Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
"Nia" dance and connection to Aikido practice

Just wondering if anyone here has tried "Nia" http://www.nianow.com - a "sensory-based movement practice" that is apparently very low impact and borrows from martial arts (including Aikido), dance, yoga, the Alexander technique and Feldenkrais.

It was recently recommended to me by a dancer friend of mine and I'm curious to know what any Aikidoka who've tried it think - especially about how well it integrates into their Aikido practice and/or vice versa.

Thanks!

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: "Nia" dance and connection to Aikido practice

i had to return the yoga pants, because it shown too much of my ass.

methink, if i wear my hakama over it, then it might help my aikido greatly, since it seemed to keep all the loose stuffs together.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
jducusin

Canada

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
Hate to say it, but it's not your pants that's revealing a lot of "ass" right now.

A note to all civilized Aikidoka: please refrain from irrelevant replies. If a person wanted any less than a serious answer to their question, they'd post under "Humor". If they wanted to mock another person's art, they'd comment on YouTube.

Good old, AikiWeb. First post I've made in years and you haven't changed - thanks for reminding me why I stopped bothering to visit. Stay classy, Aikidoka. Stay classy.

"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post

methink, if i wear my hakama over it, then it might help my aikido greatly, since it seemed to keep all the loose stuffs together.
Phi

Like it
I have seen ribbons used in Aikido - maybe they would keep your loose stuff secure.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
jducusin

Canada

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
I have seen ribbons used in Aikido - maybe they would keep your loose stuff secure.
Oh, something is loose, all right - but I suspect it will take more than ribbons to keep under wraps.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Hi Jamie:

I have gone to a couple of classes. It was just okay. I did not see any connection to Aikido training.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
jducusin

Canada

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I have gone to a couple of classes. It was just okay. I did not see any connection to Aikido training.
Hi Mary,

That's too bad. There are often people who come to the dojo really eager to learn Aikido and have hopes that it will be a low-impact way to drop a lot of weight, only to find that said weight makes the ukemi even more uncomfortable and frustrating than it might typically be for your average beginner. I suppose I was optimistically theorizing that if "Nia" had enough principles common to Aikido, it could be a good activity to recommend to these particular students to start off with as a way to gently shed weight more quickly first and thus help them better transition into classical Aikido practice.

I do appreciate you taking the time for a sincere response. Thanks to Phi and Henry, I have learned something quite valuable. I will now recommend to any Aikidoka wanting to lose weight that all they need do is start a website devoted to Aikido information and wait for the trolls to feed off their time and energy. They'll be bled dry in no time.

Cheers,
J