Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
titova
France
Where to study aikido in the US?

Hi,
Am wondering whether anybody out there can help us. My husband is very keen to travel to the US to study aikido intensively for 3 months. We live in France and are prepared to spend 3 months anywhere in the US, although Florida in winter would probably be our first preference. Does anybody know any dojos with highly qualified instructors where he could train for a few hours every day? We checked out the classes at a dojo in Sarasota, Florida, but it seems there is only a class in the early morning and then another one in the evening and he would like to do a bit more than that.
Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Ingrid
Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
crbateman

Re: Where to study aikido in the US?

In Florida, not many dojos are morning-to-night, 7-days/week, as most instructors hold down conventional full-time jobs. You might look north of Sarasota, in the St. Petersburg (Largo) area, for the Jihonjuku dojo (an ASU affiliate). I believe they have training 7 days, with two days mornings-only, three days evenings-only, and two days morning/evening. That's about as full a schedule as you're going to see. If you come to Orlando, there are several different dojos of varied affiliation, and perhaps you could visit two or three of them in the same week for a fuller schedule, and more variety. In Orlando, check out Shindai, Tenshinkai, Kodokai, Shoshin and Seizan dojos. The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area also has many dojos, so you could probably do something similar there.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

In the Fort Lauderdale area there is our dojo, Florida Aikikai, www.floridaaikikai, and Aikido of South Florida which is Stephanie Yap's dojo. At Florida Aikikai, we offer class three times a day (one early morning, then late morning, then evening) from Monday through Friday. And then we have two classes on Saturday and Sunday, and the second class on Sunday typically runs two hours. We welcome visitors of any affiliation.

In the Miami area there are a variety of Aikido dojos, but I don't know how many have full time classes. Many offer only a limited number of clases. I believe Gold Coast Aikikai offers the most. I think they have classes every day except on Sundays.

If you want to get a listing of all the dojo in Florida go to the AikiWeb search engine and just type in Florida, USA.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 06-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
Hanna B
Sweden

What kind of aikido has he been doing in France - Tissier line, Tamura line or something else? Really I think line of aikido and a good teacher should be the number one priorites. He probably does not want to find that the new teacher thinks all his foot positions etc. are all wrong.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
crbateman

Hanna, sometimes a contrasting perspective is the very reason one might visit a dojo different than his own (I know that's one reason I do). Most instructors are reasonable in that they recognize that you are of a different background, and they're probably just as curious about the way you were taught. Although you are right that it is a bummer when you run into a particularly judgmental or derisive instructor.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Hanna B
Sweden

Clark, you are right. However, if I wanted to do that I would still choose what line of aikido I would immerse myself in for a period of time, not just pick a school and a schedule. Of course one often only knows about the lines of aikido that exists in ones own neighbouthood/state/country, and then most stuff abroad might be lines of aikido one has no clue about anyway. Some people might not even be aware that there are lines of aikido even within the Aikikai with technically and pedagogically very distinct features...

In the Saito line of aikido, I know many people who speak highly of Pat Hendricks and her dojo in San Leandro, California. People from Sweden in the Iwama-line have been there as uchideshi and taken dan ranks for her. The dojo taking uchideshi, it should probably be big enough to offer enough classes for Ingrid's husband. I would not want to recommend Hendricks to a Tissier stylist without discussing the aspect of stylistic differences, though.

Last edited by Hanna B : 06-07-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
Dennis Good
United_States

Well its not Florida but it does have a full class schedule. http://www.aikido-shobukan.org/ It is in Washington DC. Saotome Sensei teaches many seminars throughout the year. They are listed on the website. If you match your trip with some seminars, that would be a great bonus. He also lives there throughout the year so it is possible to have a drop in surprise visit.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
NagaBaba

Quote:
Ingrid Titova wrote:
Hi,
Am wondering whether anybody out there can help us. My husband is very keen to travel to the US to study aikido intensively for 3 months. We live in France and are prepared to spend 3 months anywhere in the US, although Florida in winter would probably be our first preference. Does anybody know any dojos with highly qualified instructors where he could train for a few hours every day? We checked out the classes at a dojo in Sarasota, Florida, but it seems there is only a class in the early morning and then another one in the evening and he would like to do a bit more than that.
Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Ingrid
Don't go to Florida, one can't really train hard down there

In US I'l recommend NEAikikai in Boston, NYAikikai in New York(Yamada sensei) or San Diego Aikikai(Chiba sensei). In those dojo you will get really intensive training all day long.They have uchideshi programs, intensive weapons programs and tons of black belts in every class.
Shibata sensei dojo in Berkeley is very good too, but I heard that he is moving to another state?

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

Since when does NEA have an uchideshi program? Kanai Sensei didn't have anything like that when I was around, or for quite a few years before that, and I would be surprised if things had changed. I'm not sure I'd call the weapons program there intensive, either, but they do have iaido.

