Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Ryokan
Playing with Ki?

Hi all,

I just began taking aikido again (Ki Aikido this time), and I was wondering if anyone knew of ways to play with ki in everyday life -- making the world your dojo.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States
Re: Playing with Ki?

Hi Tierney,
Welcome to Aikiweb. Coordination of mind and body has many application in daily life from the moment you wakeup unit you fall asleep. The most obvious ones are: posture while standing, sitting, walking, driving, talking with someone personally or over the phone, dealing with your friends, co-worker, wife, kids. I'm quite new to the stuff myself with just 4 years training under my belt but I'd like to think that ki training improved my character even by just a small amount. Enjoy your training.

Larry

Plus Ki
Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States

If anyone figures out a way to use ki against dogs, let me know.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Breathing

Extended breathing can be practiced in almost every situation. When you breathe out, remain in the exhalation spirit a while after no more air comes, and when you breathe in, keep the inhaling spirit a while after you have filled your lungs.

The best is if you do it with belly breathing, but that's not completely necessary.

You can use this extended breathing together with things you do. Breathe in when you pull something, breathe out when you push - for example doors. That's fun.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Ryokan

Ah, Stefan, thank you, that's the sort of specific thing I was looking for.

Sorry, Ricky, I don't have dog problems. Though I saw mention of folks practicing with their dogs, and I'm curious how you would do that. I seem to remember an article long ago about practicing aikido with wolves, but don't recall its author.

Larry, thanks for your welcome. I've always loved aikido, and, even though I've trained very little, always found great benefit from it.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Tierney Wisniewski wrote: View Post
I seem to remember an article long ago about practicing aikido with wolves, but don't recall its author.
That would be O.Fred Donaldson. Look him up here:

http://www.originalplay.com/fred_donaldson.htm
I think you'll find some fun things in his Original Play work.
Best,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
Stefan Stenudd

Sweden

Quote:
Ah, Stefan, thank you, that's the sort of specific thing I was looking for.
If I may be so bold: I wrote a book with a number of such very basic ki (qi) exercises, in case you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419627724/

Stefan Stenudd
Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Dude, you ever watch Cesar Milan AKA The Dog Whisperer?

Despite the fact that he is a dog psychologist and what not, a lot of the stuff he talks about, to me, is aikido (and therefore ki, but let's not start that debate).

Peace and love

Jo
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Use your Ki to move your finger, which will then depress the trigger on your tazer.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
Stefan Stenudd

Sweden

Quote:
Jo Duncan wrote: View Post
Dude, you ever watch Cesar Milan AKA The Dog Whisperer?
Despite the fact that he is a dog psychologist and what not, a lot of the stuff he talks about, to me, is aikido (and therefore ki, but let's not start that debate).
I agree with you. Love that show! And indeed, so much aikido.
He must have practiced some budo. Anybody knows?

Stefan Stenudd
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
Ryokan

Yes, according to Wikipedia,

Quote:
He played sports with the neighborhood children but missed the outdoor farm life, so to help him cope with the stress of the city, his family enrolled him at the age of six in a judo class. Millan excelled and had won six championships in a row by the age of fourteen. His mentor there, Joaquín, told him stories about Japan and taught him various meditation techniques.
And thanks for the tip on Original Play, Jen.

Any other ki exercises to try in normal, everyday life?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Stefan Stenudd

Sweden

Thanks, Tierney, for that info. I knew it

Quote:
Any other ki exercises to try in normal, everyday life?
I have a bundle of them. They're all in my book, and several of them on my website.
For example:
When you walk, aim way ahead, and walk only on exhalation. When you have no more air to exhale, continue walking with a spirit of exhalation - but just as long as you keep that conviction and feel strong in it. Stop before inhaling. It is important to stop before you feel weakened, otherwise you foster weakness instead of power.
Particularly the walking you do with the spirit of exhaling, when there's no more air coming, is an excellent ki exercise.

Your gaze can also be a ki exercise.
Stand still and choose a target way ahead. Close your eyes. Begin a powerful exhalation, then open your eyes and gaze at the target, with your exhalation going. It's like you touch the target with your breath. That too, can be continued with the spirit of exhalation after there's no more air coming. Before you feel weakened, close your eyes and inhale.

That's good against dogs, too, by the way. When you pass a hostile dog, gaze at a target far ahead, and use this breathing exercise. Most dogs will ignore you, however hostile they feel. Other animals, too - even the most nervous ones.

Stefan Stenudd
Old 08-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
barry.clemons
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

United_States

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
When you walk, aim way ahead, and walk only on exhalation. When you have no more air to exhale, continue walking with a spirit of exhalation - but just as long as you keep that conviction and feel strong in it. Stop before inhaling. It is important to stop before you feel weakened, otherwise you foster weakness instead of power. Particularly the walking you do with the spirit of exhaling, when there's no more air coming, is an excellent ki exercise.

Your gaze can also be a ki exercise.
Stand still and choose a target way ahead. Close your eyes. Begin a powerful exhalation, then open your eyes and gaze at the target, with your exhalation going. It's like you touch the target with your breath. That too, can be continued with the spirit of exhalation after there's no more air coming. Before you feel weakened, close your eyes and inhale.
Stefan,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'The Spirit of Exhalation?'

Barry Clemons
"The virtuous man is self-sufficient and undisturbed; not a slave of circumstance or emotion" - Zeno
Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

once you know what it feels like to move in an internal/qi manner, you can start to do every motion that way. How to learn that is a topic of another discussion. I am going to provide a few examples assuming one has done some exercises from the Aunkai, Dan or Mike.

For example, if you push a kart/lawn mower etc figure out how to push the object without using your upper body/shoulders so much. If you start to feel it all in the lower back/legs that might give you some clues if you are doing it right. If you feel it in your shoulders that wil give you a clue that something else is going on.

When wearing a backpack, where do you feel the load? If you can hold it up without your shoulders getting so tired (its somewhat cheating if you tie it to your waist) you might learn something.

What is the alignment of your upper body when you open drawers/doors?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
Stefan Stenudd

Sweden

Quote:
Barry Clemons wrote: View Post
Stefan,
Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'The Spirit of Exhalation?'
That's when you feel like you continue to exhale, although there's no more air coming.

For example: If you want to hold your breath, this is easy after a deep inhalation, but very difficult after exhaling. But if you keep the feeling of exhaling, i.e. pretend to continue to exhale, it gets easier.

You can do the same with inhaling: First you inhale air, and then when you can't get more air in, you continue with the feeling of inhaling.

That exhaling or inhaling without air is quite close to a pure flow of ki.
From my understanding of it...

Stefan Stenudd
Old 08-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #16
barry.clemons
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

United_States

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
That's when you feel like you continue to exhale, although there's no more air coming.

For example: If you want to hold your breath, this is easy after a deep inhalation, but very difficult after exhaling. But if you keep the feeling of exhaling, i.e. pretend to continue to exhale, it gets easier.

You can do the same with inhaling: First you inhale air, and then when you can't get more air in, you continue with the feeling of inhaling.

That exhaling or inhaling without air is quite close to a pure flow of ki.
From my understanding of it...
I appreciate the example. Your website offers much in the way of practical example and exercises as well.

Barry Clemons
"The virtuous man is self-sufficient and undisturbed; not a slave of circumstance or emotion" - Zeno