Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States
training with an injury?!

I need some advice from everyone on whether or not I should return to training after finding out that I have an injury. I discontinued my training about 5 months ago, due to what I thought was a severe muscle pull. I now realize that it is a lower back injury. Can I continue training if I modify the training to be of a lower intensity without making the injury worse? I think the stretching and general movements may help, but has anyone else done this?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States
Re: training with an injury?!

Chris-
A lot depends on the particular details of the back injury. Lower back injuries can be due to muscle pulls, vertebral body damage or disease (degenerative/arthritic vs compression fractures vs spondylolisthesis or canal stenosis), disc herniation or torn disc annulus fibrosus, SI joint inflammation, scoliosis, or even referred pain from other problems which may be unrecognized, such as hip joint disease, sciatic nerve entrapment at the piriformis triangle, and even kidney disease, among others. The specific problem needs to be accurately identified and a solid treatment plan formulated by someone who understands spine conditions as well as your training demands and interest in continuing to work out. I think that Sports Medicine trained docs/health care providers are your best bet in this regard. I would be extremely wary about attempting any specific therapy or further training based on the advice of someone who lacks fundamental knowledge of spine conditions and also hasn't evaluated you with at least a physical examination and possibly even imaging studies (X-ray, MRI, etc. if warranted). Get evaluated by a professional, and if things aren't improving, seek additional opinion from the most qualified individuals that you can find. Oh, and learn soft ukemi. Take care of your back now, so that you can stay active and do aikido, or whatever else you want,into your 70's, 80's, or longer. Good luck. John
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

what he said :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Hi Chris,
Here's my case: I have a lower back injury(slight disc herniation) that I sustained while I was in active duty back in 1993. I discovered Ki Aikido with my kids about 18 months ago and decided to have a go at it. I had to get my doctor's permission to get into the training. What I found was the Ki exercises that we do specially the backward rolls stretches my lower back. Before, I normally wake up with lower back pain. Now a days, I don't. I have not done advanced ukemi but I have been problem free doing basic ukemi.
Having said this, I also know my limitations and don't jump to quickly into things without a quick reality check.
Get your doctor's advice before anything else.
Good luck. Oh yeah, the kiatsu press is amazing!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Kohai,

IMHO, get a complete evaluation and consultation from a sports orthopedic.

For lower back, do the lumbar stabilization exercises from a physical therapy.

I train with four disc bulges in my lumbar region. Its why, as you know, I can't bend backward.

With injuries/conditions, you have to train wisely, but IMHO, you can still train.

Talk to us old guys.

Hope to see you back on the mat soon.

BTW, how's school going?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Thanks everyone for your input. Its interesting that so many people train with these types of injuries. I am in the process of getting a complete evaluation. Right now I am trying to not let this prevent me from doing the things I want. lol.

Lynn, school is going good. I am taking a Bio-Psych class which is a little crazy but not to bad. Hope to be back on the mat this week on Thursday.

Thanks again everyone.

-Chris