Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Janet Rosen

Carrying jo, bokken on Amtrak?

In four weeks I'll be taking Amtrak to a seminar - using the Amtrak connector bus to get to the train, then the train within the state. Just struck me that Oops! - maybe I'd better check and see if the dojo will have loaner weapons -
Anybody with direct experience on Amtrak care to comment?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States
Re: Carrying jo, bokken on Amtrak?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
In four weeks I'll be taking Amtrak to a seminar - using the Amtrak connector bus to get to the train, then the train within the state. Just struck me that Oops! - maybe I'd better check and see if the dojo will have loaner weapons -
Anybody with direct experience on Amtrak care to comment?
Janet,

They specifically prohibit martial arts items, unfortunately.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251621565025
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Ah. Indeed, in black and white: "Martial-arts and self-defense items, including but not limited to billy clubs, nightsticks, and nunchuks " - neither checked nor carry on. Well, on the bright side, I'll be traveling lighter :-)

Janet Rosen
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

"Firearms or ammunition" are allowed in checked baggage, but "billy clubs, nightsticks, and nunchuks" are too dangerous!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Just tell them it is sports equipment rather than saying it is martial arts weapons.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Several years ago, a seminar was held at Columbia University with Chiba Shihan. Now, I rarely take weapons to a seminar, unless I know specific weapons classes will be taught, so I did not have any weapons with me at the time (albeit, with a Chiba Shihan seminar, you know some weapons work will be included).

Anyway, I was on the platform at 72nd street waiting for the 1/9 subway train to head up to Columbia U, when I saw another person with a Bu-Jin weapons bag near me on the platform. I assume he was probably going to the same seminar. Two NY policemen approached him and asked what was in the bag...his answer was..."aikido weapons"...the officers took him aside. The train came, I got on. I didn't see him get on the train, nor do I remember him at the seminar...

When asked, often by curious people in my apartment building, what's in the bag...I always say "exercise equipment." Rarely, is there a follow-up question, since my answer is not flamboyant/interesting enough to warrant any further questions.

I also find it interesting, that when traveling in the NY subway, no one would ever bat an eye at a few golf clubs, a baseball bat, or a hockey stick...but, a jo or bokken causes mass hysteria...and I can guarantee that after many years of play ice hockey, I could do far more damage with a hockey stick than with a jo and/or bokken...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
chillzATL
United_States

Call them walking sticks.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

I'm not shlepping them all over California on the OFF CHANCE I can get away with calling them other than what they are and will not take the greater chance that I will have them confiscated. Nope.

Janet Rosen
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Rob Watson
United_States

As a martial artist are you not a 'human weapon'? Therefore not permitted to travel on Amtrak?

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
As a martial artist are you not a 'human weapon'? Therefore not permitted to travel on Amtrak?
i can see the conversation with the LEO.

LEO: do you carry any weapon?
you: i am a weapon!
LEO: cavity search!

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

This reminds me of the time when I and five friends went whitewater kayaking in Nepal and (as a favor to our outfitter) smuggled in something like a hundred raft paddles as a favor to our outfitter. We thought we were through and clear, when a customs official asked what's in the big box. Best possible response, from the youngest-looking member of our group, looking all big-eyed and excited: "Oh, they're RAFT paddles! We're going WHITEWATER RAFTING!" Worked like a charm.

...but, ya know, they weren't my paddles, and if we'd been busted, the duty, fine, and cost of the paddles was all on the outfitter. I'd feel differently if it was my beloved bokken.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
"Firearms or ammunition" are allowed in checked baggage, but "billy clubs, nightsticks, and nunchuks" are too dangerous!
My experience is the other way around.
Last spring I was visiting a large live role playing event with some particpants in metal chain mail and armor carrying steel swords. No problem with LEOs.
But there were also some dressed as Star Wars storm troopers carrying plastic storm trooper guns. Those guns were confiscated because they looked to much like real weapons!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Several years ago, security check in Helsinki airport: "What's in the bag?" me:"Oh, a couple wooden sticks" "For what?" "Sports" Security guy's eyes lit up: "Oh, you do aikido?".

Jo and bokken traveled carry on. :-) But that was more than ten years ago... I don't fly with my sticks anymore.

This is the first time I hear of restrictions on a train though.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 01-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Janet - Em and I travelled via Amtrak to NYC to visit Deb and meet Peter a year or two back and we carried our buki (wooden ones in Bujin bag and iaito in a standard sword bag) and received not a glance. I vote for the "sports equipment" answer ... or just get and wear a LaCrosse sports team jersey ...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote: View Post
Janet - Em and I travelled via Amtrak to NYC to visit Deb and meet Peter a year or two back and we carried our buki (wooden ones in Bujin bag and iaito in a standard sword bag) and received not a glance. I vote for the "sports equipment" answer ... or just get and wear a LaCrosse sports team jersey ...
Thanks for the updated info! As it happens I'll be Amtraking to Sacto at least a couple of times this year to train, but given that it's a big shlep (bus and train and w/o checked luggage options) I'm just going to do it w/o weapons and trust to my empty hand skills en route

Janet Rosen