Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
majin29
Canada
Fictional films on O Sensei?

Donny Yen recently played Ip Man in a fictional account based on the Wing Chun master's life in China. The film was interesting although I did not care for the archetypal portrayal of the Japanese as the ubiquitous "evil bad guys" but then again I'm biased.

So I was wondering, after having read a bit of the biography of O Sensei whether there has been a fictional or even documentary on his life. I have seen a couple DVDs under the Video Reviews section here but they do look more documentary than fictional.

Is the lack of Aikido presence in films in general due to its overall philosophy or non-confrontation? Aside from Steven Seagal, there are not too many Aikido practitioners in the film world.

Just curious.

I seek not to know all the answers but to understand the questions
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Fictional films on O Sensei?

I've seen the movie Aiki which is more on daitoryu. Its a nice film nevertheless.

I heard that there is either a new movie about aikido or a tv series revolving around aikido. Both are probably contemporary though.

As for Ip man, well he's famous because he's bruce lee's teacher. He wasn't the founder of Wing chun. There's an old chinese movie with Michele Yeah acting as the nun who founded the style but it wasn't that great.

I doubt Osensei's movie will be much sought after since there is really no glitz to be had by hollywood.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

There's a Japanese film made in 1975 entitled "Gekitotsu! Aikidô".. It stars Jirô Chiba and Sonny Chiba. It's is a fictionalisation of Morihei Ueshiba's early years in Hokkaido.. Jirô Chiba plays Morihei Ueshiba..
IMDB entry is here

Synopsis:
Quote:
POWER OF AIKIDO, THE
Gekitotsu! Aikido - 1975 - Color - Widescreen - Extras

An action movie that illustrates the struggle of Morihei Ueshiba who was born in a farming family in Wakayama (an area in Japan) on his way of pursuing the heart of martial arts until he finally created his own well-polished martial arts Aikido in which he included the strengths of other martial arts such as old-style Judo, Kendo, and spearmanship. It was the first time that Shinichi Chiba's younger
brother Jiro tooks the leading role in a movie.

Directed by: Shigehiro Ozawa
Cast: Jiro Chiba, Sue Shiomi, Sonny Chiba

Last edited by CitoMaramba : 04-19-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I've just watched this Gekitotsu! Aikidô film...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJhYoiDn7g

Horrible and worth watching at the same time.