Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Taiha and Jo are very similar

When discovering New Zealand in the late 1700, Captain Cook was met by a group of angry savages on the beach waving sticks. These sticks are called Taiha and those savages today are called Maori. Our Maori language has the same vowel sounds as the Japanese and pronunciation of words is the same in both languages. Our Maori men are renowned warriors from the past until the present. There are many Maori men in the Special Air Services (SAS), with the most recent decorated soldier (Maori) receiving the Victoria Cross ( purple heart equivalent).

Here is a you tube clip for reference.www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CNq4_RrUrg

Last edited by Riai Maori : 02-08-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correcting statement
Old 02-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Taiha and Jo are very similar

I thought the Victoria Cross was the highest award for heroism in the British system, similar to the American Medal of Honor. I don't know - I've only seen one on display at the Globe and Laurel in Quantico, Virginia.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
I thought the Victoria Cross was the highest award for heroism in the British system, similar to the American Medal of Honor. I don't know - I've only seen one on display at the Globe and Laurel in Quantico, Virginia.
Yes correct, New Zealand along with Canada is one of many commonwealth countries, who recognize the British Queen as their monarch. Our New Zealand flag has the British Union Jack in its is left-hand top corner unlike Canada. The Maori flag you see under my location is not the official New Zealand flag. I am Maori and one of the many indigenous people of our land. "Thanks Aikiweb for acknowledging my people"

Last edited by Riai Maori : 02-08-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added to comment
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Lance-Corporal Bill (Willie) Henry Apiata, NZSAS

Willie Apiata

Date of action: May–September 2004 (Afghanistan)
Date of award: 2 July 2007

Bill (Willie) Apiata is the recipient to date of the Victoria Cross (VC) for New Zealand. Apiata was part of a New Zealand Special Air Service (NZSAS) Troop in Afghanistan in 2004 that was attacked by about 20 enemy fighters while camped for the night in a rural area. Rocket-propelled grenades destroyed one of the troop’s vehicles and immobilised another. Apiata was blown off the bonnet of the vehicle he had been sleeping on, while two other soldiers in or near the vehicle were wounded by shrapnel, one of them seriously. After finding cover and assessing the soldier’s injuries, Apiata carried him across 70 m of exposed ground to reach the troop’s main position. He then helped fight off the attackers. Corporal Apiata received his VC on 26 July 2007 at Government House in Wellington. New Zealand

Second Lieutenant Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu, 28th (Maori) Battalion, 2NZEF
Te Moananui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu in 1940

Te Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngārimu

Date of action: 26 March 1943 (Tebaga Gap, Tunisia)
Date of award: 4 June 1943 (posthumous award)

Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngārimu was the first Māori soldier to win the VC. A second lieutenant in the 28th (Maori) Battalion’s C Company, he took part in the assault at Tebaga Gap, Tunisia, in March 1943. The battalion’s objective was a strategically important hill known as Point 209. The first task was to take high ground below the summit. Ngārimu led his platoon up one of these lower hills on 26 March, personally knocking out several machine-gun posts. After capturing the crest, his men repelled a number of fierce German counter-attacks during the night. Despite wounds to his shoulder and leg, Ngārimu refused to leave his position. He was killed the next morning fighting off another enemy attack. His VC was presented to his parents at a hui at Ruatōria on 6 October 1943.

Last edited by Riai Maori : 02-08-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added to comment
Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Brave men indeed. I'm not denigrating the Purple Heart, which is awarded for combat wounds. Those who have been awarded it have suffered terribly and are deserving of our respect and gratitude. The Victoria Cross and the MOH are a much different category and the heroism involved is beyond belief. These two men demonstrated not only valor, but a selfless conduct that defies mere courage.

You are rightfully proud of these warriors and your warrior heritage.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Brave men indeed. I'm not denigrating the Purple Heart, which is awarded for combat wounds. Those who have been awarded it have suffered terribly and are deserving of our respect and gratitude. The Victoria Cross and the MOH are a much different category and the heroism involved is beyond belief. These two men demonstrated not only valor, but a selfless conduct that defies mere courage.

