Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-19-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
martywalker
United_States
leather wrist guards

where can I find leather wrist guards to prevent injury from moves where the wrist is twisted or pressure points on the forearm are used.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: leather wrist guards

It's called stretching...
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

A long, soft wristband will help with the pressure points and strong grips. Leather might cut your skin...an ace bandage or more flexible material would probably be more comfortable.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Invest in sports tape if you have an injury; if people are cranking your wrists too hard ask them to lighten up a bit until your wrists get stronger; it's both smart and good ukemi
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Talking Re: leather wrist guards

The anti-yonkyo:

and more
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Demetrio, I hesitate to ask, but what were you doing at that web-site? Anyway, wouldn't a more aiki-style wrist guard increase the yonkyo pain as you should be agreeing with your partners opinion?

Marty, joking aside, unless you have a current injury, don't use anything as overuse of any support will lead to a tendency to weaken the part supported (if that makes sense?)
Old 08-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
martywalker
United_States

thanks for the responses. The link to the leather site was helpful. I will have to get them to customize a no frills one. I understand the point about relying on support makes the area weaker. I had a lingering injury that took months to heal. I don't speak Japanese, but will try to describe. It was the cross lapel grab peel off. I did not fully get the go with the opponent's move concept at the time and tried to resist. The move that causes me the most problem is the first come along I learned. Not the goose neck one , but the one where you turn the pinky side of the guys wrist in towards his ribcage making his elbow point out in front of his body. When I am uke the front spin of this move doesn't bother me, its the transition where they change direction and throw you backwards. This puts a lot of strain on my wrist. The more advanced guys lighten up a little on this part because they already know how to do it right, but when working with someone learning the move you want them to get the pressure right and after several repititions my wrists are really sore. I wouldn't wear the wrist guards all the time, only when doing moves that specifically target this area.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Marty:

I have occasional problems with my wrists as a result of arthritis and some nerve damage which has caused a carpal tunnel type problem, so when it is acting u I wear a soft brace which is made by sport aid in kansas. It works well for nikkyo and koteoroshi (kotegaeshi), but doesn't go far enough for yonkyo (although, if someone is experienced enough to do a good yonkyo, they should have enough control to avoid hurting you, unless they are malicious!) I only wear them when I absolutely have to. I am usually fine.

e ya later
Jill.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

If you have a problem, tape your wrists until they heal, and then continue to tape them until you forget why you are taping them. In the meantime, take some anti inflammatories, take care of your wrists, and HEAL thyself.

If it's trashed, a proper taping is really the only good solution -- the elastic jobbies "support" but are really too flexible to prevent you from getting re-injured. Look around at all the "old guys" on the mat, including the shihans -- if they've trashed their wrists, they use good old surgical tape, possibly with an underwrap -- I don't think I've seen many with elastic bandages wrapped around, unless they taped over them, too.

Also, ask someone who knows how, to show you the proper way to tape, and have them explain it to you... there's more to it than just putting it on until you can't move the joints well. Good Luck!

PS - been there, done that, tried the elastic and it SUCKED. I'd rather cut off tape than deal with a stinky, stretchy, unhygienic overused elastic bandage. And the underwrap saves those little hairs that otherwise HURT when you rip off the tape.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
Hanna B
Sweden

All kinds of protection for joints of various kinds exist. What I've seen people use was bought at a shop that sold equipment for protecting sports injuries, of all kinds. Rehband is a German brand, I am sure there are many American ones as well. I have seen no leather (wouldn't that become sweaty and pretty and disgusting after a while?) but syntetic materials, cloth with harder plastic parts where needed. Some have straps that are in the way though, one need to check that it works for the aikido training.