Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-23-2002, 12:27 PM   #1
akiy

Ignore List

Hi folks,

Since a few people have asked me in private e-mail about the "ignore list" feature on these Forums recently, I thought I'd write about this feature here in the Feedback Forum for everyone.

As the url="http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/misc.php?s=&action=faq"]FAQ[/url] states, "Ignore lists are used for those people whose messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread."

To edit your ignore list, go to the following URL:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/member...serlist=ignore

... and enter the username(s) of the people you'd like to ignore.

I'm hoping that people here will behave themselves so that everyone's ignore lists are completely empty! Remember, folks: the first rule of these Forums is "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect."

Thanks!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:21 PM   #2
akiy

Hi everyone,

Since I had a few minutes today, I went and added a new icon which you'll find at the top of every post. If you select this icon, it'll automatically include that person into your ignore list.

To remove people from your ignore list (in other words, if you want to see their posts again), simply go to the URL referenced in the post above, erase the user's name from your ignore list, then push the "Update List" button.

Hope that helps!

-- Jun

Old 04-25-2002, 09:22 PM   #3
jk
Hi Jun,

Do the people being ignored get some feedback? As in a "number of people ignoring you" statistic? Heck, I personally would like to know if people think I'm being too much of an a**hole on Aikiweb. There might be a contest in here somewhere...

Just a thought...

Regards,
Old 04-25-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
guest1234
Hey, Jun, I still don't have my glasses on, but is that icon a trash can? I prefer to think of it more like when I mingle at a party, and as I approach a group I hear a person loudly saying something I know will just lure me into a debate that is not good for my BP or the party mood, and so I go in search of punch and cookies instead...

I kind of do the same with threads that start to 'interest' me too much. Opps, look at the time, must go find more punch...

And it figures it just took a short while to make a contest out of it, something that amazes me about the male mind. Find a way to measure something, and instantly goals are set and records challenged
Old 04-25-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
Edward
Thailand
I personally find the trash icon quite cute, as a matter of fact. And as John mentioned, I would be interested to know if I figure on the ignore list of someone, and who exactly it is. The contest idea of "the most ignored person on aikiweb" sounds great to me!

Cheers,
Edward
Old 04-25-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
guest1234
OK, I like the circle/slash...

Why would you want to know who was ignoring you, or even if you are ignored? I don't see that as necessarily something bad, I'm sure we all have those we get along with, and those that send us insearch of punch, and being one of those may just mean you are passionate, which can be good... but dangerous when mixed with something I'm equally but oppositely passionate about. Ideas and opinions get exchanged up to a point, after that it is just wasted breath and hard on others to hear it...but that doesn't make anyone necessarily right or wrong. You just don't sit them next to eachother at a wedding
Old 04-25-2002, 10:29 PM   #7
guest1234
even better... now can you make one with his hands over his ears, and maybe a blindfold on?
Old 04-25-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
akiy

Hi everyone,

I went and changed the trashcan icon to the "straight-face" icon... Yes, Colleen -- it was a circle and a slash for a minute there, but I thought that might be too "harsh" too! Hope it doesn't seem that harsh any more!

As for knowing how many people ignore you (or anyone else), you can look at your profile. You can do this by either clicking on the profile link (which looks like: ) at the top of that person's post or (if you can't see that person's post since, say, you've ignored them) you can do a search for their username through the memberlist by going to this link:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/member...&action=search

... and clicking on the search result username that you're interested in.

Let's not get into a contest about who can get into people's ignore lists, though, huh? I'd rather we keep things civil to begin with...

-- Jun

PS: Colleen, it's mighty hard selecting the "right" icon, especially when it's so tiny! I'm a geek, not an artist!

Old 04-25-2002, 10:42 PM   #9
guest1234
And I'm old and in need of reading glasses...I could have lived with the trashcan, I just imagined a cookie monster inside of it
Old 04-25-2002, 11:15 PM   #10
Edward
Thailand
Jun,

Thanks for adding the feature of knowing the number of "ignoring" members.

I think it's very useful to know that some people are sensitive to one's comments and decide not to read them. I hope "ignored" people would have a thought about why they are "rejected" and would find a way to improve their internet manners.

Cheers,
Edward
Old 04-26-2002, 04:00 AM   #11
jk
Sorry about the contest stuff, Colleen; being a guy is a real living hell, what with all that testosterone and all...

Thanks for the info re ignore lists, Jun. You're right, the contest thing could set off all sorts of juvenile behavior. But while you're at it, the might seem a bit unclear (at least that's the way it looked to me); can't you replace it with a Bozo the Clown pic?

Regards,
Old 04-26-2002, 05:04 AM   #12
guest1234
Jun, hey, how about a really smallp... uhm, er , uh, person...yeah...

John, you guys really have my sympathy, I don't know how you survive...about the only two things I envy are the ability to relieve oneself midway across an ocean in a fighter, and while carrying a pack and a radio on a road march
Old 04-26-2002, 07:49 AM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Well playing with the icon I sort of put Jun on my ignore list.

Strange but the forums started making sense and as soon as I removed him well .....

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #14
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
Well playing with the icon I sort of put Jun on my ignore list.

Strange but the forums started making sense and as soon as I removed him well .....
Hey, hey, hey! Watch it, or I'll start up a "Competition in Aikido" thread!

Sheesh. Must be all that humidity in Himeji or something...

As far as the "straight faced" picture maybe being ambiguous, maybe if I changed it to the "dead" icon ( ), it would make more sense? Or would that be too harsh?

-- Jun

Old 04-26-2002, 09:17 AM   #15
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
No Jun switch the icon - dead face says it all

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-26-2002, 09:40 AM   #16
guest1234
This one is good... I just thought it was closing its eyes (and will probably just keep that ignorant frame of mind while using it )
Old 04-26-2002, 09:44 AM   #17
akiy

The icon it is, then!

-- Jun

Old 04-30-2002, 04:33 AM   #18
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
"Unignoring"

Hi, how do you remove someone from your ignore list? I'm, err, missing the intellectual challenge of unravelling fractured sentences now I've completed today's Times crossword
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 04-30-2002, 05:52 AM   #19
thomson

Dojo: Sarpy Aikido Club
Unignore

Jim,
Go into your "user controls" and find the edit ignore list. Then just delete that name and viola' "they're baaaaaaack....."

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. - Sun Tzu
Old 04-30-2002, 06:20 AM   #20
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Thanks, I suppose being a "dirty fingernail" engineer (as my father used to put it) doesn't prepare me for this here new fangled technology.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 04-30-2002, 11:39 AM   #21
akiy

Just to let people know, I recently found and fixed a bug in the code for displaying the "Ignored by" statistic in people's
profiles...

-- Jun