Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-07-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Red face Oh heck! Testing next month!.. :O

Was informed this evening at training that I'll be testing for 7th Kyu (Yellow.) on the 29th June

I'm both hugely excited, and booooooooy, petrified like you wouldn't believe..

It seems insane that in 8 weeks or so, after only beginning training on the 10th of April, that I'll be testing. It may only be 11 techniques (5 Techniques performed both sides, ending with Kokyu Dosa..), and the array of rolls, but it's scary enough for me!

But now, time to hit the Tiger Balm, and then sleep

G'night,

-Daniel.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
Jucas
Dojo: Multnomah Aikikai
That's great Daniel. Let us know how it goes, or if you need any help.

Personally I am getting ants in my pants about testing, I'd really like to test, cause it's been so long, but the dojo where I am currently at isn't currently (testing that is.).

I dunno, on one hand I don't care at all, aikido is about learning, a process that revolves around doing aikido.

On the other, I have had instructors tell me I am about three kyu ranks lower than a should be, encouriging me to test.

Such is life,

-J

• Like a rotten log half burried in the ground.
  • My Life which has not flowered.
  • Comes to this sad end.
-Minamoto Yorimasa
Old 05-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela
Relax Dan , is not like you're testing for Shodan!..

Just enjoy yourself and give your 100% , you'll be ok , i know.

Plus Ki!

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 05-08-2003, 02:51 AM   #4
Daniel Mills

I can do the techniques, and my ukemi is improving session by session..

A friend of mine who started a month before me is also taking 7th kyu, so her and I can work together on this, It's nice not to feel alone.

Also, one of my best friends is taking her 3rd kyu at the same time, so it should be a fun day if all goes well.

It just seems... absolutely crazy that less than a month ago, I was just giving lifts to and from the dojo for a few friends, and sitting at the side watching .. and now..

I hadn't thought about testing, as in our little membership handbook it states a minimum four months and a set amount of sessions before grading would be considered, so I'd been under the impression that if I were to test, I'd be testing the next time around, so to be told I was going to test this time, after a litle less than three months, was something of a surprise.

Many thanks for the encouragement, It's appreciated far more than you'd think.

Best,

-D.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
TomanGaidin
Congrats on the upcoming gradings. I'm sure you'll do fine .

I've got my first test also coming up soon, on the 25th of this month, after seven months of aikido. At the moment, I'm just nervous that I'll either a) just get plain pushed over in suwari waza kokyu ho right at the end, or b) somehow not spiral uke properly in ikkyo ura. But, hopefully all'll go well .
Old 05-08-2003, 06:14 AM   #6
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Daniel,

It ends up being the teachers choice of who and when to test. I am just getting three students ready for their first tests, one of them who has been training for seven months will be testing at the end of this month, and two others who have been training three months and two months respectively, will be testing in September (but I'm already getting them ready for it). Trust your teacher to know what is best for you. It is completely normal to be really nervous for your first test; just getting up there and doing it is the most important thing (and remembering the names of the techniques when they are called out).

best wishes on this, and keep us all up-to-date on how it goes.

Rachel
Old 05-08-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
sean mcdonnell
Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
My dojo has no testing or colored belts. Whether thats a good or a bad thing I don't know, but your kyu rank is mainly decided by how many hours you've put in and when our Sensei thinks your ready. I guess that's it, bye.

"Sad? What do I have to be sad about?" -Sephiroth
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Ottoniel Ojeda (otto) wrote:
Relax Dan , is not like you're testing for Shodan!..
I would have to say the first test is the hardest. Perhaps even harder then Shodan. (I don't know, still have about a year to go.)

Daniel, just remember to breath. When under preasure I always forget that very important element. I don't think I breathed during my 5th kyu test at all.

Also I have photoed and digitally video taped all my test thurs far. It has been a good measure of progress. (no none of them will be posted here, well maybe in about a year).

Ryan.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:03 AM   #9
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Way to go Daniel! Haveing your sensei see you being ready for a test early is a good indication of how well your doing. I too am testing in June. 4th kyu. I'm a little nervous as well, for two reasons.

1 While doing Tai gi this week I realised that I have been paying too much attention on ukemi and not enough on the throwing. My Nage techniques sucks.

2 I will have little time to correct this since my sensei is going in for knee surgury next week and the dojo will be closed for about two weeks after that.

Unless I can find someone to work with in the interm I am afraid I will either not pass the test or I will pass the test and not feel I deserve it.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:27 AM   #10
Daniel Mills

I spoke with Sensei about the being a bit early thing, and he told me of an old Sensei of his own, who would give pre-set amounts of hours to train for each test and all, and if you were ever just one hour short of the requirements then you would be denied the testing opportunity. Hence why he wants to do things differently, and even though I may fall a good deal short of the four month minimum, I'll have gotten all of the required classes in, hence.. in at the deep end as it were

The 7th Kyu test where I train is quite minimal, obviously as it's the first test. There are only six techniques, five of which are performed on both sides. They are;

Katate Kosa Tori Kokyunage

Katate Tori Tenkan Kokyunage

Kata Tori Ikkyo

Shomen-Uchi Kokyunage

Mune-Tsuki Kotegaishi

Then ending with Kokyu Dosa.

I should be fine for them, however, I'm a little unsure of my rolls, as I've only recently (perhaps two sessions ago..) begun to do projected ukemi, and the thought of performing a series of ukemi that I'm not 100% sure of, in front of a testing board, and several other aikidoka... fills me with such nervousness!

Typically, lowest grade tests first.. and in alphabetical order within that grade..

Guess who tests first inthe entire testing..

Good luck with training for your 4th Kyu, Kelly! Despite all the odds, I'm sure you'll do just fine. I'll willingly swap your Ukemi for my Nage

I've come to think that anyone who tests past the basics, does so for the right reasons. Even if you haven't corrected a few things, yet still pass your 4th kyu.. it won't be because you didn't deserve it, but more a case that you didn't have time to perfect them.. that could be your focus for 3rd?

I'm considering getting a friend to video my test, as a means of measuring progress, however.. I'm not sure I want to see myself at my most ungraceful

Best,

-D.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:31 AM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
I'm considering getting a friend to video my test, as a means of measuring progress, however.. I'm not sure I want to see myself at my most ungraceful
Do it. That way in 20 years when you're a big shot aikido teacher with students who think the sun rises and sets with you, you can show them the video tape and let them know you were just like them

Bronson

p.s. I'm sure you'll do fine...just don't take it, or yourself, too seriously

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-12-2003, 06:13 AM   #12
tlurie

Dojo: Kinokawa Mt. Airy
Good luck, Daniel.

Just remember, the folks that are teaching you have a very, very good idea what you can and cannot do - they aren't expecting you to suddenly execute flawless technique with astounding extension... they're hoping you relax and do your best - give them that and you will do just fine. I know at my dojo, some of the lower rank tests are just as much about spirit as they are about technique - keep trying, stay positive, never give up. The rest will come.

Let us know how it goes!

Thad