Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
CarlRylander
Does sunshine have Ki in it?

Well, it makes ME stronger! What would Osensei have said?

You can have too much of it, though, and you can't have too much Ki!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Does sunshine have Ki in it?

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote: View Post
and you can't have too much Ki!
Traditional Chinese Medicine would disagree.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
RED
United_States

Sunshine increases Vitamin D production. Vitamin D fuels the absorbency of Vitamin B12 and B6.
These B complexes increase the metabolism and boost endurance. High Vitamin D also increases endorphin level in the brain.
So metabolically, 10 minutes of direct sun light,3 times per week, will make you feel better, happier, and improve the chemical ballance of the brain.

However, too much sun will cause genetic deterioration and coax the growth of free radicals in the body. This process causes the body's cell to become oxidized. This causes cancer and premature aging.

I don't know if sunlight is "Ki"
It's all in moderation... you can have too much "Ki" and too much sunlight. Especially if it is bad Ki.

O'sensei thought Aiki worked both ways. The same force you use for protecting yourself, loving other and healing yourself and others, can just as easily be used to kill and maim and hate. That's why O'Sensei was selective about who he accepted as a student. You can technically kill some one using Aiki principles.

Last edited by RED : 06-30-2010 at 09:24 AM.

MM
Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
O'sensei thought Aiki worked both ways. The same force you use for protecting yourself, loving other and healing yourself and others, can just as easily be used to kill and maim and hate. That's why O'Sensei was selective about who he accepted as a student. You can technically kill some one using Aiki principles.
And how do you know what O Sensei thought? And how does the ability to "technically kill some one (sic) using Aiki principles (whatever they are)" relate to sunshine?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
lbb
United_States

And how can you have sunshine on a cloudy day, anyway???
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
And how can you have sunshine on a cloudy day, anyway???
That's my girl!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

You can have sunshine on a cloudy day if you hang out with "My Girl".

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

being meaning to put some solar panels on my hakama. problem is my ass too wide and it keeps blotting out the sun. i am thinking of going for bio-degradable approach, using cabbage and beans, to increase my Ki. i believed O Sensei would approve such approach.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
BC
Freaky! Re: Does sunshine have Ki in it?

"In my world everyone's a pony, and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

Robert Cronin
Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
dps

Aikido the art of Peace.

Budo is love.

Ki is Sunshine.

Feel the love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmxSL6H2QEg

David

Last edited by dps : 06-30-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
being meaning to put some solar panels on my hakama. problem is my ass too wide and it keeps blotting out the sun. i am thinking of going for bio-degradable approach, using cabbage and beans, to increase my Ki. i believed O Sensei would approve such approach.
I wonder what OSensei would think of your diet :-)
Is Aikido air :-) ( try your diet )
Ki and sunshine :-)

Henry Ellis
http://www.british-aikido.com
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Quote:
i am thinking of going for bio-degradable approach, using cabbage and beans, to increase my Ki. i believed O Sensei would approve such approach.
Oh yes...I've heard of this. I believe the Aikido technique is called Pootanage, roughly translated as "The Great Wind Throw". It's the most effective no-touch throw, envied by masters all throughout Japanese history.

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
You can have sunshine on a cloudy day if you hang out with "My Girl".
Precisely!! Well said! Joe.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
sakumeikan
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Does sunshine have Ki in it?

Quote:
O sensei might well have approved of your approach however I think you partners would have had strong reservations about your training methods/dietary needs..Of course with such a diet you might well have to spend more time in the rest room than on the tatami.
Is this blog a WIND up? Joe.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael McNamara wrote: View Post
Oh yes...I've heard of this. I believe the Aikido technique is called Pootanage, roughly translated as "The Great Wind Throw". It's the most effective no-touch throw, envied by masters all throughout Japanese history.
Dear michael,
Does this throw blow away all opposition?Perhaps you could include a clip of this on video for our amusement and edification?
I for one am always on the look out for new waza.Perhaps you should consider a holding a Seminar on this Waza?
Joe.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear michael,
Does this throw blow away all opposition?Perhaps you could include a clip of this on video for our amusement and edification?
I for one am always on the look out for new waza.Perhaps you should consider a holding a Seminar on this Waza?
Joe.
have you seen our shihan, the Spleen? http://www.metacafe.com/watch/584770...en_the_spleen/
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Quote:
have you seen our shihan, the Spleen? http://www.metacafe.com/watch/584770...en_the_spleen/
Master!! I have found you!!! Hahahahaha! Nice one....Thanks

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #18
RED
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
And how do you know what O Sensei thought? And how does the ability to "technically kill some one (sic) using Aiki principles (whatever they are)" relate to sunshine?
He asked is Sunshine was Ki. I don't know if it is or not.