You are rightfully proud of these warriors and your warrior heritage.
Thank you Michael for your kind comments. My sincerest apology for the misrepresentation of the "Purple Heart" and thanks again for bringing me up to date with the "Medal Of Honor. Our brave soldiers are "brothers in arms" on the battlefield.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Cliff Judge
Japan

So how is the Jo and the taihai similar?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36gE1ukuAdc
Old 02-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
So how is the Jo and the taihai similar?
For a start they are both sticks of wood?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Toby Kasavan wrote: View Post
These are similar to Ratten Sticks. But not made of bamboo. Used for song and dance and the development of the wrist for the use of Poi.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Richard Campbell wrote: View Post
For a start they are both sticks of wood?
Hmmm. They appear to be the same length as a jo, but they are more like wooden spears. Osensei was fond of short spears.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Hmmm. They appear to be the same length as a jo, but they are more like wooden spears. Osensei was fond of short spears.
Correct, but from my experience, the Tiaha is not thrown as you would a spear, this is not to say you can't, but the club end may impede flight. The circular movements and thrusts of the Tiaha are close to some Jo movements. Example of the "Hasso" Technique, you can see in the video where us Maori perform a similar Technique and stance.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
dps

I am not surprised at the similarities, there are alot of names for using a stick for martial arts but only a limited number of ways to use it.

Some names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_fighting

Africa: Dambe (Hausa) · Istunka (Somali) · Juego del Palo (Canarian) · Nguni (South Africa) · Nuba · Surma

Asia: Eskrima (Filipino) · (Bojutsu (Japanese, Okinawan) · Dambong-Veng (Cambodia) · Gun (Chinese) · Hanbojutsu (Japanese) · Jojutsu (Japanese) · Lathi khela (Bangladeshi) · Kalaripayat (Keralan) · Silambam (Tamil) · Tanjojutsu (Japanese)

Americas: Juego del Garrote (Venezuela) · Bajan (Barbados) · Calinda (Trinidad)

Europe: Bata (Irish) · Bāton (French) · La canne (French) · Jogo do Pau (Portuguese) · Quarterstaff (English) · Singlestick (British)

and so on.

dps
Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Smile Re: Taiha and Jo are very similar

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I am not surprised at the similarities, there are alot of names for using a stick for martial arts but only a limited number of ways to use it.

Some names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_fighting

Africa: Dambe (Hausa) · Istunka (Somali) · Juego del Palo (Canarian) · Nguni (South Africa) · Nuba · Surma

Asia: Eskrima (Filipino) · (Bojutsu (Japanese, Okinawan) · Dambong-Veng (Cambodia) · Gun (Chinese) · Hanbojutsu (Japanese) · Jojutsu (Japanese) · Lathi khela (Bangladeshi) · Kalaripayat (Keralan) · Silambam (Tamil) · Tanjojutsu (Japanese)

Americas: Juego del Garrote (Venezuela) · Bajan (Barbados) · Calinda (Trinidad)

Europe: Bata (Irish) · Bāton (French) · La canne (French) · Jogo do Pau (Portuguese) · Quarterstaff (English) · Singlestick (British)

and so on.

dps
Every country in the world have stick weapons. Not just the above mentioned. Heck you can find a stick anywhere...on the beach...on the street...and so on... But are you aware that our Maori & Japanese languages and culture are similar? A classic example is we take our shoes off when entering the Wharenui, as do the Japanese.

Last edited by Riai Maori : 02-10-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Retraction: Every Country, should be Most countries. Thank you
Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Richard Campbell wrote: View Post
Correct, but from my experience, the Tiaha is not thrown as you would a spear, this is not to say you can't, but the club end may impede flight. The circular movements and thrusts of the Tiaha are close to some Jo movements. Example of the "Hasso" Technique, you can see in the video where us Maori perform a similar Technique and stance.
I don't believe the Japanese - the ones who brought rice agriculture to Japan, at any rate - used spears that were designed for throwing, fwiw.