Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #126
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Aiki Doh's

I've known a couple of people that would have worked on...

Probably myself too, at one time or another!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #127
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

It is a great method to use. Poor little yellow and green belts wearing a black belt. They always eagerly took it... then were forced to keep it when they wanted to give it back. They soon found out they didn't know so much, couldn't teach, couldn't do higher level katas, couldn't take throws, etc.

One poor kid went out in the middle of the room all proud wearing one of my instructors black belts. She told him to get a bokken and do sword kata #1. The poor kid stood out there for a good 10 minutes while we all stood in the back of the room and stared at him. Finally he said "I don't know the kata... I'm just a yellow belt." My sensei said "Are you sure? You were just offering purple and brown belts advice. Only a black belt would do something like that." Never did have much of a problem with that kid after that.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #128
AnaSophia
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States

Kicked my partner while taking ukemi from shihonage or kotegaeshi.

Dropped someone while performing a back stretch.

Unintentionally slapped uke in the face during a modified iriminage.

Started to roll, saw someone in front of me, and planted my face in the mat so I wouldn't roll into her. I got a concussion. She didn't notice.

Absentmindedly bowed at the beginning of class at a point where you're not supposed to bow. it was a beginner class, so I was one of the more senior students there, and everyone else followed my lead. Sensei looks amused and says "well that's interesting"...

Accidentally reversed a shodan while taking ukemi from shihonage, after practicing for less than a month.

Threw an 11-year-old, injured, beginner student so hard that she simply crumpled into a ball.

Made a high-pitched squeek when a sandan approached me from behind and said ONEGAISHIMASU rather loudly.

one of my favorites: after being absent from the dojo for a week or two, I came back to see a new face. I was working with him on a kotegaeshi. Assuming he was a brand new student, I gently told him "you know, it doesn't really feel like you're getting me off balance..." he responds, "oh, you want me to?" and slammed me so hard I almost did my first-ever standing breakfall. turns out that he's an ikkyu student that had just come back to the dojo after a long-term injury. woops.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #129
Janet Rosen

Quote:
AnaSophia Eiseman wrote: View Post
Accidentally reversed a shodan while taking ukemi from shihonage, after practicing for less than a month.
LOL at your list! but this one...I'd be darned proud :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #130
Jesse Legon
Dojo: Shodokan Honbu, Osaka (Ittaikan Brighton/Central London SA)
Japan

Managed to split my trousers from knee to crotch today. Yay. My partner was supremely amused.

Once Sensei was pairing people together and I had been partnered already, so I was enjoying a long, deep, satisfying, lion-yawn when Sensei changed his mind and turned to see me yawning. He did a mini-bow and said 'shitsureshimasu' (roughly meaning 'sorry to disturb you') Whole class laughed. Oh well!

Countless aiki-dohs stemming from having poor Japanese in a Japanese dojo. I'm a gaijin and am therefore expected to make mistakes so no one seems to mind. For some reason I usually stand with the boys when I'm supposed to be with the girls, wander aimlessly round the mat when I have not understood where I'm supposed to be and once I FORGOT TO REI TO SHIHAN!! I realised as soon as I had done it and followed him around hoping for another chance, but it was not forthcoming. Oh well, he always beams at me so I got away with it I guess!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #131
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

My boss had got it in his head to work me two doubles in a row again on weekends. 12 hour shifts on my feet and moving constantly with little break time tends to do a number on my knees and legs.

So Sunday nights class. I am asked up to help demonstrate a technique.This is a first for me and I was pretty happy to be asked. So after taking a fall from the technique I get back up..... totally loose my balance and collapse backward in a heap......not even a graceful fall and certainly not good ukemmi.....Simply had no power in my legs to prevent it. Jumped back up apologized and kept going.....

Next time I sure hope I at least control the fall and make it look good.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #132
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Today I raised my bokken up to cut shomen and there was the odd sound of it hitting something plastic. I immediately felt really quite sick. I'd just stabbed O-Sensei.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #133
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

hmmmm well.....

Sensei Garth had us doing all kinds of new (too me) stuff tonight. All rather interesting... but the Aiki Otoshi totally took the cake.... I was working in wiht Sensei Tara and another student and trying to figure out how this one worked. Having a bit of an issue with the ukemi and I was sure it was going to happen....

then it did.

