Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
How many Aikidoka´s in the world

?
Cheers
Lars
Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
lars beyer
Denmark
Re: How many Aikidoka´s in the world

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
?
Cheers
Lars
Ok, I´ll call Aikikai tonight and if I find someone who knows I´ll get back to you all with an answer.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Aikikai will only know of those registered with them. There are thousands of other aikidoka who are not associated with Aikikai. The total number is elusive and probably impossible to determine.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Aikikai will only know of those registered with them. There are thousands of other aikidoka who are not associated with Aikikai. The total number is elusive and probably impossible to determine.
Hi Michael,
Yes, you are right.. but at least it would be possible to establish a minimum number I guess..
Have a good one
Lars
Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
Hanna B
Sweden

I think most people who train in the Aikikai outside of Japan aren't actually members of the Aikikai. It might be different in different countries, I wouldn't know. But here, you first become a member of the Aikikai when you take shodan. So I don't think they actually keep track of the number of people doing aikido.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post
I think most people who train in the Aikikai outside of Japan aren't actually members of the Aikikai. It might be different in different countries, I wouldn't know. But here, you first become a member of the Aikikai when you take shodan. So I don't think they actually keep track of the number of people doing aikido.
It´s true.. so the registration number on my Aikikai membership card would be how many shodans were
registered at that point in time everyone included both active, nonactive as well as ceased to excist shodans ?

Lars
Old 03-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

According to aiki web's dojo search there are 4,898 total aikido dojo
in 121 countries.

Checking my home town of Brisbane I think its got maybe 3/4 of the dojo (a few that are closed down are still listed). I'd estimate the mean dojo size to be 20 members not dojo average size of 10-15 maybe. so extrapolating and rounding we have 5,000*4/3*20 ~=130,000

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
According to aiki web's dojo search there are 4,898 total aikido dojo
in 121 countries.

Checking my home town of Brisbane I think its got maybe 3/4 of the dojo (a few that are closed down are still listed). I'd estimate the mean dojo size to be 20 members not dojo average size of 10-15 maybe. so extrapolating and rounding we have 5,000*4/3*20 ~=130,000
I think the Aikweb dojo list is far more incomplete, because Aikiweb is predominently English. For example, there are 192 French dojos listed here (adding up to about 4000 practisioners according to this estimation method), but according to http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...34&postcount=5 France has more than 70000 practisioners, almost 20 times more. (that post is from a thread about the same topic as this one, by the way)
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
John Ruhl
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai
United_States

I don't know how they came up with the number, but for what it's worth I just noticed the book description for "The Heart of Aikido" on amazon claims there are 1.6 million practioners worldwide.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Heart-Aiki...2116106&sr=1-5