Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #26
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States
Re: Bad news for Aikido book fans...

Too bad. I'm sure it will surface somewhere, sometime in the future.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Be 'easy' enough just to turn them into iBooks for the iPad - no reason to let stuff go by the wayside.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
Walter Martindale
Canada

Another possible solution - self publish through one of the web-based publishers, such as blurb.com. AIUI you write the book, get a couple of samples to see what it's like, make final revisions and they keep it on their website - it's printed on demand when someone orders a copy.
Blurb.com keeps some of the money for materials, printing, shipping, and a little profit, and you keep whatever's left... (well - whatever your government's tax department lets you keep).
Cheers,
W
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #29
crbateman

I have thus far been unable to get a response from Yoshinkan Hombu to my numerous inquiries about this book, and whether there are plans for an alternate publisher. Does anyone have connections there? I'd sure like to get an update...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
crbateman

Update: Great News!

I have just received word that "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey" will at long last be published by Kodansha America! The release date is scheduled for November 2012, and the new ISBN# will be 9781568364117. I'm sure many of you are looking forward to this as much as I. (How does it feel to be as sick as I am?)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Be 'easy' enough just to turn them into iBooks for the iPad - no reason to let stuff go by the wayside.
Or make a Kindle version. Kindle has waaaay more market than iBooks, being able to play in any and all computer platforms, not just iDevices. For the past three years I've bought Kindle versions of books whenever available - it's nice to carry a whole library in my laptop.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #32
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: Update: Great News!

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
I have just received word that "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey" will at long last be published by Kodansha America! The release date is scheduled for November 2012, and the new ISBN# will be 9781568364117. I'm sure many of you are looking forward to this as much as I. (How does it feel to be as sick as I am?)
It feels just dandy, thank you. ;-)

Glad to hear it, and I'll keep my eyes open for it later this year.

With eBooks, iBooks, Kindle, on-demand publishing, etc., there's no reason for great books to go away forever. The only reason they used to was that the demand was so small it wasn't worth the cost to print, store, ship, and stock them. I hope many "hard to find" books will make their way into this new market, where we can all have (relatively) inexpensive and easy access to them.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Update: Great News!

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Excellent news!
Thanks for chasing this up.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

It's listed on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Spiri...3312643&sr=1-2
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #35
dbotari
Canada

All,

Good news! I have just recently heard that Aikido Jinsei - My Life in Aikido by Gozo Shioda has been published in English. The book is being published by Shindokan Books, the same publisher that put out Aikido Shugyo by Gozo Shioda a few years ago. The translation is done by Chris Johnston and Jaques Payet - the same team that did the translation for Aikido Shugyo.

For those that are interested, here is some info from the publisher's website:

"Aikido Jinsei, is the autobiography of Shioda Gozo, the founder of Yoshinkan Aikido. First published in Japan in 1985, Shioda Sensei uses this book to share his experiences, his aikido and his way of life with his readers. Aikido Jinsei is remarkable for the author's extremely candid approach. Throughout the book, Shioda Sensei openly shares his most personal experiences from his childhood, his time during the war and his training with the founder of Aikido, Ueshiba Morihei Sensei. He shares key insights about Aikido which he learned from Ueshiba Sensei and he clearly documents the events after the war which led to the establishment of the Yoshinkan and his own unique brand of Aikido.

Aikido Jinsei - along with its sister volume, Aikido Shugyo - are indispensable reading for anyone interested in the history of Aikido and the life of Shioda Gozo, one of the most dynamic martial artists of recent time. This first ever full and complete English publication includes a Foreword by the author's son, Shioda Yasuhisa Sensei, Aikido Yoshinkan Soke."

http://www.shindokanbooks.com

I have enjoyed reading the excerpts of Aikido Jinsei that are available on the web and look forward to actually reading the complete work.

Osu!,

Dan Botari
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #36
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Shioda book has been cancelled, or so it seems.

Bad news indeed.
Shioda's book was published by Shindokan books - the translation is the same a the one Kodansha was going to publish.

The translator, Chris Johnston, now has two of Shioda's books. He is a friend, and this translations are great.

http://shindokanbooks.com/

Michael

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #37
crbateman

Latest word is that Kodansha USA has postponed the release of "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey" from November of this year to March 2013. Amazon.com is still taking pre-orders.