I went in for he attack.

Sensei Tara dropped into place.

And I managed to very ungracefully trip over and then flatten her.

Ummm....good reversal or just another funky version of bowling for senseis?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #134
repTABOR
Dojo: Oswego Aikido Club (State University of New York)
United_States
Aiki D'ohs

Here are a few different stories, not in any particular order:

1 - We were practicing punch evasions in practice one day and my instructor was getting annoyed because I wasn't really trying to hit him. He planted his feet, put his arms down at his side and positioned his head forward a bit and said "now, hit me." I figured he would move at the last second, but he didn't and I ended up punching him right in the face.

2 - I don't get to do Aikido very often now that I've graduated, but I occasionally drive back to campus to practice and hang out with my friends. During one particular visit, I hadn't seen one specific friend in over a month. When she stepped into the studio and saw me she called out at me, raised her arms and charged at me, full speed. My first reaction was to take her down to the mat, which apparently was not what she had in mind... "Matt!" she yelled, "I just wanted a hug!"

3a - I have Tourette's Syndrome and some of my tics involve snapping my fingers and one-hand-clapping, so my hands are much stronger than what you would expect for someone my size (145 lbs). This tends to surprise people when applying the Yonkyo nerve pinch

3b - I was working on Nikyo with a new girl, teaching her how to go down to one knee and to tap out when it hurt. At the end of class, when it was time to shake hands and thank our partners, I approached her, said "thank you" and shook her hand. Then she fell to one knee and tapped out

3c - Fortunately, a lot of the other students think it's funny that I (accidentally) squeeze so hard and sometimes try to squeeze my hand as hard as they can. I just laugh and steadily increase the pressure until they submit

4 - I was once helping a new girl with one of the kokyunage variations and showed her an example of how with the right balance and momentum it's even possible to only use one arm. I didn't anticipate that my example would be THAT helpful, so I wasn't prepared for her next try and she threw me into a heap on the ground

5 - Sometimes I get a charley horse on the bottom of my foot during seiza, so I usually sit cross legged instead, but on a few occasions I've been able to sit in seiza for several minutes while the instructor was speaking. Unfortunately, almost every time my ankles lock in that position and then I'll either jump up quickly and fall right back down or have to stretch my feet back into their standard standing position before I can get up.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #135
Risu

Dojo: Hayward Aikido
United_States

At a fundraiser, the guest sensei called me up for ukemi. I don't remember the technique, but he wanted me to do joudan tsuki (I think it was something about moving off-line). So, I proceeded to punch at his face for a couple of minutes, thinking it weird that he didn't start doing a technique, and, instead, kept entering and turning. I finally realized, when I heard him repeating "holy smokes", that he had told me to attack differently after a few punches. I looked at my sensei, and saw him indicating ryote dori. I, brain-fried, politely asked to sit aside for a bit.

Needless to say, I'm glad that he's good at moving off-line.

Wait, umm... what?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #136
ilia rudnitskiy

Dojo: Saskatoon Aikikai
Canada

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Oh, I was embarassed all right. I had been practicing for 10 years at the time and hadn't "graded" for a number of reasons (changing dojos several times, for one) but the sensei I was asking about borrowing a belt was the shihan for Canadian Aikido Fed. He laughed and handed me the borrowed black belt and said something along the lines of "it's OK, wear it today" when I protested that I was only nikyu and shouldn't be wearing a black belt...
Walter
I'm assuming you're talking about Kawahara Sensei... he's a funny guy... he once gave me a yellow belt (even though we don't do coloured belts here), when I got my gokyu (that he just gave me without testing me). I was 11 or 12 at the time but I still felt weird being the only coloured belt around.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #137
Tatsukage
United_States

So, there I was, one of my first Aikido classes all those moons ago, and I had recently gotten out of the more aggressive martial arts such as JKD, Muay Thai, etc...Well, Sensei was using me for demo for I believe kotegaeshi...well, I was used to anything goes, so out of instinct when I went off to the side, I twisted my body and the next thing I know there's a head atemi to the sensei...needless to say, when I had landed, much pain insued. "Head atemi Mr. Faulkenbury?" *cranks down on wrist, shoulder, and elbow* *taptaptaptap* "We do not allow such things in this dojo Mr. Faulkenbury" *follows with reverse kasegatame* *taptaptap*
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #138
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Red face Re: Aiki Doh's

