its one of the ways to remember techniques and the fear, balance changes and timing that goes along with both the shite and uke part of each technique.

But I don't think that solo training needs to include the more physical aspects of training. I say this mostly because one of my instructors used to say that if I had enough energy left after Aikido classes to go do something else...then I wasn't putting enough into the Aikido class. And we do try to emulate our teachers, right?

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-18-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Very important.

Remember, where ever the head goes the body tends to follow. IMHO, meditation, readining, thinking, and mental rehearsal assist us in controling the body, mind, emotions, and Ki flow.

I also find solo conditioning very important. Running, skipping rope, and doing Tenkans help endurance and coordination.

Solo weapons practice is very important too. Kata is meant to polish skills and spirit.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
jgros

Critically important.

Practicing ukemi. Practicing body movements such as irimi and tenkan. Practicing deflections. Practicing how to attack properly.

If you can do these things by yourself and keep good form, posture and balance, you are more likely to do so with a partner.

At the same time, you cannot just practice by yourself and expect to improve. You must practice not only with a partner, but ones of as many different sizes as possible. This will help you do the technique at the right time and at the right distance (as mentioned above).

A better question would be what ratio of solo training would you have with partner practice? I would say between 40/60 to 30/70; 50/50 for beginners.

Thoughts anyone?

jgros
Old 10-19-2004, 02:19 AM   #7
siwilson
England

I would say 25/75 solo/partner.

Osu!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:43 AM   #8
paw

Quote:
Jeff Gros wrote:
A better question would be what ratio of solo training would you have with partner practice? I would say between 40/60 to 30/70; 50/50 for beginners.
5/95.......If you have a partner, take advantage of it.

Regards,

Paul
Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #9
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai

100/0 solo/partner if there's no one to train with
& 0/100 in dojo

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 10-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #10
Roger Price
Dojo: Peterborough

Training on your own is critically important. Meditating on the universe and cultivating Ki are solo pursuits. Nothing can replace one on one training, but then nothing can replace being alone to reflect.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #11
Martin Ruedas

Dojo: Makiling Southside
Philippines
Smile Re: Poll: How important is solo training (ie by yourself) in your aikido training?

Quote:
Roger Price wrote:
Training on your own is critically important. Meditating on the universe and cultivating Ki are solo pursuits. Nothing can replace one on one training, but then nothing can replace being alone to reflect.
Very well said.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

i agree with most of you. visualizing technique is supported by scientific study (not that that ultimately matters). your nervous system works much the same way with visualizing technique as it does when you actually move. so, go ahead and read, but buy the video if it's technique you're after.

i forgot solo ukemi practice. silly of me. Ukemi is the foundation of all we do. i am a poor martial artist if i can't protect myself.

billybob
Old 10-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
siwilson
England

Quote:
Roger Price wrote:
Meditating on the universe and cultivating Ki.....
?????

Have you a shaved head, with orange robes, and little finger cymbals?

That means nothing to me, when I am practicing a Martial Art!

LOL! What is it with the lefty Aikidoka!

Osu!