Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #76
Randall Lim
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Singapore
Singapore
Re: Grappling In Aikido

Quote:
Salim Shaw wrote: View Post
Sure there's much more to Aiki principles. I guess the question becomes, can a Judoka, Jujutsuka use Aiki principles in there Judo/Jujutsu? I think this is what Roy Dean has been trying to demonstrate in his approach to martials arts in general. Roy Dean knows Aikido, he is a 1st dan, but incoporates Aiki in his BJJ. I think he has a great approach to Aiki and self defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivWAcPlzFg
The secret to achieve "Ju" is through "Aiki".

Do not compare Modern Sport Judo with Aikido, because the former has lost much of its "Ju".

Instead compare Traditional Kodokan Judo (where there is a strong emphasis on "Ju") with Aikido.

You will see that the secret to achieve "Ju" is through "Aiki".
Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #77
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I think people have a hard time understanding competition. When a skilled man faces an unskilled man, it's easy and effortless for the skilled man to defeat the unskilled man. Even if the unskilled man is larger and physically more powerful. This is not competition.

However if both men have similar levels of ability, experience and physicality there will be struggle. This is the nature of conflict and competition, and no martial art system is beyond this fact.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #78
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States

Quote:
Randall Lim wrote: View Post
The secret to achieve "Ju" is through "Aiki".
Huh? Could you explain this? So how did the jujutsu masters of the past, that had remarkable skills before the advent of aikido, do this this then? Did they not have the "secret" yet?

Last edited by Eric Joyce : 11-19-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added txt

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #79
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Eric Joyce wrote: View Post
Huh? Could you explain this? So how did the jujutsu masters of the past, that had remarkable skills before the advent of aikido, do this this then? Did they not have the "secret" yet?
I think you have it backwards, actually - the jujutsu masters of the past DID have it - they just didn't call it aiki.

Aiki isn't something O Sensei or Sokaku Takeda invented, it was present in slightly different forms in many different arts. O Sensei's gift to us - and kind of a loaded gift, to be sure - was to create an art that took what was deep, inner, secret stuff in the ancestor arts, and plunk it down on the table on Day 1.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #80
Eric Joyce
United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I think you have it backwards, actually - the jujutsu masters of the past DID have it - they just didn't call it aiki.

Aiki isn't something O Sensei or Sokaku Takeda invented, it was present in slightly different forms in many different arts. O Sensei's gift to us - and kind of a loaded gift, to be sure - was to create an art that took what was deep, inner, secret stuff in the ancestor arts, and plunk it down on the table on Day 1.
That was actually my point. They did have it, in one form or another and they didn't need to do it via "aiki". What Randall stated was:

"The secret to achieve "Ju" is through "Aiki".

This statement, to me, was more absolute. Like you said, it was presented in different forms in many different arts.

Eric Joyce
Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #81
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
That was actually my point. They did have it, in one form or another and they didn't need to do it via "aiki". What Randall stated was:

This statement, to me, was more absolute. Like you said, it was presented in different forms in many different arts.
I apologize for getting what you had backwards backwards.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #82
Eric Joyce
United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I apologize for getting what you had backwards backwards.
No problem Cliff

Eric Joyce
Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #83
Randall Lim
Singapore

Quote:

The concept of "Aiki" is not limited to our Aikido techniques alone.

"Aiki" is present in any technique that allows a person to experience "Ju" with an attack.

For example: If your opponent pushes you, & you use his forward force/momentum (together with a little of your own force) to break his balance, you are actually using "Aiki" to experience "Ju" for yourself.

If a person truly wishes to experience "Ju" in his techniques, he has to use "Aiki".

"Ju" & "Aiki" are very closely inter-related. Their relationship is that of a "Cause&Effect" nature.

The use of "Aiki" allows you to experience "Ju".

Last edited by Randall Lim : 11-19-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #84
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

What Randall is calling Aiki here I call it... Ju.

Last edited by Flintstone : 11-20-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #85
Eric Joyce
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
What Randall is calling Aiki here I call it... Ju.
I agree.

Eric Joyce
Old 11-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #86
Eric Joyce
United_States

Quote:
The concept of "Aiki" is not limited to our Aikido techniques alone.

"Aiki" is present in any technique that allows a person to experience "Ju" with an attack.

For example: If your opponent pushes you, & you use his forward force/momentum (together with a little of your own force) to break his balance, you are actually using "Aiki" to experience "Ju" for yourself.

If a person truly wishes to experience "Ju" in his techniques, he has to use "Aiki".

"Ju" & "Aiki" are very closely inter-related. Their relationship is that of a "Cause&Effect" nature.

The use of "Aiki" allows you to experience "Ju".
Ahhh, no. I don't have to use "aiki" to experience "ju". Using your example, I am using the "ju" principle from beginning to end.

If that is what "aiki" is (putting that little extra force behind my technique) then the discussions on this board for the past 8 years have been a waste of time. You just defined it.

Eric Joyce
Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #87
Randall Lim
Singapore

Quote:
Ahhh, no. I don't have to use "aiki" to experience "ju". Using your example, I am using the "ju" principle from beginning to end.

