Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-15-2000, 11:47 AM   #1
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Ki Symbol

Are you confused about what "KI" in AIKIDO is about?

What is this "mysterious" energy and how does it relate to various martial arts, like Tai Chi and Aikido? How is it used in the healing arts of the Far East? Is the Force from StarWars the same concept?

These questions and more are examined at
The Chicago Ki Society Annex : Defining the Life Force
http://www.geocities.com/tedehara

Just use the menu links on the left frame to get to the various pages.

Ted Ehara
Old 08-15-2000, 12:27 PM   #2
Suru
United_States
Ki Symbol

I once had a discussion with a Japanese friend of mine about ki, kami, and the religion of Shinto. The point I was addressing was my thought that perhaps every nucleus of every atom is a tiny kami, and each organisms' goal is to somehow work in harmony. My friend said this is quite in tune with Shinto beliefs. Many of us know that electricity plays an essential role at the atomic level, and I now consider ki to be this electricity, ever-flowing and always joining matter together. Perhaps ki is the "One Kami" and organisms are the "many kami". I continue to seek other meanings and evidences concerning ki and kami, and I've found many aikido and religious books to be quite insightful on these topics.
--Drew
Old 08-17-2000, 07:40 PM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
For the Non-Belivers

Quote:
Suru wrote:
... Many of us know that electricity plays an essential role at the atomic level, and I now consider ki to be this electricity, ever-flowing and always joining matter together. Perhaps ki is the "One Kami" and organisms are the "many kami". I continue to seek other meanings and evidences concerning ki and kami, and I've found many aikido and religious books to be quite insightful on these topics.
--Drew
I've found many people who use "Ki" as an excuse. Since it's mysterius and "unknowable", they just stop explaining their art, be it accupuncture or aikido, and just say- "That has to do with Ki".

However, there is a good argument for those who belive Ki does not exist. After all, the guys in high energy physics are not looking for "Ki" particles.

For those who don't believe take a look at:
http://www.geocities.com/tedehara/ck...e.html#skeptic
on the Chicago Ki Society Annex.

Ted Ehara
Old 09-07-2000, 01:19 AM   #4
Uinsuton Oi
Dojo: Field Aikido Centre
You don't know what ki is? Try making a claw out of your hand. Open your hand and tense all the finger muscles until you feel blood rush to your finger tips. Eventually you will feel the flow of blood along your arm... That is ki... For techniques. Ki for life I do not know.

==================================
The the circle of yin and yang is everything around us. Everything...
==================================
Old 09-07-2000, 10:54 AM   #5
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada
In my experience one of the major reasons that scientists have a hard time accepting ki (or chi, or whatever) is that the proponents of the theory always seem to try to equate it with things like atoms, electricity, atomic orbitals, and so forth. I've seen quite a bit of this in books and articles.

Unfortunately the correlations drawn are often based on incorrect assumptions. It is very easy to hear a talk about atomic physics and pick up some of these ideas without having the background to put them in the proper context. Your average scientist who has this background reads one of these correlations and immediately calls the whole theory bunk (on the grounds if some of it is wrong, it must all be wrong).

I do not mean for this to be directed at anybody in particular, and if it is written in such a way that seems insulting, please accept my apologies in advance.

Paul
Old 09-22-2000, 09:10 AM   #6
AndrewS
"AndrewS"
IP Hash: 1af36c03
Dojo: British Aikido Fellowship, B'Ham UK
Anonymous User
Shihan's Ki

I have found many resources on the web relating to the study and practice of Aikido. I am, or try to be, a good student of Aikido; I regularly practice with various Sensei at my club, the British Aikido Fellowship, based in Birmingham UK (www.aikidofellowship.org.uk). I am but a lowly 4kyu seeking something I cannot really see or feel, but know I must continue to strive for. Poetic nonsense, maybe …. But an anonymous vent of how I feel about my particular Aikido.

We at the BAF are very lucky to train with, and learn from Shihan Ralph Reynolds. A mild mannered tornado Aikidoka of many years experience. In actual fact, though sometimes I wonder why, I find it very difficult to approach him … especially on the subject of his use (?) of Ki. A kind of magic that enables him, and some of our high grades, to 'pin' without touching, 'throw' without effort and seemingly 'draw' energy from Uki without making contact and leave Uki helpless on the floor, unable to recover … and sometimes unable to walk because of a seeming utter lack of energy!

I watched with wonder an example of 'his' Ki; a nidan instructor who placed his hand on a coffee table in front of Shihan. Shihan laid his hand over the top of his; only for a moment or two. Shihan then removed his hand and asked the nidan instructor to lift his hand from the coffee table … and guess what? He couldn't! He could not lift his hand! Why? I don't know … I can't even begin to guess ….

Is this purely an effect derived from hero-worship … perchance a placebo effect?

Or is this middle aged, 60-something year old man tapped into something that maybe others have missed?

Has anyone come across this kind of Ki before.

In anticipation of offending any, let me apologise in advance. I am, but nothing else, a traveller; someone seeking …. something he can't quite see or feel …. Yet.

Your esteemed comments and feedback are welcomed.

I am, but nothing else, a traveller; someone seeking …. something he can't quite see or feel …. Yet