Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #126
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: Ki ball of energy

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
I remember a story told by George Simcox sensei who was at the dinner table with Koichi Tohei ...
I wonder if this is a separate incident or if the story got modified when Tohei told it:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...9338#post89338

Old 01-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #127
mriehle

United_States

Just to stir things up a bit:

There was some discussion of unbendable arm. I was playing with this a few nights ago with a new student. He's a pretty strong guy and he doesn't really go for the mystical ideas about ki. In fact, he was quite skeptical about it.

But it worked. I could do it, no problem.

Thing is, he's strong enough that if it were just about muscle I shouldn't have been able to.

So I looked really hard at what was happening. And I noticed that he really believed he was pushing as hard as he could but he wasn't. Somehow I was convincing him that he was pushing with all he had and he wasn't anywhere near that.

So I thought about it for a while.

I wonder if this isn't what often happens.

I've always maintained that the so-called "mystical ki" is really a phenomenon, not a force. It happens when physics, timing and (for lack of a better word) psychology all come together in a particular way. It looks mystical because a lot of what's happening is happening on a subconscious level.

You know, this would make sense even when dealing with other martial artists who don't buy in to ki. If I can't influence you to change what you are doing it can very well be said that your ki is stronger than mine. It hardly matters how you got there, you did.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #128
Mike Galante
Dojo: Aikido of North Jersey
United_States

Kevin my old friend, well said.

All the Best to you,

Walk with Ueshiba,

Mike
Old 01-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #129
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Interesting points Michael Riehle!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #130
Esaemann

Mike,
Had an interesting conversation this weekend with my head Tai Chi (tui shou) instructor (Don) about this chat.
First off, we were talking about using jin (as opposed to muscling it) at the end of class.
The instructor in the form class said she was working on this by ... while bringing in the breath her rib cage relaxes and drops and the circle (including the back) around the pelvic area expands. On the exhale, contracting the perenium muscle. This helps with balance, as it consolidates everything into that pelvic area for a better center of gravity. E.g. I usually find I lose balance, especially with kicks, when much is going on in the upper body, instead on letting everything sink down. The power comes from the exhale actions.
Now Don stated that there are different ways to release jin. The way he thought about it while moving was relaxing with tension only at the instant of release; while meditating focusing on bringing a bright light into the bone marrow. I asked about the fascia that you mentioned. def. thin substance that connects muscle to bone (sound correct?) - since I didn't know. It sounds like (fascia or bone marrow) are different ways of achieving the same end. I've heard some about bone marrow cleansing and wonder if this is the same thing.

Eric
Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #131
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I train army guys all the time, guys that have no use for, or no concept of KI...nor have most of them heard about it. I discuss it with them and use the word and demonstrate what I am talking about. conceptually I know of no other word to describe the totality about what KI represents. Any western term or word that I can think of limits the concept. Energy doesn't describe it.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #132
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

This is one of the best demonstrations of ki and projection of ki that I've seen. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYSBqkx_gX4

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #133
mriehle

United_States
Unhappy Re: Ki ball of energy

It's...

...funny...

...sort of.

It'd be funnier if it were just a little further from the mark. Or closer. I can't decide.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:07 AM   #134
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Eric Saemann wrote: View Post
The instructor in the form class said she was working on this by ... while bringing in the breath her rib cage relaxes and drops and the circle (including the back) around the pelvic area expands. On the exhale, contracting the perenium muscle. This helps with balance, as it consolidates everything into that pelvic area for a better center of gravity. E.g. I usually find I lose balance, especially with kicks, when much is going on in the upper body, instead on letting everything sink down. The power comes from the exhale actions.
Isnīt this just regular aikido? As practiced in exercises like 1 suburi, morote dori kokyo-ho etc?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #135
Esaemann

Peter,
Not sure if this was a question for me. I guess I'll give an answer since I wrote the post.

Its not something that is discussed/emphasized in my Aikido dojo, at least not in that manner, which I do understand. I.e. If its a basic principle of Aikido, I would still not pick it up through Aikido.

But, we all learn in different ways.

Can we change the title of this thread? I keep cracking up over someone's (I think Kevin's) early comment about Ki balls for Christmas.

Eric