Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Krystal Locke
United_States
Odd question.

I am allowing myself to get trolled on youtube, and the guy is claiming that his name is on the nafudakake at hombu dojo. He certainly isn't telling me WHICH hombu dojo, but he claims to have trained with BAF's Kanetsuka sensei.

I mentioned to him that I am likely going to visit the Aikikai hombu dojo next summer and that I'd be happy to look him up, but I didn't think that Aikikai hombu actually has a nafudakake.

So, does it? I can imagine a name board for actual dojo members at the Aikikai, but really can't see maintaining a name on a board (as he called it) for each and every yudansha the Aikikai has registered. They'd need an entire floor just for that....

Last edited by Krystal Locke : 10-06-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: fixing a misspelling, that's all....

Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Odd question.

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post

I really can't see maintaining a name on a board (as he called it) for each and every yudansha the Aikikai has registered. They'd need an entire floor just for that....
Well, they certainly don't do that. If they have one, it would just be for people who have monthly membership at the dojo. To be honest, I don't remember whether they have one or not.

What's the guy saying, anyway?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Actually, I found the thread on youtube. He is clearly a moron with no grasp of the Japanese language or of martial arts. I wouldn't waste my time. He reminds me of a guy who turned up at our dojo a few weeks ago claiming to be able to do 20 kicks per second. We had him watch the class a few times until he got bored and went away. On one occasion, he decided to demonstrate his "special footwork" on his way out, and he fell down the stairs (I'm not kidding). Anyway, you get them occasionally. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, have fun when you get to honbu.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Krystal Locke
United_States

Google up some Dr. Death, John LaTourette. He is local to me. He and his students can "hit a man a hundred times in a minute". He is semi-retired-ish, but runs (through his son and a couple of his students) a secret invitation-only can't drop in and watch, must call first and we wont give you the number but we advertise on Craigslist, hidden (at 1128 Court St, Medford, Oregon) dojo. The only way to join is to be invited, by giving your name, phone number, and email address on their website and waiting for them to call you and give you your free $200 value training package.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clY_A9bBDVM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=v7LJR0Cv0yY
OMG, We hit our sticks together so much mine broke from your awesome kungfu. OMG, look at my hummer in the other video. OMG, only 2 spots left in our sexy 3000 sf dojo! Email us NAOOOOO!

This is the crap our area is full of. This is why I worry about lineage. This is why I check everybody in the area out....

So, no nafudakake. Didn't think so. Yeah, I know, arguing on the internet.....

Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Well, there might be nafudakake... but the point remains that he's an idiot.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
I am allowing myself to get trolled on youtube, and the guy is claiming that his name is on the nafudakake at hombu dojo. He certainly isn't telling me WHICH hombu dojo, but he claims to have trained with BAF's Kanetsuka sensei.
Hi Krystal,

What was his name? Did he say when or where he had trained with Kanetsuka Sensei? Our paths might have crossed...

You come across a lot of types who say they have "trained with" sensei so-and-so, but often that turns out to mean half a day of one seminar.

Alex

Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Krystal Locke
United_States

No name. It was a youtube troll, so only a screen name, blueinbarca. It is clear that he doesn't have anything, so I am not worried about him.

I am just curious to see if the Aikikai hombu dojo is crazy enough to have a nafudakake with everybody's name on it. That would be the hugest nafudakake ever, and I doubt anyone would really do that.

Yeah, I am imagining a mid-kyu at best, went to a seminar once at Kanetsuka sensei's dojo thinking the BAF was the central organizing aikido body for the world. Only thing worse than a troll is an aikido troll with brown belt syndrome.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
(snip). Only thing worse than a troll is an aikido troll with brown belt syndrome.
Yeah... "Just got my Ikkyu so I'll start correcting what sensei says"
"Just got my nidan so I'll show off to Sensei"... oops. ouch. that hurt...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Here's the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2ySFA3t3M&feature=plcp

In any discussion, as soon as someone uses the word "retard" I start to lose interest.

Sounds like he has issues...

Alex

Last edited by Alex Megann : 10-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Krystal Locke
United_States

Yes. I have bowed out of the discussion. Battle of wits with the unarmed. Not a worthy opponent, and I'd rather preserve the pears falling off the tree outside.

Sometimes I think I can have a reasonable discussion. Sometimes I think someone can be educated. I cannot help but feed the trolls. I should train harder.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

"Worthy opponent"? It's the internet.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

It's been years since I visited Aikikai honbu dojo but I don't recall seeing a nafudakake in any of the training halls.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Why would you even start to play the game this person has baited you into playing? You can't aikido people... even on line and in writing. Nobody is going to have their mind changed if they are not open and willing to have it changed. Let them go by don't engage them and let them go on believing whatever BS they believe. It is really ok for them to be wrong. That's their problem not yous.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Krystal Locke
United_States

I know, I know. I am just a bulldog with a big bulllshit meter. I'm sure I'll read to see if he responds (and dollars to donuts, he'll claim some sort of victory), but I wont continue the discussion, such that it is. I swear, I wont. No, really....

Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I know, I know. I am just a bulldog with a big bulllshit meter. I'm sure I'll read to see if he responds (and dollars to donuts, he'll claim some sort of victory), but I wont continue the discussion, such that it is. I swear, I wont. No, really....
It's your decision to be invested in it. Just have the good sense to know that you don't control his behavior, let alone his beliefs. Eventually you'll start to act accordingly and not waste your time on this kind of thing any more (maybe...for some people, this is their idea of fun).

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
akiy

I'd rather not have this website used to continue arguments from a different site, so I have closed this thread.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread