Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #26
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Sam,
Whether girls fight on the playground or not is somewhat dependent upon the community. In some places it is very common and in others infrequent. Your question is like asking how much a car costs. What is it like where you live?

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
JoelLM
Canada

Heck no! I have a friend who is a girl who took Judo for most of her childhood up until her late teens... I dont envy her boy friend. She really enjoyed it, she stopped because of life, ie college.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Sam Leung wrote: View Post
Would you make a different recommendation, if the kid is a girl?
No.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
Chris Raihl

United_States

I am in the same boat as the OP.

The issue about hands on parenting, hands off parenting, was it helpful was it not to me is not what the OP is asking. I think we understand that Bully is a psychological issue that takes its toll on children who's goal's are often just to fit in. This is where martial arts do help. It does help with strengthening the character of a person through age old teaching of respect, from bowing into class and bowing out of class. No it does not replace "good parenting" but that is not the issue. Bullying today takes a lot different forms than just the physical bullying behind the garden shed. Kids today have to deal with bullying online, Facebook and other social media tools. This is where the strength of character comes in and outside the home not many places teaches kids about these values except a good Dojo imho.

I did Judo as a kid. Growing up in the UK our school even had a Judo team which I was very happy to be part off. Having said that I did not have the pressures that kids go to today and I cannot comment from chapter 7 of my life on what has worked for me and what has not.

I do believe a good Dojo, any Dojo works well depending on how it is presented and how it is taught. I *personally* believe that Judo is a fine martial art that combines traditional values and respect with the need to get rough ad tumbled. YMMV

PS - Long time member - though I do not practice Aikido anymore as I have moved away and the nearest club to me is a well awarded BJJ club. I still believe Aikido principles work not just for Aikido, which is why I am often a lurker here.

Last edited by Chris Raihl : 04-29-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Respectfully

Chris

Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #30
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Aikido Of Benton County Richland, Wa.
United_States

I'd recommend judo hands down. Both my sons do judo and has helped them tremendously. My oldest also does aikido but he started with judo which gave him good ukemi skills and a base for other things that translated well into aikido. As for dealing with bullies, I may be the odd ball, I think martial arts do help prevent bullying. The bully seeks out the weak, if you show your not a victim by defending yourself successfully they will move on.....usually. My humble opinions.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #31
Richard Stevens
United_States

As soon as my son turned 5 we enrolled him in Judo at Mudokwan here in Indianapolis. The instructor is amazing with kids and we've been thrilled with the program and rarely miss a class. My son is completely non-aggressive (gentle soul) and Judo allows him to essentially "play" while improving his ability to handle himself physically. It has increased his focus and confidence drastically. He has had issues with hypotonia and the instructor has made it a point to work on his posture and movement. Now he sits in seiza perfectly and his posture has drastically improved. The ability to "fall" correctly is also a big benefit. ]
Old 05-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #32
dps

Martial arts is one of many tools that can be used to stop bullying.
Programs to stop bullying for all their all good intentions are more for projecting a good image to the public and making school administrators feel good.
Stopping bullies occurs on the level it is happening at.

Kudos to the friends who helped Geoffrey out.
dps
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #33
thaumadzomen
Belgium

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Some of them are into it, for a time at least. But they're kids. How many of them have the capability of developing effective fighting techniques? And, in the extremely unlikely case that a kid does so, (...)
well, I'm doing aikido for about 6 years, and I'am 14, you also said that most of the kids stop with aikido after a few months or so, well I am the living prove that what you said is wrong, so is about 1/4th of my dojo.

You also said that kids hardly can use the skills that they learned. I'm not sure (never needed to use it) but I think I could use some of the techniques that I have learned.

however I also see a lot of kids (6-8y old) aren't trying to learn aikido, and they are disturbing the discipline that we try to keep.

I am sometimes bullied at school but never seriously and I can always stop the bullying.
sorry for the writing mistakes but as I already said I am only 14 and raised dutch.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #34
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

[quote=
sorry for the writing mistakes but as I already said I am only 14 and raised dutch.[/QUOTE]

Love it......Your message comes across loud and clear!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
thaumadzomen
Belgium

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Love it......Your message comes across loud and clear!
thank you

@mary malmros: the only thing I think is Bert hard for kids are the name of the techniques. it took me years to learn and understand what the teacher was saying

so according to what I just said. does anyone has a list with the names of the techniques? could be very helpful to me.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #36
dps

Quote:
Andreas Huysman wrote: View Post
thank you

@mary malmros: the only thing I think is Bert hard for kids are the name of the techniques. it took me years to learn and understand what the teacher was saying

so according to what I just said. does anyone has a list with the names of the techniques? could be very helpful to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido_techniques

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2990
post #12

dps

Last edited by dps : 05-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #37
dps

Quote:
thank you

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2990
Post # 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido_techniques

dps
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #38
lbb
United_States

Quote:
well, I'm doing aikido for about 6 years, and I'am 14, you also said that most of the kids stop with aikido after a few months or so, well I am the living prove that what you said is wrong, so is about 1/4th of my dojo.
You aren't. You are one person, and you aren't "most". Nor is 1/4th of your dojo "most".

Quote:
however I also see a lot of kids (6-8y old) aren't trying to learn aikido, and they are disturbing the discipline that we try to keep.
Are you still sure that I'm wrong?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I did Judo as a kid and learned nothing, nor have I ever seen Judo kids with much skill. At the time, of course, both myself and my parents probably thought I was learning a lot. Most Aikido kids learn nothing but wishy washy waza - except in Yoshinkan where the techniques are taught in incredible detail. I have seen more than a few great kids` Karate classes. They probably couldn`t defend themselves either but they learn to stand in a straight line, they learn precise coordinated movement and I`d say they learn more in terms of etiquette than in most other dojos etc. I think that is more important for kids. Just from what I have seen.

