Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2004, 05:09 AM   #76
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: aikido and competition

Ian,

So, you coming and training tomorrow? It's only a short trip from London!

*grins evilly*

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-10-2004, 05:48 AM   #77
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Short trip from London? Have you been on the rail services in this country recently?

I'll check with boss (partner) and see whether I can grovel a trip up as I am intrigued at seeing your lot in action. (note to self - perhaps I should drop into Paul Wildish's dojo first for a refresher course on tomiki so I can remember what your allowed to do with them there rubber thingies)
Old 08-10-2004, 06:13 AM   #78
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

[quote=Yann Golanski]Bridget,

If you're a train ride from York, then come and train with us. Tomorrow is good as Scott Albright (5th dan) is giving a course at York. His Aikido is not the prettiest you'll ever see but it is very effective. If not, any odd Monday or/and Wednesday night are good for us. Just let me know when.

If not, I am sure that I can give you some Shodokan clubs address closer to where you are. Most of us are friendly and will not mind you either watching or joining in -- in fact, joining in is better!
QUOTE]

Thanks for that Yann,

I don't go that far North very often but if you have details of Shodokan clubs in the South East or perhaps a webpage for these competions, that'd be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #79
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Bridget, have a look at http://www.aikido-baa.org.uk/baadojo.htm which should have some clubs. I'd recomand checking first as the whole thing is way out of date.

Ian, Paul is certainly going to whip you into shape! Besides, as long as you are safe, I don't mind which techniques you do to me.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #80
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Ah...the age old question: why not compete? The idea in Aikido regarding competing, I think, comes from the idea in Budo that a technique deals with life and death in an instant. To give an example: to compete your best, you must try your best. This in mind, if I am attacked, I don't know how well i could keep from injuring my attacker. I can dislocate many joints and cause spiral fractures...even kill a person by smashing their head into the ground. The real skill in the techniques which do these things comes in NOT harming your attacker. So, if I and a friend are truly trying our best, we are encroaching upon that space in the mind where we may easily harm someone in a life-long way. Not all Aikido training is a prescribed set of moves. I tend to make it a point to include as much spontaneity as possible. The only thing I know in these cases, is that I am about to be attacked.
Joe Lewis, based upon your accounts, sounds rather full of himself and I'd be curious to see him put his money where his mouth is, but that's a very shalow part of me saying that. The truth is all that matters is that I do my best every moment of my life, and that is essentially what Aikido teaches us. The martial aspect of Aikido is derived from Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu, which I recently had the pleasure of witnessing. This was based on Samurai warfare...and interestingly enough, it looked like Aikido to me.
All this said, there are many forms of Aikido. Some are "softer" than others, but all have something usefull to offer.
I recommend experiencing as many forms of Aikido as possible.
To give one example of a karate guy who thought Aikido was weak: a senior student to me was practicing the corner drop technique with a mid-level punch. The karate guy kept pulling his punch making the technique not work, so my friend kept saying he needed to punch more sincerely. The karate guy finally came full force and found himself flipping in mid-air. It was unexpected and kind of scared the guy, according to my sempai. Competition is a tricky word, and there is a fine line between one group's definition of it, and another's. Aikidoka always compete with themselves to do better each moment of their lives. This is the nature of AIkido.
Take care,
Matthew
Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #81
Mato-san
Iceland

I think there should be a completely different grading syllabus for exchanging in the forums on aikiweb.
A lot of verbal exchange going on, like I used to see. Good to see the crew is keeping up the good work. The intel here is beyond me. But I do love it all. As a spectactor.

Have not seen a Gracie this year in the opening pride tourny held today.
Most were elsewhere last year too.
I miss Royce and his large family.
Joint manipulation is a beautiful art.

As for Aikido in MMA, I can`t see it as being your primary weapon if you want to step into the ring with the likes of these guys (the list is long), but certainly a huge compliment to any other art/arts you are comfortable with. Just an opinion.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #82
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Goodbye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have enjoyed my stay so far.
Thank you for the hospitality.
Thank you to those who aquire respect.
And for those who have reached a level of superior selfness, who have harnessed themselves to point where as they can Judge,calculate and analize other people from their safe keyboard,I wish I was as spiritually tuned as you are., I wish I could tune into others characteristics like you do ,but from here it is difficult for me. Maybee I just I have no place in the aikido cyber world, I wish you all the best "best" with a huge smile.
Bye "BYE".
Hmmm...do you mind if I ask what changed?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 AM   #83
Mato-san
Iceland

Ron , I stumbled on this thread in a google adventure.
I guess the aikido cyber world has a centre too. It appears to be aikiweb (in the context that in the cyber world this place seems to be central, thats all). I have a different approach now. I need not explain my approach, but lets say I have learned from all these ppl here (maybe you are one of them) I can`t remember but more importantly I don`t care.
I like to view the verbal exchange, I like to see the knowledge of the MASTERS here. There is a lot of valid discussion here but, personally I don`t like a lot of the opinions and lectures that have no substance. I have been belittled by ppl for bad grammar (not pertaining to aikido at all), I have seen lack of respect toward posters and other stuff I don`t care to type.
Basically I will Join this community and now take it with a grain of salt, I know who is worthy of respect and I know who is trying to make a name for themselves through blatant assertiveness! (check the grammar and bag me at your will).
Still I say good luck.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #84
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I can't think of a single person who posts here who would refer to themselves as a "master". Even on their worst days (we all have them).

As to grammer, I make plenty of mistakes myself. But when others point out that my meaning is confused or lost because of those mistakes, I thank them, and try again.

