Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Amendes
Ever Jam your toes?

I walked into a tool box two weeks ago. It still hurts, especially when we do suwariwaza.

Anyone ever jam thier toes good? How do you usually speed up the healing?

One guy in taekwondo told me he had his jammed and in pain for a month before they felt better.

Oh boy, I don't wanna go a month with that sorta pain.
One things for sure, kneewalking is a good way to make sure you can still feel with your toes.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Ever Jam your toes?

IMHO, pull it to make sure its in joint and aligned, tape it to another toe for support, ice it down for inflamation, take it easy until it heals.

PS, if in doubt, check it out to make sure you didn't break it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai

I jammed my toe last year. Not doing suwariwaza helped, and I would sit in seiza in a way such that I wasn't putting pressure on the joint that was bruised. Basically refraining from things that irritated it helped me, and I would put ice on it in the evening after class if it was sore.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Have jammed, dislocated and broken toes whilst doing Aikido, although not all at the same time. Healing can take weeks depending on the nature of the injury, best bet is to get a professional opinion. It depends on which toes(s) and how badly injured as to how long before you can practice again and what you can practice.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Lynn's advice is good. Soft tissue will take 6 to 8 wks to heal and there is very little way to speed that "natural history"--but plenty of ways to interfere with it!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

If you can still do most parts of training without major pain, I would tape it to its neighbor toe and avoid suwari waza or whatever makes it hurt. If it hurts just from walking normally for more than a few days, you should get a doctor to check it out.
Gaia

Old 01-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
raul rodrigo
Philippines

I've dislocated and sprained toes. To this day I keep my left big toe taped because its still liable to hurt a great deal if it collides with someones ankle or the edge of a mat, as has happened a few times. After the dislocation, I stayed away from practice for a week and then avoided suwariwaza for a while. But now am scooting across the mat at my usual speed, no problems.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I've jammed toes a few times in aikido. Once someone fell on my heel while I was in a kneeling position (up on toes)...I thought the first big toe joint was destroyed it hurt so bad. It ended up being a soft tissue injury. I was battling that for months, taking it easy and trying to be careful. In the end what made it feel better (and my sore knee too) is when I was off the mat for three weeks due to the holidays and recovery from surgery (non-aikido related). Now neither the toe or knee hurt...but my muscles sure do as I get back into the swing of things

Tape it and rest it. If you keep stressing it you'll only keep injuring it.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I've never jammed a toe, a few fingers though. It is no different than any other injury, in the sense that you have to let nature take care of it.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Keep those mats together!

I have hurt my toes many times, fractured a couple too - all in Aikido. The culprit was always - the gaps between the mats. One time I went to the emergency room at the local hospital - just to check - like you do... There was a line of people with all sorts of horrors - and me, looking absolutely fine. I waited, and waited, and waited and felt worse and worse about it. Then some accident victim came in all smashed to bits and I thought - I'm OK - and hobbled out.

All you can really do is tape the toes together and try not to aggravate them for a few weeks. But when you tape it - be careful. If it is too sticky it'll hurt like hell when you pull it off to replace it. Or, you can wrap think gauze around it then tape on top of that. I prefer that way as it is easy to get it off. Forget suwari-waza for a while and be very careful with the breakfalls.

I have never jammed a finger in AIkido but did once in basketball at school. I threw the ball at the ring and it bounced straight back and hit the end of my extended finger head-on. It broke a piece off the bone and the Doc said it would take 10 years to disolve. It hurt for a few weeks.

And to relate to Bronson - above - if you throw uke over while up on your toes - that is OK if uke does go over. But if you are in a position where uke falls near your upright foot, I would put it flat on the floor lest uke fall on it and really take your foot out. One school of Jujutsu I was in insited it always be up, another always down. Up gives more power to the throw, down is safer and the throw depends on the body dropping. Or, you can throw iwth the foot up, then lower it as uke falls. Me, I think we need to make rational choices.

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 01-12-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
Amendes

Thanks for advice.

As for hurts from walking, heck since I've done that it always hurts a little no mater what I do now. Even if I am sitting on a chair with my foot in the air. But not bad till I do the kneeling. I don't think its broke because most the pain is from up before the toe where it connects to the foot. I am assuming something was sprained.

I will give it a couple more weeks and if things don't get better then see a doctor. I will also try the taping it to another toe for support when in class. I have lots of tape in my bag because I used to have to splint my finger for class when I did something simaler to it. Only My finger was not movable for quite a while.

That was another one of the times I was porbably supposed to see a Doctor and never did.

Funny with all the crazy throws and falls I have done I have never got an aikido injury. But I sure tend to hurt myself stupidly, like walking into tool boxes.

Side note, I seen one student break a toe one summer about 4 years ago after triping on a mat.
I remember it like it was yesterday. His big toe was facing the celing. He reached down, snaped it in place, and taped it and proceeded to finish class. However he did stop knee walking for a while.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Keep those mats together!

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
And to relate to Bronson - above - if you throw uke over while up on your toes...
Yeah, we were playing around and some mistakes were made. It was an accident...unfortunately they happen sometimes

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #13
Derek Webb
Dojo: MK Keihatsu & Phoenix Coventry
United Kingdom

Like most people who have stubbed toes at some time always found that time and not doing what hurts the most the best healer.

At a slight remove. I've got arthritis in the big toes and boy does that hurt at times! Getting older doesn't always mean getting wiser. Still train but find a way around the pain.

Regards

Delboy
Old 01-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
Amendes

Quote:
Derek Webb wrote:
. Still train but find a way around the pain.
Don't worry about that, It would take alot more then this to keep my from class.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I've jammed my fingers a couple of times and I'm sorry to report it was about a year before they completely stopped aching.

Jeanne