Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #26
Michael Neal
Smile Re: Lightning Bolt, Steven Seagal and Aikido

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Don't you mean 'Kiai-Golf' TM?

http://www.kiaigolf.com/

Best,
Ron
OH MY GOD! Not that again I had almost completely washed that from my brain.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #27
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States
Re: Lightning Bolt, Steven Seagal and Aikido

Quote:
As far as rappers coming out with energy drinks...I wouldn't compare Take Sensei to them. The rapper's just promote the drink as their own but they really had nothing to do with the creation of it...I mean...c'mon!!?!? Fat Joe!?!?!? Yeah...he really made an energy drink alright! lolol! At least Take Sensei is quite knowledgeable in Oriental medicine and herbs...so...it's quite believable that his drink would be a bit more natural and better than the others, you know what I mean? You just have to try it out when it comes out. I know I definitely will!
I'll pass on trying the drink I don't consume energy drinks. I think they treat symptoms of a larger problem. If people are that damned tired try looking at your health. Something is obviously wrong if you need a drink to give you energy. I know some people really like those things, so I'll ask them what they think once they try it. As far as comparing him to the fore mentioned rappers I don't know him or any of the other people I mentioned in my previous post. It was meant to be funny, not taken so seriously. I have no opinion about him personally one way or the other. You obviously know and respect him that's great!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #28
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

Oh! I'm sorry for taking it seriously...sometimes things get screwed over when they're written online...I prefer talking in person to people so that they understand me in the proper context, you know? As far as energy drinks...I don't drink them unless I didn't get enough sleep the night before, you know? I'm in pretty good shape and constantly work out and I have a tremendous amount of energy. So...I don't really "need" and energy drink, you know? So...I agree with you there on what you had to say concerning people and their lack of energy, lol!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 AM   #29
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

i think this drink/deal promotional thing is only availiable in what america?
i know ihave never heard of it here in australia
other wise i would consider the drink only because i want that dvd lol...im having to get one of ebay.
well...its good for the sport it gets ppl into aikido..like it or not for what eva reasons...thanks to seagal we have the popularity it is today
Old 08-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #30
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States

Quote:
Adrian Stuart wrote:
well...its good for the sport it gets ppl into aikido..like it or not for what ever reasons...thanks to seagal we have the popularity it is today
I have always wondered about that Adrian? How many people really sought out Aikido or became interested in doing Aikido due to seeing a Steven Seagal movie? Because about the only thing his movies (his older ones any ways) seem to do for an Aikidoka is make it quicker & easier to explain to non-practicing friends & family to the age old question, "what is it you do exactly?"
You answer, "Aikido."
They say, "What's that?"
You say, "What Steven Seagal does in his movies."
They say, "Oh."
end.
Anyone really interested in the MA you do will ask for greater detail, but the vast majority now think they completely understand what you do and that's the end of it...except of course now they have a Hollywood version of what we do.
Oops sorry I'm rambling.
Gene
Old 08-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #31
ad_adrian

Australia

well gene..i know for one...after doing boxing for 7 years....then trying my hand at kung fu, i was looking for another martial art and i was watching a steven seagal movie and thought hey..i might look into that.
and here i am.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #32
ikkitosennomusha

I don't consume energy drinks. If you are feeling tired on a contingent basis then look at the amount of sleep and food you have been consuming. If your fatigue is chronic, it could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency or more serious such as thyroid disease.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:01 AM   #33
ad_adrian

Australia

i will consume energy drinks on 2 occasions

1. i am extremely sick and have to work
2. i am hung over and have to work
Old 08-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #34
samiagoudie
Australia

Hmmm, WELL , I read this with interest and had a look at the site and suggest others may do so and make their own decisions. for me , I think it is what I would expect. I trained briefly with Mr Steven Seagal and have my own opinions on his moralitiy , and first hand experiences of the lack of it. HOWEVER , people change , thank god , not always , but we can hope this for all beings . As He is now a practicing buddhist , i would hope he has developed some insight , wisdom and compassion. however , change can take many lives .

