Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Chris Walla

United_States
Techniques for breathing?

Hello,

I am a Nikyu in my fifth year of training (off and on). I believe that I have hit a wall in my practice. I don't breath. Every time I am either throwing or being thrown I find that I am holding my breath. On further examination, I hold my breath when rolling stretching, break falling, catching or striking.
I focus on my breathing when we practice kokyu ho or during my tandoku such as ikkyo exercise or rowing exercise, but whether a bokken is in my hand or a partners hand I find I am holding my breath.

Anyone with similar problem or advice out there?

- Chris Walla
Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Techniques for breathing?

IMHO, holding your breath is usually is usually a sign of stress. I am surprised your Sempai have not called you on it sooner.

You may need to relax, slow down, and re-habituate the breathing into your movement. All of them including the warm ups. Inhale on enter, blend, and bringing into your center. Exhale on extension and execution.

Its a common problem with a simple solution, practice how you want to perform.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Welcome to the club, Chris.

What you are telling is normal human behaviour. I have the same problem, and I've seen a lot of us in this club

First my little guess on when and why it happens to me:
When a technique is new or difficult, I am totally concentrated on how I have to move and forget all breathing.
When uke is strong, instinctively I try to use more power and press - while holding my breathe.

That's why my tip is:
Do the first techniques VERY slowly. Try to focus on where uke's power goes, instead of forcing your power to do the right technique. If accepted in your dojo, it is better to a complete different technique from what your sensei taught than forcing power or stop breathing. Maybe for a Nikyu only very rarely

Only when these first techniques work, enhance speed and/or form of the technique, but only step by step always watching your breathing into the hara.

For a while it might look as getting worse in your aikido, but as soon as you breathe automatically (at least more often) and as you stop using brute force - you never used it, only me - you will see that many difficult things get just as natural walking.

At least I still hope for that, there are already little signs of improving.

Best regards

Dirk
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Chris Walla

United_States

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:

You may need to relax, slow down, and re-habituate the breathing into your movement. All of them including the warm ups. Inhale on enter, blend, and bringing into your center. Exhale on extension and execution.

Its a common problem with a simple solution, practice how you want to perform.
Simple Solution? Ah ha ha ha... Lynn! You're humor always gets the best of me! Simple... HA! Ah... you crack me up!

(*wish I could "breath" while doing aikido!*)

Old 09-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Make small kiais as you're doing techniques.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
crbateman

You may find it useful to research the vocal sounds of the kototama (Google search it). Many aikidoka employ the practice during training in order to regulate the breathing. Nadeau Sensei is a big proponent. Good luck... you'll get there.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Chris,
Practice coordinating your breathing with your moition in every day life. At first this will take a good deal of effort but over time it will become second nature. As that happens you will notice that your breathing will become coordinated with your Aikido motion, which hopefully you have slowed down as Lynn has suggested. Best of luck.

Mark J.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #9
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

What Lynn said, and if you go fast, try to use kiai, itīs really really hard make a kiai and hold your breath at the same time.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:56 AM   #10
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I learned long ago to "focus on the outbreath", and so I began a 'Kokyu ho' practice when driving my car. You breathe in through your nose to the count of four and breathe out through your mouth making a silent "ha" sound to the count of eight.I was surprised that that simple private practice of breathing 20 minutes everyday had such a huge change on my aikido. I was a 5th kyu then. The practice has made such a difference that I continue breathing practice every day, twenty years later.
It is a practice that I can do wherever I am, and I do, whenever it comes to mind. Doing just a ten minute practice slows your breathing down, so that when your mind turns to something else, you can notice that your breathing is still slow. In gassho.