Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #26
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido does not work against dogs!!

you do all realise what your saying is wrong ... in many many ways!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #27
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Old 07-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #28
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Emma Mason wrote:
you do all realise what your saying is wrong ... in many many ways!
and Emma should know.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #29
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Dogs respond to attitude.

This is important to remember!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 AM   #30
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

actually, nikyo works on my dog really well as does ear-riminage! she's a springer spaniel and she does a full flip landing on her feet again with this technique (the only problem is that she attacks again before I can get get ready, which results in her doing slobbernage on me!) very wet and messy

Last edited by Lee Mulgrew : 07-06-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #31
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Mike Riehle
Quote:
Dogs respond to attitude. this is important to remember
(Has scars to prove it)

david
Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #32
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Drew Nichols wrote:
BJJ is superior when facing non-human opponents. If you had to fight a dog, aikido would not work because you couldn't grab the dogs wrist as easy due to their height.
However, it is easy for another dog to grab a dog by their "wrist."

I watched my Springer Spaniel male do a kotegaeshi on a Doberman once. A nasty Doberman entered the kennel of our Springers, one male, one female. They ran around it until the female nipped the Doberman in its haunches. As the Doberman wheeled around, the male dove under the Doberman while grabbing the forepaw on the other side of the Doberman and continued to roll. The Doberman flipped over the male Springer as I heard the bones snapping in its foreleg. The Doberman was down on the ground on its back with the male on its thoat and the female clamping on to its haunches before I made it into the kennel. I called the Springers off before I went to the Doberman which was half unconcious. It didn't even growl at me when I picked it up and carried back to the neighbor's house. I warned them that I wouldn't stop the dogs next time the Doberman came over into our yard, then apologized for the broken leg. The Doberman survived but it never left its yard again. It used to attack letter carriers and other people but it seems the beating cured it of its aggressiveness. It never really regained the full use of its foreleg either. Too bad. It was a nice looking dog. Just stupid and too aggressive before the beating. I later heard that the Doberman nipped the neighbor's nephew and the neighbor shot the dog. I guess that neighbor really never should have owned a dog (dogs seem to reflect the personality of the owner).

Another dog I owned did a really great randori against three larger dogs once and another one did a kokyu-nage against a larger dog that was beautiful. I will leave those stories for another time.

Yes, I do practice Aikido with my dogs, throwing them around with iriminage and kokyu nage. It is great practice for Suwari-waza.

Rock
Old 07-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #33
cguzik

I had a dog (a boxer I think it was) going for my arm one time and using a kokyu nage motion to lead its energy, caused it to flip itself head over tail onto its back. It looked very surprised. Dogs are great to observe from the standpoint of studying balance because they have four points of contact with the ground, not just two as we do.

Cesar Millan is an expert at dog aikido. He is very good at leading a dog's energy such that he is unattackable from the first encounter. He takes the dog's psychological balance with his calm assertive energy and never gives it back. It's a truly amazing thing to watch.

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/dog-whisperer.php
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #34
David Paul
United_States

whats up with people fighting dogs? Cookies or perhaps sliced up hot dogs or even peanut butter work really well against dogs.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #35
Alexander Lee
Dojo: Winchester Tomiki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

When I was bored I decided I would annoy the neighbour's dog and practiced evasion and breakfalls from an agressive opponent.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #36
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

Yonkyo to the snout.

Aikido won't work against cats, as they are too selfish and just absorb all the energy of the universe.