This happened a week ago Monday and yes, a prospective student was watching the class. The class went without incident, but while I was helping to stack the mats, my pants started to fall down! I caught them at once and even then was thankful I wear briefs. Like I said, only happens with a new person present. I think sensei was talking to them, so maybe nobody noticed, but I still had to come in and humiliate myself.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #139
Daniel Lloyd
Dojo: Nathan Dojo
Australia

Back when I was first starting Aikido, I was in the beginners course doing backward rolls and my pants split - however i didn't find out until i got home the SECOND time this happened. :P Pants split from hip to the back of my knee. LUCKILY my cargo pants had a darker coloured mesh underneath. At least I know where that pleasant breeze was coming from. XD
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #140
Brice Biggerstaff
Dojo: Galveston Aikikai/Texas City, Texas
United_States

My list is long, but I'll offer this one up first. I had been teaching for several years and had a new class group that was coming along very well. We were working on a kokyu-nage from ski-strike, stepping behind and catching the shoulders, stopping them and setting uke down backwards. Not supposed to grab the shoulders, just stop them, but somehow the grab almost always happens.

My uke is a petite, very attractive, oriental lady, intermediate belt, and she goes into the strike well. I move, catch her shoulders, yep catch her shoulders, actually catch the shoulders of her gi... and it comes completely off in my hands! (to this day, I am not sure how this happened). For a fraction of a second, I am standing there with the gi in my hands, like whipping the tablecloth out from under the plates, while she sits down in seeming slow motion, with this puzzled look on her face (and a t-shirt on fortunately), which is nothing compared to the stunned look on my face, I assure you. Then, nearly before she hits the mat, I whip the gi top back around her like a cloak, and step back in utter confusion. The rest of the class (which includes her brothers, sisters, nephew, niece, etc.) all have the same stunned looks on their faces for about 5 seconds while I'm trying to think of something to say and then they just all fall over laughing.

We all recovered, but it was a long time before I could demonstrate that technique without a lot of raised eyebrows and smothered laughter.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #141
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Australia

Cant remember the pin but the 'unsmall' woman I am training with is tapping out. "What's wrong?" I asked, 'I haven't started applying any pressure yet."

"You're kneeling on my breast!"

- "Oh ... really sorry about that!"
Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #142
Walter Martindale
Canada

One for which I paid dearly... not Aiki, though - a Ju-d'oh. As a gokyu practicing for the first time with Doug (godan, olympic silver medalist) Rogers. Somehow, between his throwing me around at will, I took a grip, entered; tsuri-komi-goshi happened, and there's Doug, taking ukemi, laughing all the way down. I never did figure out how I did it, but I sure got some air time after he got back up. Not nasty, just lots of time flying around the dojo.
W
Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #143
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Just found this thread and my d'oh is an admonition to be careful
stepping on the mat if you've been out for years. Schedule
didn't permit me to visit evenings, so there I was as a spectator
at a seminar at the local dojo. You know the spectator helps
with the pix for the group photo? Stepped on the mat with the
dojo's camera, not used to the springy tatami, and fell
backwards into the seating area.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #144
Diana Frese
United_States

By the way, my husband has been taking judo for a couple of
years and he will love post number 142. He's always mentioning
the techniques by name, because I took judo in college and
am sort of familiar with them. He's taking tax class today and
it's a great story to greet him with when he gets back. Thanks
for all your stories, friends, and I will enjoy re reading them at
leisure.....
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #145
Lari Hammarberg
Dojo: Aikidoseura Asahi Lappeenranta Finland
Finland

Ok, here's some recent ones... All this in latest class.

First of all, i was late... I was changing my practice clothes on(I don't have a gi yet.) and in my haste managed to split my pants. Not totally but enough to be noticeable. My foot stuck and ripped though.. Well, no other choise than put the broken pants on and head to the mat.

When i entered the dojo, i see we have Shodan there, haven't seen him before it... And i'm late.. Well, i humbly bowed, apologised for being late and our shodan guided me to do some streches and then join the practice.

