Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
nikau
Dojo: Makotokan Budo
Australia
Worth training in different aikido styles??

1st of all our dojo come under aikikai, practice is geared towards being martially creditable and our sensei is great, in that, while being martial the emphasis is on helping each other and stressing NOT hurting each other.

He's also suggested training on different nights with another sensei or dojo to help find aikido in a different way.

Is it WORTH practicing a different aikido? OR better sticking to a school in the same organization?

I know there's different styles BUT do they differ that much?

Most of our other students go to a sensei that we already have a lot to do with in our organization. While he still teaches differently the aikido is much the same.

Would this change if i tried Yoseikan, Yoshinkan on another night?
Would it hinder my training?

Currently studying 8 months.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Worth training in different aikido styles??

Most of the styles are as much the same as they are different. That being said, I would suggest that you establish a firm foundation and strong basics in one style, before going out and trying to learn another. The differences in the application of technique may be slight, but it can be very challenging.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Carl Thompson

Japan

In retrospect, I would have preferred mixing styles after having mastered my first to a much higher level. You have enough to learn with one style. If you are effectively learning twice as many ways to do the same thing, it can get difficult to segregate. I met a girl doing Seifukai here mixed with Aikikai who had exactly the same problems as me, so it seems those two styles together can be particularly confusing .

There's a discussion about this on another thread:

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
For me, the most confusing thing was doing different styles of aikido. I started off doing ‘Aikikai style' aikido (although not part of the Aikikai) in the U.K., moved to Japan and suddenly found that I couldn't find or get into any dojo doing the same kind of thing (I was in Hamamatsu). So I ended up doing Seifukai (that's Yoseikan) and got really muddled. I did a bit of Shodokan and Tesshinkai which seemed to fit together better, but the Seifukai that I was mainly doing was sometimes in complete contrast to what I'd done before. I couldn't even sit in seiza without getting a "dame". I arrived back in the UK with both styles mixed together -- which didn't usually work out: for example, I'd have my feet positioned the Seifukai way, do an Aikikai-type movement and practically walk into a fist. In the short term, it was a pain although I guess now I'm starting to appreciate the extra perspective.
The best way to find out is to just try it for yourself though. Some styles conflict less than others.

Kind regards

Carl
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
wxyzabc
England

Hya Justin

Imho it really good to train with as many teachers and different styles as possible....I think its fair to say no one style is "perfect" and what may be lacking in one can be found in another.

I think my own understanding improved a fair bit when I started mooching around. That said it does bring its own problems....the aikikai grading system is not designed for people who dont commit to one dojo, and neither does it accomodate people who improve quite quickly. As one of my teachers said "we can keep doing the wrong thing over and over for 15 years"...looking around can help you find what works best for you and a reasonable teacher will allow some "flexibility of technique" in their dojo hopefully...unless you live in Japan..lol ^^
Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
crbateman

Better understanding comes from more complete information. But I would recommend that a person would better benefit from a good foundation in one style, rather than try to take multiple styles in as a beginner. That way, you will have enough experience under your belt to understand the differences (and the similarities) of other styles. Enjoy the journey.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

"Style" seems to create its own confusions. I can see the real need for people to have a home dojo where they can focus and grow. There are so many seminars that a person can begin to shift their focus around (this generally should begin after one has reached 3rd kyu. What I mean, I guess, is that one should not be afraid to venture out at this point). I also see the need for people to think of themselves as 'lifelong students', which is what O'Sensei said he was, and I have heard other shihan say the same thing.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-20-2007, 03:21 AM   #7
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Absolutely!!
Tony
Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Give Tomiki Aikido a try if you've only stuck to Aikikai this whole time.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Hell I'm Tomiki and I am enjoying training with the Aikikia here in China.

I think it is important to see other views but equally important to have a strong base.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
Christopher Gee

Dojo: United Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom

NO! THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY! THE WAY OF THE MIGHTY DEATH SWORD KAI KAN RYU!

On another note, variety is the spiece of life.

Either piece advice is good.

Regards,
Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, get a foundation in a style.
And, become a regular attendee at everyone's seminars.
Hope to see you at one.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #12
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

My .02: if you have multiple choices of styles to choose from, find the instructor that you are the most comfortable with, has great ability, and you like as a human being. Then get a firm basis in that particular style with that instructor. When sensei says you're ready to try other styles, then go ahead.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
IMHO, get a foundation in a style.
And, become a regular attendee at everyone's seminars.
Hope to see you at one.
I agree with this suggestion. The best means to get exposure to other styles of Aikido whilst still maintaining a solid & consistant technical foundation is to frequent seminars, Aikikai and non. Although some sensei don't mind "dojo hoppers," others do. By attending seminars, you can get a "sample" of the style w/o dojo hopping. Also, if by either dojo hopping or taking seminars you come to realize that you're with the best all-round instructor for your needs anyway, then you're spared those awkward situations of leaving a dojo. The Aikido community is, believe it or not, rather small & clannish. Keep that in mind.

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote: View Post
My .02: if you have multiple choices of styles to choose from, find the instructor that you are the most comfortable with, has great ability, and you like as a human being. Then get a firm basis in that particular style with that instructor. When sensei says you're ready to try other styles, then go ahead.
This is very sound advice, also. I live in a large Midwestern city with 5 active Aikido dojo, and a couple of McDojos that claim to offer "instruction" in Aikido. I "shopped" them all, observed a few classes at each, interviewed the chief instructor and asked very pointed (but polite) questions. Although affiliation was a topic of discussion, my criteria primarily revolved around two issues: 1) did I feel that I could, as a grown adult, learn from the instructor; and 2) did the students seem "happy" and view one another as a team.

I chose my current school primarliy because of the instructor, not his affiliation (which is non-Aikikai, by the way). You should always choose a dojo because of the instructor, not the school's affiliation. Only worry about affiliation when your 1st kyu, since affiliation only really effects yudansha, specifically those who want to go on and teach themselves.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
nikau
Dojo: Makotokan Budo
Australia

Brilliant response guys thatnks i really appreciate it.

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote:
this is how i chose my dojo. i was so impressed with sensei and his concern for developing his students that i knew i'd do well to train there.

Some really solid advice all round by everyone. I think i'll talk to my sensei and see what he recommends also.

THANKS.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

I had been practice Aikikai and Yoshinkan seperately, but i suffer Yoshinkan though and that tough practice is enjoyable to me

KamiKaze