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 05-27-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #40
thaumadzomen
Belgium

I'm sorry Mary, but when I red your post that most kids didn't learned anything from aikido it semed like you said that kids can't do aikido at all. My fault
When I started with aikido I didn't learned much but I did learn to have respect like you said, Ruperd.

But some of those kids that are disturbing the lesson are a little forced by their mom, she uses the dojo as some sort of kindergarten.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #41
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I'm sorry Mary, but when I red your post that most kids didn't learned anything from aikido it semed like you said that kids can't do aikido at all. My fault
When I started with aikido I didn't learned much but I did learn to have respect like you said, Ruperd.

But some of those kids that are disturbing the lesson are a little forced by their mom, she uses the dojo as some sort of kindergarten.
I guess it's good to know that this happens in other countries too It's not good that it happens, of course, but I'm not sure what can be done about it.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #42
thaumadzomen
Belgium

Me neither :/
I have no idea how I'l handle them Saturday, when I have to teach them.
Do you give aikido lessons Mary? To kids?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Me neither :/
I have no idea how I'l handle them Saturday, when I have to teach them.
Do you give aikido lessons Mary? To kids?
No. I teach when I have to (i.e., senseis can't be there), but otherwise I don't teach.

I used to be a ski instructor, for children aged 4 to 6. I have a lot of experience and also formal coaching training from that. On this forum, we often see people who are new to teaching ask for tips. These are helpful, but limited, because you simply can't communicate the knowledge of an experienced teacher as a series of tips. As general advice, I think I would say that the best classes are created by "listening" rather than by "talking". What I mean by that, is that often novice teachers create their lesson plan -- and it can be a great lesson plan -- and then stubbornly teach that lesson, no matter what. Maybe the students aren't ready for that particular lesson, or maybe today's not the right day for it. Maybe they're not ready to learn it the way your plan is teaching it. It's always good to have some idea of what you want to teach...but you have to be ready to abandon it instantly if it turns out to not be the best lesson to teach today. It's the difference between writing a prepared speech and standing up and delivering it, and having a conversation. There's nothing wrong with giving a speech or a lecture, but if your success is measured by the response you get, there needs to be some "conversational" element.

Here are a few questions for you, Andreas. You're teaching these kids on Saturday -- what do YOU think they need to work on? Don't make a big list, just ask yourself: if there was ONE fairly small thing that you could get these kids to improve, what would it be? Is this something that all the kids need to work on, or just some? Are they at different levels?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #44
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Quote:
I know this must have been discussed in various shapes and forms, but I still want to ask for advice.

- Which is effective to fend off school bullies yet does not get your kid into trouble (i.e. excessive force or injuring other kids severely)

- What is the appropriate age to start training without interfering children's physical development (I know some Kung Fu stance work is not good for childen's leg)

Thank you in advance!
I recommend judo, if you have a good, reputable school. Following that, karate with same requirements. I generally recommend sticking to the same culture if you intend to roll into aikido...

Bullying is a bigger problem. You need to check with your school's policy for disciplinary action. Right now, public schools tend toward a "everyone gets in trouble" mentality, diverging your interest as a parent to protect your child from the school's interest in protecting itself (legally). Physical defense is going to be something you and your child discuss given the school's preventive and intervention policies. Likely, if you child is in a fight she will be faced with a period of time defending herself while waiting for school authorities to intervene. I prefer wrestling-oriented tactics for delay defense, but those tactics may not appropriate in some schools; fights in my high school, for example, could consist of knife play.

Tumbling and body skills are great at any age. I am not a huge fan of joint locks (chokes, too) and pressure points fighting for children. Lifting weights and conditioning muscles can have an adverse effect on children's bones and muscles. If the martial art has significant conditioning requirement, wait a little while. Usually, cognitive skills help with this decision because children will simply have difficulty "getting it" until they learn better focus anyway. Usually, there is a switch in the 5-7 yo range.

For many children, martial arts are an athletic activity, not a study. Possibly, martial arts are a daycare activity for parents, as well. I think sometimes we project our expectations on children which is a problem. In the younger ages you are generally working within the confines of a cognitive and mental focus of a ferret. If you expect a 5 year old to observe the same focus and attention as a 7 year old, you are in for a difficult time. Sometimes, children's classes are about managing your expectations, not their performance.

Jon Reading
Old 05-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #45
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I said that Karate is probably best for kids. Someone sent me this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlU...&feature=share

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 05-29-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:06 AM   #46
dps

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post

God help the little boys who try to bully her. Just the kia alone would make them soil their pants.

dps
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #47
thaumadzomen
Belgium

oh my god that is crazy! she is so young and already a black belt. how irresponsible to let her train so much so young
Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #48
lbb
United_States

Quote:
oh my god that is crazy! she is so young and already a black belt. how irresponsible to let her train so much so young
That's a very good kanku dai. If she's that good, it's not because some adult is standing over her and forcing her to train, train, train -- you simply can't force that level of skill, and particularly not from a child.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #49
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That's a very good kanku dai. If she's that good, it's not because some adult is standing over her and forcing her to train, train, train -- you simply can't force that level of skill, and particularly not from a child.
Fantastic changes in speed - beautiful form. I agree completely that child was inspired by something far more powerful than someone else's ambition.

Not too bothered about the black belt either - it is clear she has a good understanding of what is happening and can certainly deliver. She will probably have to retest when she's reached a certain age.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #50
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post

holy mother of god! i think i soiled my shorts. on my best day, i couldn't do that kata half as good as that little girl.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org