We were doing Ikkyo for the whole class, many different techniues, stuff which have ikkyo done one way or another. I started the technique showed with the only woman in our dojo, nice girl and rather good to do techniques.. Well, she throws me and i just though that hopefully my already broken pants hold in one piece.. She throws me, i land to the mat with reasonable good ukemi. And when i got up... *Screech* goes my pants. Damn i was embarrased for a moment. You can guess how the girl laughed and giggled. Well i laughed too and told her i already broke my pants before the class so i dont have much to loose.

Then later in the class, our shodan came to correct my partner and proceeded to show the technique with me as his uke. And this shodan is a MMA/Karate/Judo guy outside Aikido and he has the "true budo spirit" so to speak. When he shows techniqued, he doesnt warn when he starts. Two times he almost hit me in the face because i didnt expect so sudden move. On the second time he grabbed my hand and put it where it supposed to be. Then i got his game and readied myself. I managed to catch up with him, he does the technique and it hurt like hell, OUUUCH! with highest pitch i can produce.

Hehe, it was fun anyway. I wasn't the only one who squeecked in his hands. I mean this shodan really knows his technique.. Good, professional teacher. Looks like a i-take-no-shit-from-anyone, but he's really nice bloke. Has a good attitude and really is worth his salt in dojo.

I'll tell you more Aikidoh's as things develop.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #146
Diana Frese
United_States

About post 142, thanks Walter. My husband got a great laugh out of it when I just told him. I know it's days later, but he's been using the computer to study for and take a job related on line test.

We've got a New England blizzard here so great timing he had just come in from dealing with the fireplace ....

Lari, pants often rip, especially after being washed so many times, but you didn't let it deter you from training. Speaking of pain, I seem to remember a kind of yonkyo club where our senpai gave us some purple bruises which we probably accepted knowing we would learn to do yonkyo properly to others.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #147
Lari Hammarberg
Dojo: Aikidoseura Asahi Lappeenranta Finland
Finland

Haha, i have a new one...

Today before our class, there was a Hokuto Ryu JuJutsu demonstration in the dojo, they have beginners class to start soon, my friend is going to join their dojo and we went to watch the demo...

After the demo i went to dojo with my friend, there was one Nidan doing some after stretching there and he let us in.. Then he left, me and my friend left there to wait for my Aikibuddies. There was some Jo's in the corner so i thought i will warm up and try some jo stuff...

So i did some ukemi, Katas and general playing around with the jo. Ofcourse i did loud Kiai's and lot of movement, free practice.. Then the clock ticked and ticked, it was five past eight, i started to wonder where are my friends.. Then i heard some talk behind the dojo door, opened it, and there were my friends and our shodan humbly waiting for jujutsu class to end. How embarrasing, they really thought there was more people there on their class. You can imagine their laugh when they realised it was just me practicing and shouting loud Kiai's as i went on... Hehe, goo that i didnt wait ten more minutes.

Its ironic, at the same time i was embarrased to have them wait outside and felt good that my practicing sounded like several people.

Haha, funny and embarrasing moments seem to just follow where ever Aikido goes. At least when i'm in the dojo...

Well, we had a good class and i was already warmed up from start.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #148
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

accidentally kicked the tori when taking ukemi after he did kotegaeshi on me.. he's my kohai but he's still older than i am. hopefully he's not taking it personally

belched instead of counting one of the numbers when leading the warm ups.. they didn't seem to notice but I'm so ashamed.. >.<
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #149
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Blush! Re: Aiki Doh's

I'm mortified to share this , but as it was witnessed by a hundred or so people, and probably preserved for all time on a professional-quality video, I might as well. And it really does belong here.

So anyway... I was at a big seminar recently. One of the shihan (you all know him) was teaching. Everyone seated in seiza in a kind of rough semi-circle around him. At some point I noticed that I was sort of inside the middle area of the circle instead of around the edge. Just as he was making some deep and thoughtful point about connection, or world peace, or something equally important and significant, and a total and reverent silence had enveloped the large dojo, I tried to quietly slide back a couple of feet.

And farted.

And not in a subtle sort of way, either.

It's a lucky thing for me that no one so much as snickered or coughed, because I think I would have (in spite of my utter humiliation) died laughing at the absurdity of my bad timing.

I think I'll go crawl under a rock now...

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #150
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Awww.... Linda, it happens. When it happens in our dojo, it is often treated as if it didn't even happen. Though, sometimes I am am dying of laughter on the inside!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.