Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2001, 08:20 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Ai symbol

I started aikido to do weapons work, then I realised I preferred the unarmed technique, then I realised that aikido and its associated philosophies has surropticiously changed my attitude towards life. I know this has happened to many people, even though, like myslef, they were not indoctrinated in the spiritual side of aiki in any way. I also think it is wrong to try to persuade people to follow your beliefs if they are not interested. However, what I would like to know is; has anyone been practising for a reasonable length of time (e.g. over 1 -1 1/2 tears) and not been influenced by the philosophical aspects?

Ian
Old 02-12-2001, 08:29 AM   #2
Matthieu
Dojo: My own! soon!
Nope! Not me

When you learn to love hell, you will be in heaven
-Golas
Old 02-12-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
Erik
I've thought about this as well and I wonder if sometimes Aikido doesn't get some undeserved credit. There's a tendency to attribute results to something outside of yourself such as Aikido or far more commonly god (not equating the two, just the context).

I wonder how many people who gave up some sort of vice attribute their results to an outside entity? I don't hear many people say, "I gave up smoking through will-power and hard work. I did all the right things, I quit smoking and while I'm grateful for the help I got from X, I still did all the work." It's almost never presented that way, rather it goes something like "I quit because of X. It saved my life."

I'm not directly answering your question, but then I'm not sure whether I changed myself or Aikido changed me.

Ian, what sort of environment were you in where you got 0.00 philosophy? Maybe I could set up an exchange program? I've heard so much philosophy in the last few months that I'd like to will some of it in that direction. Trust me, I've got tons to spare. This would allow me to spend a little bit of time with my recently rediscovered nemisis Mr. Sankyo.
Old 02-12-2001, 01:33 PM   #4
cbrf4zr2
Ian,

Wow...I think that could be asked as 1-1/2 months, as opposed to 1-1/2 years. Maybe I'm open-minded, or maybe I just have a natural "connection" to aikido, but even after the first few weeks of training I found myself applying the mental/philosophical side to my life. And at my last doctor's visit my blood pressure was significantly lower. Conincidence? Maybe. But Ive only been training 5 months, and I feel myself being influenced by the non-physical side of aikido already.
Use the 4 basic points of aikido in everyday life, and it should make a huge difference in it.

Ed
Old 02-12-2001, 01:40 PM   #5
Matthieu
Dojo: My own! soon!
4 basic points...

Quote:
cbrf4zr2 wrote:
Ian,

Use the 4 basic points of aikido in everyday life, and it should make a huge difference in it.

Ed

Which 4 basic points of aïkido are you referring to Ed?

When you learn to love hell, you will be in heaven
-Golas
Old 02-12-2001, 01:58 PM   #6
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
Talking

i bet they are:

1. love
2. compassion
3. harmony
4. blending with hard surfaces at high velocity

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 02-12-2001, 02:03 PM   #7
cbrf4zr2
Talking

Well the 4 basic ones I'm referring to:

Relax Completely
Keep one point
Stay under center (word this how you may)
Extend Ki

Although I do like Steve's 4th one.

Ed
Old 02-13-2001, 02:33 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Ian

I've changed. But I can not say wheter I changed because of Aikido or took up Aikido because I changed. I know that through years of various MA's I was looking for something that I didn't find until I walked into an Aikido-dojo.

I guess I was ready to change and Aikido became a strong influence upon the direction my life took. I can not honestly say that I 'live' Aikido, but it definately has a big influence on my life.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-13-2001, 06:22 AM   #9
ian

Maybe you lot are right - I know at the time, although I wasn't actually looking for a 'philosophy', I had started to realise that much of Western philosophy just become arguments about terms, language and predjudice and there really wasn't any point of a lot of it. I think most Eastern philosophies (and some very rare western philosophers) are very different to what Westerners would consider philosophy - and it is possible it was this little gap in my experience which the aikido philosophy fell in to.

Ian

P.S. Ed, I was thinking more of the psycholgical/philosophical rather than metaphysical/physical aspects (e.g. ki), but I'm sure they are related as my aiki tends to be better when I'm in a friendly and happy state of mind. (probably relaxes meand I'm more sensetive to uke and observant).
Old 02-13-2001, 06:28 AM   #10
ian

P.P.S.
Erik, unfortunately my philosophies are pretty much set now; maybe it is my onset to middle age.*

Only occasionally do I want to venture into other ideas in order to give my brain something to do., though any novel/new ideas would be worth reflecting on.

*I've heard it said that middles age is where your narrow waist and broad mind swap places.

Ian
Old 02-13-2001, 12:37 PM   #11
Erik
Quote:
ian wrote:
P.P.S.
Erik, unfortunately my philosophies are pretty much set now; maybe it is my onset to middle age.*

Only occasionally do I want to venture into other ideas in order to give my brain something to do., though any novel/new ideas would be worth reflecting on.

*I've heard it said that middles age is where your narrow waist and broad mind swap places.

Ian
For what it's worth, I didn't intend to insult you. My apologies if I did.

I was just whining about my situation which is being in a dojo that is becoming almost all philosophy and 0.00 technique. I would like to transfer some of that philosophy in exchange for some technique.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:41 AM   #12
ian

Yeh, I would agree with you.

I think philosophy should actually stay out of the dojo. People usually go to do Aikido rather than chat. Only sometimes is it useful/necessary to describe a concept in philosophical terms.

I asked a sensei several weeks back if he thought having an understanding of zen or taosim could improve your aikido. His response was to forget the philosophy and just think of this very moment and nothing else...

...very zen.

To me the philosophical/spiritual aspects spring from the physical (e.g. facing aspects of life/death; coming to terms with your own ego; breaking beyong your conventional approach). So I'd discuss this down the bar, but not when I'm trying to get the most out of training.

Ian

P.S. no offence taken, nor would ever be taken!
Old 03-12-2001, 10:59 PM   #13
Matt
Dojo: N/A
I think the beauty of Aikido is that it is it own philosophy in its very essence. What I mean is that to progress you have to understand it and as you struggle to get your and uke's body to do these ridiculous looking movements your mind is trying to grasp the why of the movements and you are forced to mentally grow.
At least I think so,
Matt

"It is better to die on your feet
than to live a lifetime on your knees"
Emiliano Zapata