If you want sunshine, warm weather, and intensity, I'd go for Chiba Sensei's dojo in San Diego, but I also think that Florida Aikikai would be a good place to spend a couple of months training.

(Ingrid -- check your PM)

--Amelia

Last edited by Amelia Smith : 06-07-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
NagaBaba

Quote:
Amelia Smith wrote:
Since when does NEA have an uchideshi program? Kanai Sensei didn't have anything like that when I was around, or for quite a few years before that, and I would be surprised if things had changed. I'm not sure I'd call the weapons program there intensive, either, but they do have iaido.

--Amelia
I was talking in general for all those 3 dojo, you are right, in NEAikikai they have not uchideshi program.

Nagababa

Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
crbateman

I can attest also to the quality of the schools in California (I just am more familiar with Florida, and since Ingrid mentioned Sarasota first, that's where I went). I have been to Chiba Sensei's school in San Diego, and would recommend it highly. Also, moving up the coast to Westminster (in the O.C.) will afford the opportunity to train at Dang Thong Phong's dojo, which has an expanded schedule and great instruction. I have trained with Pat Hendricks Sensei at the Aiki Expos, and think she is superb. LOTS of good stuff in California... Maybe go on a three month "tour" and experience several? Also, if you can brave the winter weather in the Seattle area, there is much good Aikido there, beginning with George Ledyard Sensei, who is most insightful. If you are "touring" out west, maybe a trip to Boulder/Denver would be in order. Gaku Homma Sensei and Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei both have schools there, and if you really want to get some perspective, there are a couple of strong Ki Society dojos in that area as well. Just about any serious student, regardless of current style, could benefit from training in any of the above areas/schools. Much will depend on whether you are wanting to "push the envelope" of your own Aikido, or stick to a more familiar or comfortable training regimen. Just enjoy the trip.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
giriasis
United_States

In Florida, you have mainly Aikikai schools. Even the independent schools are Aikikai backgrounds, but the shihan are different. In Central and Wet Florida you get a stronger influence of Saotome Sensei in South Florida the Yamada/Kanai/Chiba affiliates have a strong influence with schools in our area. They are all strong schools -- ASU or USAF.

I know a visitor will be treated very well in our dojo regardless of style. We've had folks visit for more than a month from South Korea, Japan, Brazil, Colombia (throughout Latin America really), Sweden, France (a Michel Becart student) visit for months at a time. We currently have a student in Paris. She has visited both Tissier and Michel Becart's schools. She enjoyed them both! As a side note, we don't force people to conform to one particular way of doing things although Peter might want you to try out what he's teaching. We are very used to visitors coming and joining us on the mat.

Quote:
Don't go to Florida, one can't really train hard down there
Do I detect some New York Aikikai/Florida Aikikai rivalry here? Please feel free to come visit us down here if you can manage to get away from all the great aikido up North, since things are sooooo much better up North I'll let sensei know that you don't think we train hard enough. Then you can take ukemi for him. hehehe. And I promise to attack you hard.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
NagaBaba

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Do I detect some New York Aikikai/Florida Aikikai rivalry here? Please feel free to come visit us down here if you can manage to get away from all the great aikido up North, since things are sooooo much better up North I'll let sensei know that you don't think we train hard enough. Then you can take ukemi for him. hehehe. And I promise to attack you hard.
Actually I don't practice in NYAikikai Also in aikido there isn't any competition, so rivality is not possible to detect

But Peter is coming to the North to teach seminar in september I think, so I'll have wonderful opportunity to feel his deadly power. Come with him, it will be realy fun to practice real aikido together.

Nagababa

Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #14
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Actually I don't practice in NYAikikai Also in aikido there isn't any competition, so rivality is not possible to detect

But Peter is coming to the North to teach seminar in september I think, so I'll have wonderful opportunity to feel his deadly power. Come with him, it will be realy fun to practice real aikido together.
I won't be able to make it up this year. I went to the Chicago earlier this year and two trips are not in my budget. And, if I could travel I'd make up to Summer Camp, first. Maybe you'll make it down for "Winter" Camp and you could join in the sauna training with the rest of us.

Which, btw is in Fort Lauderdale which is a great place to train in Florida. (trying to keep this on topic...stay on target...oops..I mean "topic.")

Anne Marie Giri
Old 06-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Should really mention the San Fransisco Bay Area which has a great concentration of quality dojos. If you want something a bit different I'd recommend here. Nice area and people too in my experience.

Chicago also has some great places where you can train several times a day.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #16
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

I'd recommend San Francisco area, I was able to go 5 classes in a day at 5 different dojo. Early morning, mid-morning, lunch, afternoon and evening.

keeping it up for 3 months ? maybe not, but a lot good places to train with varied schedules within reasonable distance. Fun place to visit too.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #17
titova
France

Sorry everybody for not replying earlier. You really have given me fantastic advice - thank you very, very much.
Ingrid