Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center
Aikikai Kagami Biraki Promotions?

i heard that etsuji horii sensei was promoted to 7th dan at this year's kagami biraki...

does anyone know of any additional promotions?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Aikikai Kagami Biraki Promotions?

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
i heard that etsuji horii sensei was promoted to 7th dan at this year's kagami biraki...

does anyone know of any additional promotions?
Hello Jerome,

Yes, Horii Shihan was promoted to 7th dan at this year's kagami biraki. The entire list was published in the Aikido Shimbun and, judging from the photograph on the front page, Horii Shihan received his diploma in person, for he is on the front row watching Doshu's demonstration. The list covers more than 70 lines of Japanese text and there are far too many names to list individually.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Jerome,

Yes, Horii Shihan was promoted to 7th dan at this year's kagami biraki. The entire list was published in the Aikido Shimbun and, judging from the photograph on the front page, Horii Shihan received his diploma in person, for he is on the front row watching Doshu's demonstration. The list covers more than 70 lines of Japanese text and there are far too many names to list individually.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hi Peter,
Is there a reason there is not a more public presentation of these names via the internet? It would seem to be logical given the international level of participation these days.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Hi Peter,
Is there a reason there is not a more public presentation of these names via the internet? It would seem to be logical given the international level of participation these days.
- George
George,

I think there are two issues here: a practical issue and an issue of principle.

With respect to the practical issue, you can see the problem very easily if you pay a visit to the Hombu Dojo and (are allowed to) go upstairs to the offices. Doshu's room is at the far end of the corridor, but there are small offices that look out on to the road in front of the building. The impression I have is that people are really stretched. Of the people who run the International Department, one is in hospital suffering the effects of a stroke, another is in his 70s and has virtually retired, a third visits the Hombu only once or twice each week, and the fourth is also an instructor with a regular training and teaching schedule. So I would think that the job of translating all the names into English and posting them on the English-language website is way, way down the list.

However, I think there is another issue, that of principle. Given the fact that in the Aikikai information is always given (or withheld) on a need-to-know basis, and that there is an inbuilt tendency to conservatism and inertia, the need to know has to be argued for and there is no one in the Hombu to do this. In addition, since the names of new yudansha regularly appear in the Aikido Shimbun, which is like an official aikido gazette, it is probably thought of too little importance to put it on the website in addition--the English-language website especially.

However, that said, I have to state that the amount of information given on both websites (it is different in English and Japanese) has dramatically improved over the years. So it might be possible to make a case that dan promotions should be posted on the website as well as in the Aikido Shimbun. However, I think it will take some doing.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
George,

I think there are two issues here: a practical issue and an issue of principle.

With respect to the practical issue, you can see the problem very easily if you pay a visit to the Hombu Dojo and (are allowed to) go upstairs to the offices. Doshu's room is at the far end of the corridor, but there are small offices that look out on to the road in front of the building. The impression I have is that people are really stretched. Of the people who run the International Department, one is in hospital suffering the effects of a stroke, another is in his 70s and has virtually retired, a third visits the Hombu only once or twice each week, and the fourth is also an instructor with a regular training and teaching schedule. So I would think that the job of translating all the names into English and posting them on the English-language website is way, way down the list.

However, I think there is another issue, that of principle. Given the fact that in the Aikikai information is always given (or withheld) on a need-to-know basis, and that there is an inbuilt tendency to conservatism and inertia, the need to know has to be argued for and there is no one in the Hombu to do this. In addition, since the names of new yudansha regularly appear in the Aikido Shimbun, which is like an official aikido gazette, it is probably thought of too little importance to put it on the website in addition--the English-language website especially.

However, that said, I have to state that the amount of information given on both websites (it is different in English and Japanese) has dramatically improved over the years. So it might be possible to make a case that dan promotions should be posted on the website as well as in the Aikido Shimbun. However, I think it will take some doing.

Best wishes,

PAG
Thanks Peter. As much as folks talk about trying to tie the Aikido community together, I think there's a long way to go. Hombu is the one place one would expect announcements to be made cutting across national and organization lines. At some point, the ASU will list the folks from our own organization who have been promoted but there is almost no mechanism to find out about friends and acquaintances from other organizations who have received promotion, despite the fact that we are all "Aikikai". While it seems logical for folks interested in goings on in Japan to check the Headquarters website, there seems to be little thought that it might promote more of a sense of unity amongst Aikikai members to have Headquarters act as a clearing house for info like this that might me of interest to the larger community. I understand the logistics, of course. But budgets get allocated to the places deemed important. It really would not take that much effort to get a list published on the website. Frankly, having a place where Aikikai ranks were listed (not just the new promotions) might actually save them the time it takes them to reply to inquiries regarding various folks "bone fides" and Aikikai Association. Just a thought...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

thanx for the update and insights on this, peter and george.

i agree it would be great to have this information. like george said, it would bring the aikido community closer, not just between our friends from organization to organization, but also as one group under the aikikai.

at any rate, congrats to horii shihan and all who were promoted
Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

In addition to the increased transparency across organizations and internationally, it would also help to alleviate the "fakes" claiming aikikai rank or even higher rank than awarded. There's to much of that stuff going on for my taste.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote: View Post
In addition to the increased transparency across organizations and internationally, it would also help to alleviate the "fakes" claiming aikikai rank or even higher rank than awarded. There's to much of that stuff going on for my taste.
Are there really that many "fakes" out there?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

You might be surprised. There are a lot of self-awarded ranks when people break off from major organizations. Others out there do things like study hapkido, learn some locks and throws, award themselves aikido rank. In my short career, I have run into two major ones. Nothing was ever verifiable. One was a "6th" dan who claimed a 4th dan aikikai instructor his mentor. He'd even steal stuff from me at shodan, at that stage I had nothing worth stealing.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
raul rodrigo
Philippines

In my own city, there are an "8th dan" and a "7th dan" whose rank would come as a surprise to the Aikikai.