I hope this for myself and all of us.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #35
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Adrian Stuart wrote:
i will consume energy drinks on 2 occasions

1. i am extremely sick and have to work
2. i am hung over and have to work

There's a difference????
Old 08-28-2005, 11:57 PM   #36
dyffcult
United_States

Joseph,

Very little in my book :-)

Brenda
Old 08-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #37
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States

Quote:
Adrian Stuart wrote:
well gene..i know for one...after doing boxing for 7 years....then trying my hand at kung fu, i was looking for another martial art and i was watching a steven seagal movie and thought hey..i might look into that.
and here i am.
That's cool Adrian. I think like you there are people who became aware through his movies, just not as much as we seem to give credit. It is possible that I am entirely wrong, except I have no on ewho came because of a Seagal movie.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #38
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

No wonder they call it lightening bolt-30 grams of sugar. It probably sends you into insulin shock.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #39
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
No wonder they call it lightening bolt-30 grams of sugar. It probably sends you into insulin shock.
Whoa!!! I didn't see that! Maybe they'll have a sugar free or less sugar option? lol!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #40
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Your average can of soda runs about 30-40 grams of sugar.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-30-2005, 06:29 AM   #41
Blake Newman
Dojo: Tenshin Bugei Gakuen Orlando
United_States

Quote:
Gene Martinelli wrote:
I have always wondered about that Adrian? How many people really sought out Aikido or became interested in doing Aikido due to seeing a Steven Seagal movie? Because about the only thing his movies (his older ones any ways) seem to do for an Aikidoka is make it quicker & easier to explain to non-practicing friends & family to the age old question, "what is it you do exactly?"
You answer, "Aikido."
They say, "What's that?"
You say, "What Steven Seagal does in his movies."
They say, "Oh."
end.
Anyone really interested in the MA you do will ask for greater detail, but the vast majority now think they completely understand what you do and that's the end of it...except of course now they have a Hollywood version of what we do.
Oops sorry I'm rambling.
Gene
Gene, please come to our dojo. You are not too far away.......oh, and please stop and pick up a sixer of Asian Experience.

www.tenshinaikido.com

Old 08-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #42
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Since traditional chinese medicine is one of my specialties, I'll weigh in here with a comment on the Asian Experience thing...

Mostly sugar water, as most of these energy drinks are. Of the herbs it contains, two -- gogi and guarana -- are primarily antioxidants, used traditionally for longevity/vitality issues (makes sense, since most aging processes are the result of oxidative tissue damage). Cordyceps has shown some antitumor activity in vivo, specifically a mouse sarcoma. It does show some immunosuppressive activity. Yerba is actually a South American herb, contains equivalent amounts of caffiene as coffee, but a much higher dose of Vit. C.

Of course, no mention is made of how much of each is in the drink, so my guess it is miniscule, if not positively homeopathic, doses. Cheaper that way.

Skip the Asian Experience. Water will serve you better.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #43
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Your average can of soda runs about 30-40 grams of sugar.

Best,

Chris
I believe that supports the point well. I'd rather have a diet coke and watch re-runs of "Above the Law", remembering back to the skinny days of Steve...
Old 08-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #44
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Eric Webber wrote:
I believe that supports the point well. I'd rather have a diet coke and watch re-runs of "Above the Law", remembering back to the skinny days of Steve...
I always found it interesting that Seagal's weight often gets mentioned, even though there are quite a few well known Japanese shihan carrying about much more fat. Oddly, nobody seems to complain about their weight...

Even among non-Japanese, I could name any number of really huge 6th and 7th dans who never get criticized in public for their weight.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #45
Hogan

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
I always found it interesting that Seagal's weight often gets mentioned, even though there are quite a few well known Japanese shihan carrying about much more fat. Oddly, nobody seems to complain about their weight...

Even among non-Japanese, I could name any number of really huge 6th and 7th dans who never get criticized in public for their weight.

Best,

Chris
I am sure, though, it is mentioned in private.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #46
Erik

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:

Best,

Chris
I wouldn't say "nobody", the last time it happened here all hell broke loose. And, besides, aikidoists always excuse their own.