If that is what "aiki" is (putting that little extra force behind my technique) then the discussions on this board for the past 8 years have been a waste of time. You just defined it.
In my opinion, "Aiki" is not about "putting that little extra force behind my technique". That experience would be "Ju".

"Aiki" principles help in the experience of "Ju".
Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #88
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Quote:
In my opinion, "Aiki" is not about "putting that little extra force behind my technique". That experience would be "Ju".

"Aiki" principles help in the experience of "Ju".
So, how does it work?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #89
Randall Lim
Singapore

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
So, how does it work?
As long as you are able to blend or harmonise with Uke's force/energy/momentum/Ki ("Aiki"), and then effortlessly break his balance & counter ("Ju").

"Aiki" being the "Cause", and "Ju" being the "Effect".

This is what I mean when I say that the secret to achieve "Ju" is through "Aiki".

You may not agree with me, but at least understand what I mean.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #90
Flintstone
Spain

Understood. That's Ju from beginning to end.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #91
guest1234567
Spain

At the end of the class our teacher sometimes let us do some grappling, kind of jiujitsu just to become stronger, it is good to train like that, everybody enjoys it a lot
Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #92
Randall Lim
Singapore

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Understood. That's Ju from beginning to end.
Then, in your opinion, what exactly is "Aiki"??
Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #93
Eric Joyce
United_States

I will make no attempts to define aiki but feel free to use the search button and you will find a lot of information. Just be prepared to be on the computer reading this stuff for a long time.

Something to think of Randall....why, if one can only experience ju through the use of aiki, does DR have a DR Jujutsu curriculum & a DR Aikijujutsu curriculum? Wouldn't their jujutsu be impossible to do without aiki if there is this cause & effect relationship? Just something to ponder.

Eric Joyce
Old 11-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #94
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Then, in your opinion, what exactly is "Aiki"??
Already stated MHO before in the forum. Not mainstream I must admit, so I'm not surprised we don't think the same here. Not saying that your Aiki won't improve your Ju, just that it has little in common with it.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #95
Randall Lim
Singapore

Quote:
I will make no attempts to define aiki but feel free to use the search button and you will find a lot of information. Just be prepared to be on the computer reading this stuff for a long time.

Something to think of Randall....why, if one can only experience ju through the use of aiki, does DR have a DR Jujutsu curriculum & a DR Aikijujutsu curriculum? Wouldn't their jujutsu be impossible to do without aiki if there is this cause & effect relationship? Just something to ponder.
I guess, just because something does not include an element in its name, does not mean that this something does not have that element.

In this case, just because DR Jujitsu does not include "Aiki" in its name, does not mean that DR Jujitsu does not have "Aiki" in it.

I guess both names refer to the same thing. ,
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #96
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
I don't think he's saying that results are impossible, just that its not quite RIGHT if not done with Aiki. More like you can see / feel the difference when a master does a technique with Aiki vs a beginner muscling it, or someone in the middle doing something in between.

I also don't think the fact that Takeda created a set of kata and called them the "Aikijujutsu" series means that the study of Aiki in Daito ryu is confined to the stuff on that scroll. O Sensei found the techniques of the first scroll to be sufficient vehicles for exploration of Aiki, after all.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #97
Eric Joyce
United_States

DR jujutsu & aikijujutsu are not different names for the same thing. They are in fact...different. I think the disconnect here is that what some aikidoka think is aiki is really just ju. Don't take my word for it but research what DR aiki is/looks like and then compare it to aikido's aiki.

You may discover what you are calling aiki isn't what DR calls aiki & is in fact just another extrapolation of the ju principle. Just my 2 cents.

Eric Joyce
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #98
Randall Lim
Singapore

Quote:
DR jujutsu & aikijujutsu are not different names for the same thing. They are in fact...different. I think the disconnect here is that what some aikidoka think is aiki is really just ju. Don't take my word for it but research what DR aiki is/looks like and then compare it to aikido's aiki.

You may discover what you are calling aiki isn't what DR calls aiki & is in fact just another extrapolation of the ju principle. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your input. I have always thought that they were both the same thing. Just one being the shorter form of the other.

Anyway, it is good that we are open for discussion.

However, I do remember reading from somewhere that Judo's founder Dr. Jigoro Kano once mentioned after watching an Aikido demonstration by O'Sensei that THAT was indeed true Budo.

Maybe Kano had been searching for the secret to easily achieve "Ju" in his Judo, but could not until he saw Aikido. Kano in fact invited O'Sensei to join his Kodokan, be did not because O'Sensei had already established his own school.

What do you think of this??

Last edited by Randall Lim : 11-24-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #99
Flintstone
Spain

That Kano thought aiki was a superior body skill than "just" ju.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #100
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

I think that there is a big difference between reading Kanos statement about aikido like "aikido is THE true budo" and "aikido is A true budo"

Quote:
However, I do remember reading from somewhere that Judo's founder Dr. Jigoro Kano once mentioned after watching an Aikido demonstration by O'Sensei that THAT was indeed true Budo.
What do you think of this??