The statement that O'Sensei believed Ki worked both ways is from his biography and from his "Secret Teachings" book,both published by his son and the 2nd Doshu. I highly suggest picking them up if you haven't, especially the latter, it goes fully in depth about what O'Sensei considered Aiki principles and his thoughts on Ki.
I drew a line saying ki works both ways according to O'Sensei, and Sunshine works both ways according to modern science.

Last edited by RED : 06-30-2010 at 06:57 PM.

MM
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #19
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
The statement that O'Sensei believed Ki worked both ways is from his biography and from his "Secret Teachings" book,both published by his son and the 2nd Doshu. I highly suggest picking them up if you haven't, especially the latter, it goes fully in depth about what O'Sensei considered Aiki principles and his thoughts on Ki.
Thank you, I own them. But that is still the interpretation of Kisshomaru, the Great Reformer.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
CarlRylander

Sunshine's just radiation. It causes life, which has Ki in it. There might be some forms of life that don't need a sun, so Ki might be seperate.

Isn't there a science fiction book that brings up the idea of the 'Universal will to become' ??

That might be Ki ? Perhaps it was a massive dose of Ki, that started the Big Bang?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #21
RED
United_States

Quote:
Thank you, I own them. But that is still the interpretation of Kisshomaru, the Great Reformer.
Well I'm Aikikai and post war Aikido. So I'm inclined to believe all the Doshu just because I was brought up under the Aikikai

I understand the concerns of the prewar schools however.

MM
Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Well I'm Aikikai and post war Aikido. So I'm inclined to believe all the Doshu just because I was brought up under the Aikikai
While this is, of course, great, it doesn't mean just because you are Aikikai you must believe what Doshu (or whoever) says. Critical thinking works wonders.

Quote:
I understand the concerns of the prewar schools however.
Not concerns, but facts. And in most occasions well documented.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
RED
United_States

Quote:
While this is, of course, great, it doesn't mean just because you are Aikikai you must believe what Doshu (or whoever) says. Critical thinking works wonders.

Not concerns, but facts. And in most occasions well documented.
Frankly, at this step in my Aikido I recognize that my teachers and the Doshu know more than I do. I'm still trying to learn Aikido.
I don't feel I've advanced enough to question with any good opinion yet. I don't like to make stone-hard opinions until I feel I have enough knowledge to do so. Until then I ask questions of people who obviously know more than me.

MM
Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #24
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Frankly, at this step in my Aikido I recognize that my teachers and the Doshu know more than I do. I'm still trying to learn Aikido.
That's great. And true. They know more than you (or I) do. And that's not necessarily what they are transmitting.

Quote:
I don't feel I've advanced enough to question with any good opinion yet. I don't like to make stone-hard opinions until I feel I have enough knowledge to do so. Until then I ask questions of people who obviously know more than me.
Well, you are making several if not many stone-hard assertions in this forum since long ago. And seriously, people like the Saitos, Tomiki, Mochizuki, Shioda, Chiba... even Tohei... and then Pranin, Amdur... they obviously know more than you too, and they all agree in that Kisshomaru changed the rules of the game.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #25
MM
United_States

Quote:
That's funny, because in another thread, you stated that you did have enough knowledge.

Quote:
I'm aware of what he did. And I'm aware of what he said.

The quote is a warning to people who care too much about rank.
Quote:
That's great. And true. They know more than you (or I) do. And that's not necessarily what they are transmitting.

Well, you are making several if not many stone-hard assertions in this forum since long ago. And seriously, people like the Saitos, Tomiki, Mochizuki, Shioda, Chiba... even Tohei... and then Pranin, Amdur... they obviously know more than you too, and they all agree in that Kisshomaru changed the rules of the game.
I would listen to Alejandro Villanueva. You can go to Aikido Journal and get all the back issues on DVD to read. I think getting an online subscription might even get you that DVD for free (used to be a special and I'm not sure it's still there). There are a lot of articles and interviews regarding how "history" was changed by the son.