Nice comment on the Cola. I was gonna do it but didn't. Depending on the size of the drink, 30 grams of sugar really isn't all that much.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #47
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer wrote:
Nice comment on the Cola. I was gonna do it but didn't. Depending on the size of the drink, 30 grams of sugar really isn't all that much.
I used to think that, too, but then I decided to check and see what it actually looked like. Given that a sugar packet contains on average 4 grams of sugar, we are talking about 7-1/2 to 10 packs of sugar - PER SERVING!

If you want to see something interesting, start out tearing open packets of sugar and make a pile out of the contents...

Note at what point you either smile, or say to yourself "My lord, that's insane!" Please report your anecdotal findings back here in the thread.

I used to eat low-fat yogurt until I questioned the sugar content and did the above exercise to see what an ounce (28 grams) looked like. I realized that there is nothing healthy about those things, and haven't touched them since...

<rant>
All I can say is "Sorry Dannon and sorry Seagal Sensei, but I ain't buying what the "crocks" are cooking!

For me the whole thing just reeks of another person with so much potential who surrounded himself with bad people and bad management who are full of bad ideas, It is kind of like Mike Tyson when he ditched "Cus" D'Amato, Bill Cayton & Jimmy Jacobs to surround himself with a different management, trainer and promoter, (the preen, clean & dreamer team, as I like to call them) and we all know how that ended up.

In the end he and the others will make a ton of dough, eat a ton of doughnuts and we'll all be sick. Hey at least his kids will still be able to eat, right? Pathetic!

</rant>
Old 08-31-2005, 07:30 PM   #48
Erik

I quote myself,

Quote:
It's a matter of comparison and I'm not bothered by sugar in the way some are.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #49
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

OMG! I can't stand too much sugar, you know? It's rediclous how much sugar content is in a lot of foods out there! You can't even have an iced tea without bombarding your body with 16 grams or more of sugar! It's crazy! I come from a family of diabetics...and though I don't have diabetes...I make sure I work out (which I do often), eat right, and stay away from too much junk food! I also like to use Splenda as a sweetener when I want something to be sweet. If not...I usually just drink my coffee black...or at least with creamer. The sugar content in the creamer is enough for me...not that's its sweet or anything...just for health reasons. Also...I drink a lot of green tea when I'm not drinking coffee...and I just drink that straight up...no sugar, cream, or honey or anything else! That's the way to go, ese! LOL!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 PM   #50
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
I used to think that, too, but then I decided to check and see what it actually looked like. Given that a sugar packet contains on average 4 grams of sugar, we are talking about 7-1/2 to 10 packs of sugar - PER SERVING!

If you want to see something interesting, start out tearing open packets of sugar and make a pile out of the contents...

Note at what point you either smile, or say to yourself "My lord, that's insane!" Please report your anecdotal findings back here in the thread.

I used to eat low-fat yogurt until I questioned the sugar content and did the above exercise to see what an ounce (28 grams) looked like. I realized that there is nothing healthy about those things, and haven't touched them since...
It's also (for comparison) about the amount of sugar in a 12 ounce glass of 100% orange juice.

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
<rant>
All I can say is "Sorry Dannon and sorry Seagal Sensei, but I ain't buying what the "crocks" are cooking!

For me the whole thing just reeks of another person with so much potential who surrounded himself with bad people and bad management who are full of bad ideas, It is kind of like Mike Tyson when he ditched "Cus" D'Amato, Bill Cayton & Jimmy Jacobs to surround himself with a different management, trainer and promoter, (the preen, clean & dreamer team, as I like to call them) and we all know how that ended up.

In the end he and the others will make a ton of dough, eat a ton of doughnuts and we'll all be sick. Hey at least his kids will still be able to eat, right? Pathetic!

</rant>
I thought about this one for awhile, but I don't think that I'd even accept that as an excuse from my 12 year old. At 12 years old (let alone however old Seagal and Tyson are) you're plenty old enough to be accepting responsibility for your own actions. If they're surrounding themselves with bad people, well, they chose those people. Whether it was his idea originally or not, Seagal must have gone along with the plan, signed the papers, and so forth. That makes it, in my book, his responsibility.

That being said, I don't see anything particularly wrong with marketing an energy drink. Martial artists in Japan have been marketing their skills for money for hundreds of years. Sokaku Takeda did it, Morihei Ueshiba did it, why not anybody else?

Best,

Chris