Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Justin Gaar
Dojo: Aikido Academy Of Self Defense
United_States
Ki Symbol Aikido: Most Physically Involving?

Hey,
Well for those of you who don't know, i have a problem with overheating exhaustion when i train. I'll start sweating all over the mat. There will be on spot on the mat and sensei can say, "Justin Was Here". Leading to my question, Is aikido possibly the most physically involving of the contemperary martial arts (Karate, Judo, Taekwondo) Despite the softer movements and you aren't actually jump-kicking and swinging yourrself everywhere. Could aikido possibly be, because of the demands the techniques place on the body, the most physically involving sport?

If you arrest a mime, do you have tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States
Re: Aikido: Most Physically Involving?

i dont know anything about karate, judo, or taekwondo... but i do know that a lot of people get really sweaty and exhausted doing aikido! (which is strange because aikido is supposedly known for being soft and flowy and not needing a lot of physical effort)
maybe we are doing something wrong... like maybe if we are getting exhausted we should be using more ki and less muscle power. ehh thats just a thought.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Throwing, unless I've screwed up and made it into a strength contest, does not make me tired. Ukemi, on the other hand.... All that attacking and following and falling and getting up and attacking again wears you out, especially if the pace is fast. It's kind of funny when you contrast how much work uke does in response to a little movement from nage.

I've done some karate. It's a different work-out but I wouldn't call it any more demanding than aikido. The sore places are different, but just as sore. The injuries are also in different spots, but they aren't any more or less aggravating.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Justin Gaar wrote:
Hey,
Well for those of you who don't know, i have a problem with overheating exhaustion when i train. I'll start sweating all over the mat. There will be on spot on the mat and sensei can say, "Justin Was Here" .....
Yes, I work up more of a sweat in Aikido than in any of the other four martial arts I'm doing. The poster who says it might because of ukemi waza could be right, but I don't know.

Quote:
..... Leading to my question, Is aikido possibly the most physically involving of the contemperary martial arts .....
From what I understand, the hardest thing on your body is Thai Boxing. So everything else you mentioned loses.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
Duarh

Well, I don't know about other arts, but I do know that judo, the way my sensei in Latvia teaches it, is more physically exhausting by a good amount than aikido - and the way my Latvian sensei teaches aikido is the most aerobically intense I've seen around. Then again, he prepares judoka for tournaments and such, so it's probably different for 'normal practice'.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:29 AM   #6
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Justin Gaar wrote:
Hey,
Well for those of you who don't know, i have a problem with overheating exhaustion when i train. I'll start sweating all over the mat. There will be on spot on the mat and sensei can say, "Justin Was Here". Leading to my question, Is aikido possibly the most physically involving of the contemperary martial arts (Karate, Judo, Taekwondo) Despite the softer movements and you aren't actually jump-kicking and swinging yourrself everywhere. Could aikido possibly be, because of the demands the techniques place on the body, the most physically involving sport?
Try Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, TKD, etc. It's probably because you're not used to working out that much that you sweat like that. Be sure to drink plenty of water (not enrgy drinks, not pop, not lemonade) water.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Ian Upstone

I don't know about aikido being any more physically demanding than other arts - there's too many variations and levels of practice/exertion to form any sort of balanced opinion on my part.

What I have noticed though, personally speaking (typing?) is that I've become somewhat 'activity specific' with regards to fitness; I take quite a lot of ukemi in an average session which doesn't bother me too much - but put me in another physical activity for a similar length of time (even one that is supposedly less demanding) - and I'm exhausted!

I suppose the flip side of that is also true - take someone who is fit but not used to breakfalls, say a swimmer/runner, and get them to fall down and get up many many times in quick succession - and they're exhausted in no time.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I find BJJ to be much more physically exhausting than AIkido. Seems like when we do aikido, we slow things down and try and learn posture etc. Not to say that aikido is not physically demanding and a good workout it is, just not as much as I have found BJJ to be.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #9
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

I've taken part in training sessions that are about the most serious workout I can do (in which people much, much fitter than me worked themselves to exhaustion), and I've also taken part in sessions that were about as physically demanding as flower arranging.
The question is pretty much meaningless, you may as well ask 'when is purple?'

Sean
x
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

The only time I've worked up more of a sweat than in Aikido is sparring. Standing around kicking and punching into thin air isn't really much effort. Strangely I don't really work up a sweat in Ju-jitsu though. That said our dojo is usually 25-30C because the heatings on all the time and the windows are all painted shut except for one and the only fan we have can't actually stand up by itself and Sensei despises it with a passion anyway. But then if we do open the one window we can open then the smells from the Chinese restaurant next door waft in and make everyone hungry.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #11
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Which then triggers debates like. "Mmmmm Chicken chow mein" "No, it's Chicken fried rice" "No, it's definately Chow mein"
And so on and so forth.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

The only physically demanding part I think is the break fall exercises and all the rolling around we do. That's what makes me and everyone else in the dojo all sweaty, LOL! When I first started aikido I thought that it was going to be easy and that there wouldn't be any physical stuff...but man, when they made me start rolling around and doing those break fall exercises in the beginning of class, I was sweating and exhausted beyond all reason! LOL!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

If using sweat as indicator of intensity of workout... I guess my dojo's aikido is pretty high on the intensity rating.

How is it intense?

1) Ukemi. If you have studied physiology in college, you will appreciate how much work our body have to go through to maintain blood pressure equilibrium when you go from horizontal (lying on mat) to vertical (standing up waiting to be thrown down again).

2) Hajime training. This involves a non-stop round of exchanging throws and counter throws between two people on a preset technique. This will sometime go anywhere between 15 to 20 reps per technique before exchanging partner and performing a new technique.

3) Jiyu waza/Randori. This is the equivalent of free sparring in my dojo. The intensity is multiplied when it is multiple ukes scenario.
Again, such exercise involves a lot of ukemi and this is IMO the most tiring aspect of aikido. As for the shite, the constant moving around when confronted by multiple ukes tend to push Shiite's cardiovascular up.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

I just sweat like a pig...hehe...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
jester

United_States

When I do Tomiki Aikido, I don't sweat that much at all. When I go to an Aikikai seminar or school, I sweat a lot. The Tomiki style I learned executes the technique once uke steps, so there's not as much motion going on.

The Aikikai people I've worked out with, have more movement, and once they fall, they pop back up real fast, then attack again and again at a fast pace. I sweat profusely.

It could be that I'm better and more accustomed to my style, but I think it's all the motion involved that gets your heart rate up.

I sweat just as much in BJJ, basketball and skateboarding, so I don't think Aikido is any more demanding then other arts.