Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #26
Camille Lore
Dojo: Lehigh Fukasakai
United_States
Re: Aikido With A Dog

Ok.. who's obsessed with Aikido now
Old 09-08-2005, 06:20 AM   #27
Tony Hudspith
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee
United Kingdom

Hi everyone
As a postie here in England and a 3rd Dan I feel I have enough experience to tell you the best technique for dog attacks. It isn't nikyo, irimi nage or anything like that it's..........................
Ruuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

Tony
Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #28
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia

In order to clarify about the Aikido technique Tony has told us, you have to do just to simple movements:

1. Tenkan
2. Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi, Irimi, irimi, irimi,......

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 09-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #29
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

A quick yonkyo on my german shepherd's nose made her let go of my hand pretty fast.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #30
Kutisake
Dojo: iwama riu-Ivanovo
Russian Federation

I'm sorry for your dog...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #31
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Helen Lykashova wrote:
I'm sorry for your dog...
She's okay. She got a little excited about a toy I was holding, so excited that words weren't having any effect! The yonkyo only hurt her for a moment, and we were friends again in short order.

I'm pretty sure she forgot about it long before I stopped bleeding.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #32
Mark Gibbons
United_States

I've had some aikido with dog experiences lately. I've been riding by on my bike and been charged by the same beast (think Toto in wiz of oz) 4 times over the last 2 months. The owner (taking dog for a walk) just refuses to use the leash. The first three times I made sure to get the dog between me and the curb protecting it from ongoing traffic. Pre-aikido my normal impulse would have been to position so as to push the monster into the oncoming traffic (I have a long mutual dislike relationship with canines, mostly involving me bleeding and limping). The fourth time the owner and dog were across the street, dog sees me and comes across the road directly at me. Dog doesn't see truck. But got very lucky, the truck missed by an inch or so. Its a somewhat interesting problem in connection trying to get a dog from your outside where its likely to die back to the inside without really being able to see it. I have no idea how to protect a totally suicidal dog-uke. : )

Mark
Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #33
rogueenergy
Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States

Quote:
Tony Hudspith wrote:
Hi everyone
As a postie here in England and a 3rd Dan I feel I have enough experience to tell you the best technique for dog attacks. It isn't nikyo, irimi nage or anything like that it's..........................

Tony
that's the worst technique imaginable.

You need to make yourself small and stay put. If it comes within what you feel is a comfortable ma'ai irimi, go for the throat and take it down. Just make sure you don't let go. Let your hand slide up to the jaw bones and you and the dog will be safe. Even a large dog will go down if you get under it's center.

I play with my dog a lot and as long as I position myself to get under her center I get the upper hand. If not, I usually end up taking a fall.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #34
dyffcult
United_States

Ian....you need to specify "miniature" poodles. Have you ever seen the size of a standard poodle? Not only are they considered one of the most intelligent breeds around, but they are considered excellent guard dogs. (though not genetically agressive).

Tony... never run from a dog....unless there is a tree in the imediate vicinity and you know how to climb it....otherwise, to a dog a runner is prey and it will give chase. Larger dogs will always be able to outrun you :-)

Ive used aikido on Buddy (70 pounds of sharpei, german shepard, pitt and rodeshian mix) in play, including the holding lower jaw-grabbing tongue thingy. However, I taught him as a puppy that I am alpha and he will cease and desist when I so say. He always has. (By the way, he scares the sh*t out of everyone, but he really is a lover:-)

Brenda

Brenda
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #35
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

You Are Alll Very Very Very Very Very Very Wrong!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:24 AM   #36
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tony Hudspith wrote:
Hi everyone

Tony
Tony Sensei! I am shocked! "Blackbelts don't feel pain". I am also bringing Pebble to Monday's class!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 AM   #37
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Lee Mulgrew wrote:
Tony Sensei! I am shocked! "Blackbelts don't feel pain". I am also bringing Pebble to Monday's class!
I have a cat called Pebbles (sorry if the cat thing is a bit off topic here, but her attacks can be very painful indeed) and the best thing to do when she attacks is to relax (seriously!) Makes me think of keiko every time
Old 09-23-2005, 03:37 AM   #38
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
I have a cat called Pebbles (sorry if the cat thing is a bit off topic here, but her attacks can be very painful indeed) and the best thing to do when she attacks is to relax (seriously!) Makes me think of keiko every time
Ihave the same problem with an evil genius cat called Mr Lao (no, really, he's bond villain standard!). They stop because they think they finally succeeded in killing you!
Dog seems to have the same trouble with him (see Animals can do Aikido too!!! thread)

Last edited by Lee Mulgrew : 09-23-2005 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:35 AM   #39
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Lee Mulgrew wrote:
They stop because they think they finally succeeded in killing you!
Aaahhh, thanks for clearing that up! So, it is a zombie feeding them every day, then?