As to agreement...sometimes it is there and sometimes not. It's not that important, but nice when it happens. What I find important is that I think...and continue to refine my thoughts. For that, I need different opinions. Kind of like a chicken eating small stones to help with the digestion.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #85
ikkitosennomusha

I choose to think O-sensei did not concieve his beloved art for competition for several reasons.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #86
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:
I choose to think O-sensei did not concieve his beloved art for competition for several reasons
...If you would'nt mind...I would like to hear those reasons,please.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #87
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Sorry for the aside, but it's strange to read something I wrote over a year ago and think, "that doesn't sound like me!" And of course, to read the message about "masters" making assertions, makes me feel a little...questionable, even though I've never thought I was anywhere near mastery. I've always valued being shown the error of my ways, but still...sometimes I sure do wish I had been born perfect! It would have made everything so much easier!!!
At any rate, while the thought is in mind, if in the past I've ever sounded rude or pompous: Osumimasen.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #88
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I've had the same thing happen to me over the years! I think mastery is somewhat based on contemplation on your past and having the courage and wisdom to say "wow, I was wrong!".
Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #89
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Kevin, that's not mastery...that's common sense!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #90
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

you'd think it was common sense, but we are all masters of our own delusion!

Who was it...Mark Twain probably...who said, common sense...ain't so common.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #91
Mato-san
Iceland

Kevin you are a gem

Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #92
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote:
...If you would'nt mind...I would like to hear those reasons,please.
Jumping in here and contributing my two cents. From what I have experenced, there are profound differences in perception when living with a competetive mindset instead of a cooperative mindset. Boiled down to the simplest expression I can come up with, it's the difference between mastery of the other and mastery of the self.
I have a feeling that O'sensei, in his proclaimed state of being one with the universe, actually saw no difference between the self and the other. Thus, how can there be competition with no one to compete with? The whole idea of competition would be rendered absurd, and a waste of time.

-Will

p.s. - this is in no way, shape, or form a critique of Aikido that has incorporated competition. Just my musings on esoteric matters
Old 08-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #93
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

The infection of the competitive mindset to every area of life is the great sickness of our times IMO. To give real examples from the UK - schools, hospitals and prisons are now all ranked in league tables and are encouraged to see themselves as competitors. The really weird one though is when people in relationships start viewing themselves as competitors. Know what I mean?

Anyway, off topic rant over...back to the docks.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #94
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
William Sullivan wrote:
I have a feeling that O'sensei, in his proclaimed state of being one with the universe, actually saw no difference between the self and the other. Thus, how can there be competition with no one to compete with? The whole idea of competition would be rendered absurd, and a waste of time.

-Will
Care to venture a guess why then O-Sensei felt compelled into a salt water drinking contest? If he was too enlightened to see a difference between himself and others, seems like he could have avoided the misery that came from drinking so much of the stuff in order to 'win'.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #95
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Competition can also be a healthy way to benchmark ourselves and our development. It becomes unhealthy when we take it too serious, or do it for the wrong reasons.

I do competitions in BJJ and submission fighting. It motivates me, I have developed some very good friendships, it has shown where I have grown and where I have weaknesses. I do not care too much about winning or losing, only doing.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #96
markwalsh
United Nations

Quote:
Competition can also be a healthy way to benchmark ourselves and our development. It becomes unhealthy when we take it too serious, or do it for the wrong reasons.
Totally agree. I think the world has just gotten a bit out of balance with regards to competition and cooperation, and as you say, the reasons behind competition ar important too.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #97
DonMagee
United_States

I love competition. I like it not because of winning, but because I know I went out there and tried as hard as I could, and I stand respected amoung my peers for it. There is a minority who care only about winning. But for most people I've met, they care about the struggle more then the medal.

If there was a tomiki style aikido dojo by me, I'd probably train and try some competitions. I love judo, bjj, mma, and even boxing. I'm sure I would love aikido competitions as well.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #98
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Competition can also be a healthy way to benchmark ourselves and our development .... I do competitions in BJJ and submission fighting. It motivates me, I have developed some very good friendships, it has shown where I have grown and where I have weaknesses. I do not care too much about winning or losing, only doing.
Yes, that is the goal with sparring, not to care about "winning" or "losing," and you can be trying to "win" even in a class situation when you think you're not doing it. I learned this the hard way. That's why I say your ego and your pride can be working on you even when you think they're not. And I would be lying if I said I was there yet, although I understand that's where I want to be.

Personally, I started doing Jun Fan/JKD back in May, so of course, there's more sparring involved. My current goal now is just to learn not to hate it. (Yes, back in the day in karate, I was a punching bag with legs; how did you guess?) Consequently, I'm not worried that the Aikido dojo I go to is into cooperative practice as I already get the sparring elsewhere. Sifu Dan Inosanto is famous for saying every martial art has something to offer, so an art with no sparring has benefits, even if it's not the same as a system that does.

Besides, if everything was the same, what fun would that be? Wouldn't that be be boring? I think so. Vive la difference!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #99
Aristeia
New Zealand

I've had some interesting conversations with some of my BJJ guys lately as to whether you train to do better in competitions or compete to enhance your training. i.e. do you learn so you can win, or do you compete so you can learn.

For me it's unquestionably the latter.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 08-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #100
markwalsh
United Nations
Question Re: aikido and competition

So I was just throwing my hands up in despair at the competitiveness, flamimg, bitchin, proposterone and posturing that occours on some Aiki Web threads (not this one thankfully) - when I realised I dont have a point of reference.

So question for people who use other discussion sites - how aiki are AikiWeb users by comparisson? Does the whole aikido thing show up at all in our interactions?

Cheers,
Mark