Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #26
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Tameshigiri

Here we go with the usual by the usual crowd. Bye guys. Could have been a good thread on cutting, but the agenda guys destroyed it.

Mike Sigman

Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #27
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
However, this thread started out as a humorous comment about how cutting mats is not as difficult as one would generally be led to believe.
Why didn't you use the Ginsu commercial? Because you're comparing people demonstrating cutting for their brand product in a business with Budo. You find it funny to do so. Then, you go on to state:

Quote:
I think I'd pass on bowing and scraping to some guy wearing black culottes taking a year of my time to teach me the Sacred Way (tm).

Mike
and

Quote:
Anyone want to bet that I can't cut a mat because I haven't taken lessons in the approved style?

Mike Sigman
You want to degrade and make fun of budo, how about going somewhere else?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #28
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Greg, I'm not sure if you and a couple of others are trying to start a separate discussion about Budo in a thread that's supposed to be about how easy it is to cut a beach-mat with just about any old blade

Well, why didn't you just call the thread that instead of Tameshigiri?

Quote:
or whether you're just doing some of the usual meat-puppetry and astroturfing. Would you mind starting a separate thread if you want to talk about Budo? Thanks.

Mike Sigman
Well, we all need a hobby - I don't mind being a meat puppet and doing some astroturfing as long as it makes the world a better place - however, I won't be a sockpuppet; how about you?

FWIW

Greg

Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #29
MM
United_States

Quote:
Here we go with the usual by the usual crowd. Bye guys. Could have been a good thread on cutting, but the agenda guys destroyed it.

Mike Sigman
There was an agenda ... by you. You thought it humorous to compare someone demonstrating a business to tameshigiri in budo. Everyone posted in defense of budo and tameshigiri and then you say they have an agenda?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #30
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
how about going somewhere else?
Accepted.

Mike Sigman

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #31
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Folks,

Let's stop beating the dead horse. I am obviously not a fan of Mr. Sigman (nor is he a fan of mine for that matter).

Mr. Sigman did not apparently understand the depth that comes with traditions contained with koryu. It takes a lot of time spend within a tradition to understand all that is entailed, beyond the visible practice (as was pointed out by Mr. Harden). He was apparently poking fun at some aspect of the visible, without understanding how that would negatively impact those whose traditions are represented in that type of practice.

Mr. Sigman has clearly indicated that he is leaving the thread and going elsewhere. Let us appreciate the calm of the moment and allow this thread to end. I greatly appreciate Mr. Sigman's good decision in not going forward with responses and inflaming things further. Let us all do the same.

Regards,

Marc Abrams

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #32
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Mr. Sigman did not apparently understand the depth that comes with traditions contained with koryu. It takes a lot of time spend within a tradition to understand all that is entailed, beyond the visible practice (as was pointed out by Mr. Harden). He was apparently poking fun at some aspect of the visible, without understanding how that would negatively impact those whose traditions are represented in that type of practice.
Marc, instead of doing a long-distance, keyboard analysis of what's wrong with me, in public, why not just save it until you're here in Durango next time and you can explain the depths of Budo and koryu to me. I will learn from you.

Regards,

Mike Sigman

Closed Thread